1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Irresponsibility in red- work title [July/14]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by hovek, 28 Mar 2014.

1. hovek

hovek “Can’t or won’t?” Sterling Archer

Hi guys.

Firstly, I'd like to say hello to everyone here, I'm Matt.... ("Hi Matt"- voices from the first row).:D
    I'm studying Mechatronics engineering, and working, so progress will not be the fastest here, but let's go!

I wanted to do Rendering of my project, but hmm... yeah... this build is basically cause I need something to run rendering software :duh:

After long preparation, and thinking, I finally decided to start my first project. Here's what I got so far as hardware goes:

- CM HAF 935

- Maximus VI Hero
    - i5 4670k
    - 16GB 2133 HyperX
    - Asus GTX780
    - CM G750M power (would like to change it to full modular)
    - 128GB SSD
    - 1TB/8GB SSHD

Watercooling.
    - EK block for 780
    - Phobya 360 kit
    - Hardware Labs Black ICE Radiator GT Stealth 360
    Will be getting more along the way :idea:

Started with striping the case a little. Working on some space to take better photos. You know plain background...

[​IMG]

Everything is working fine... Let's GO!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still waiting for the Stealth Rad but checking the fit with Phobya for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks
    Matt

Last edited: 18 Jul 2014
  2. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

Hi Matt :D

i need to give some rendering software a go :)

3. hovek

Sorted the taking photos problem and started working.

Got the bottom plate in place
    [​IMG]

New radiator arrived yesterday, it's only 5.5cm with fans so fits nicely in designated 240 spot after quick modification.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To be honest, I don't have to use another 360 here. Phobya has much lower fpi adn for i5 and gtx780, slim is enough i guess... correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm still debating myself on going into acrylic tubing, but I have to buy new power supply... something full modular 750W. See how credit card goes :D

Thanks You
    Matt

4. Rainmaker

Rainmaker What's a Dremel?

I think this will be a great build, a bit subtle for a casemod but great never the less. It's hard to say really as you don't have a render or a sketch for the build uploaded here, but you have a good case to build from and a dual 360 rad setup in such a small case has to be credited in either case :D

You could try to set up that hardware of yours in a testing build with stock coolers, that way you can render with it and test that it all functions properly. I'm going to use my very first case when redoing my current computer, that way I can use it regularly while I'm still doing the building on the case. It will be strange though to revert to a CM Centurion 534, and I will have to get creative with how I fit my AIO cooling.

Anyways, back to the point I was trying to make: It really is necessary to have at least a sketch of the project for your own sake, that way you know that everything will work before buying random parts (not saying you do). If you do have a sketch then you can just upload that for now as a placeholder if you want to upload a render.

Edit: forgot to write what I actually wanted to say. When it comes to that PSU, I wouldn't be bothered by the fact that it's semi modular since the cables that are not modular are needed anyways. So if you're not changing PSU to up your wattage or some other reason then I would suggest putting that bit of money to better use.

Last edited: 1 May 2014
  5. hovek

Thanks man.

PC is actually up and running for couple of weeks. Still waiting for few bits to start modding, but had to focus on college exams... Autocad stuff. Right after exam will strip it and start working for real.

I have few drowing i did for general idea, and will upload them soon... not quite there yet to do it in 3d ;)

Power will most likely stay the same, but i will add another ssd in that place.

6. Rainmaker

yeah, that's what I meant. Another SSD is always a sound investment. If nothing you will have less of a chance of ending up like "the angry german kid" when a large game is loading (something like Civ V or another large game that takes forever to load).

I'm actually working on something myself to get those pesky cables hidden since I don't even have a slightly modular PSU. I can share it here if I get anywhere with it :D

7. chilliewillie

chilliewillie What's a Dremel?

nice start man!

8. hovek

Now, I'm back.

Sorry for abandoning the project for so long, but motorbike "problem" and all the time and costs that came with strangled me a bit.

I got few more new power tool for the build in this time anyway.

Modding mode activated :)

9. hovek

I gathered some more tool over the unpleasant time ;)
    Starting to mode in the evening...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's a replacement beauty :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 1 Sep 2014
  10. hovek

Some progress, front bezel for top and bottom part of the case. Dry fit only.
    Flor done in black for the main case.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Moving forward finally.

11. Rainmaker

That is a nice front pannel, how exactly did you get suc clean cuts? It's really good to see the case getting together so I can see kind of where you wanted to go when you started :)

12. hovek

Thanks man.

Might trim it a little bit still, but better having it tiny bit to big than to small. Got it done i a local cnc shop...

13. Rainmaker

well that explains it, I kind of want to do something like that as well but CNC work is so expencive in Norway. Maybe I'll get some Acrylic cut while I'm here in Minneapolis :)

Either way, It's always great to see a build take shape. I'll keep an eye on this one :D