1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD packs Cyclos clock tech into Piledriver

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 21 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

would be intresting if you could explain how this technology actually works!! with processors becoming so advanced it becomes impossible to visualize what is actually happening!!

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

If you take a look at the article, the very last sentence links to a great write-up of exactly how the technology works - far more detailed than I could cram into a news post.

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

So Piledriver which many thought would be AMD's saving grace is more focused on lower power requirements rather than full on performance. I think we can safely say that there is absolutely no competition for Intel from the Mid range and up.

5. CAT-THE-FIFTH

CAT-THE-FIFTH What's a Dremel?

Trinity replaces Llano. Vishera replaces Bulldozer. If anything improved power consumption and TDP would mean Vishera will probably clock higher. At least from what I gather IPC improvements will be there although how high they will be is unknown. In fact the main improvements of the Phenom II were slightly improved IPC,together with higher clockspeeds and much better power consumption.

Anyway,we will soon find out how the Trinity CPU section performs compared to Bulldozer(which has L3 cache).

Last edited: 21 Feb 2012
  6. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

No, you have fundamentally misunderstood what it means.
    By reducing power consumption the CPU designer can either increase die size (increase performance) or increase clock speeds (increase performance) and still stay within design power bands (45w/65w/95w/125w/140+w).

It means that AMD can maximise the performance of their CPU design as much as possible within their power limits.
    This has no effect on whether or not it will beat or be competitive with Intel. Time will tell.

7. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

"Based on Piledriver-based x86 processing cores running at 4GHz and above"

Erm, that's surly not a good thing? What about 2-2.5Ghz?

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

How many times do AMD have to come out publicly and say "We can no longer compete at the top end, we are focussing more on low and mid ranged solutions that offer value for money" ?

Half of the problem with Bulldozer was, one again, expectation. I do lay some of the blame for that on AMD for being a one man band and running around with their bass drum making lots of "oompah" sounds and blowing their horn, but any one who actually thought it could take on Sandybridge was crazy.

The money for R&D just isn't there any more. The last time AMD competed at the top end they lost money on every CPU sold.

9. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

anyone else sick of AMD promises?

10. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

As much of an AMD fan boy as I am, I'm starting to loss faith. I thought Bulldozer might have done something big and I'm keeping an eye out for the Pile driver stuff, but I think my next big upgrade will be Intel based, if it all doesn't shape up to well. 990X sort of power and high clock speed would be good enough for me, but seem they are struggling to get to that level.

11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

What "promises" are these? Please post some links.
    Or are you referring to AMD fanboy expectations? A brand of troll whose delusions are matched only by those with blue or green tee-shirts.

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

agreed. amd isn't promising anything here, they're just stating that they're using a new-ish technology that will make a difference. they're not saying that this will be a deal sealer.

13. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

No, I don't think I have missed the point at all. TDP mainly affects clock speeds as you mentioned, but we learned years ago that a clock race just isn't enough to compete whether on low, mid or high end CPUs. You need to develop a good architecture that actually does something with the clock speed. Who cares if a certain AMD CPU can be overclocked to hit 4 or 5GHz when it is matched in terms of actual output performance by an Intel CPU running at stock speeds of less than half? Also, high overclocking also brings diminishing returns so the chips work out less efficient too.

The only thing AMD seems to announce these days is that their chips use less power while barely improving, and with Bulldozer, sometimes inferior performance.

As for the claims from AMD saying that they aren't trying to compete, it sounds like someone in a race who gets thoroughly beaten only to say that they didn't want to win and weren't actually trying.

14. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

All this based on a working chip back in 2009 and 3 years later AMD are only just getting around to include it in their processors, they seriously need to pull their socks up and get back in the game. If AMD or even Intel for that matter can bring a cool running 4Ghz multi-core/stream/whatever type of processor to the table with real performance gains then it would certainly be worth the purchase.

I can't help wonder what benefit the Cyclos technology might have in the ARM architecture.

15. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Sweet, now AMD chips will only be somewhat worse on power consumption than Intel chips, instead of HUGELY worse.

5-10% lower average power draw is nice, but it isn't all that much. Even a 25% peak draw reduction only puts it in the ballpark of Sandbridge equivelent power draw. Ballpark, not as low as, but ballpark. That doesn't even get in to over clocking where Bulldozer is drawing nearly twice the power of an overclocked sandybridge chip.

16. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Regarding expectations... Was I the only one who read the marketing that AMD produced before the FX launch, about it out performing intel chips? marketing is a promise of performance to be delivered, and the FX failed - read every review published. As for fan-boy-ism, grow up please - that's just something you heard on the internet that you don't understand and repeat parrot fashion. Yes, I have only ever bought AMD processors, (except in laptops and pre-build machines), I have AMD graphics cards (and a Nvidia in a ubuntu box), but I'd never defend a company who's products are poor by their own published standards - that's lying and deception.

I want AMD to succeed, I want them to do that by providing value for money products that are competitive at their price point. A die shrunk X6 1100 would have made more performance sense than an FX don't you think?

17. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Yo dawg, I put KERS in your processor so your computer can KERS while you play F1 2011

18. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Amd's promises?.....

Bulldozer was going to be a kicking cpu........... :-/

OpenCl is going to replace proprietary Cuda and Physx...... :-/

HSA is going to give their platforms an advantage as only they have both advanced gpu and cpu...... :-/ we'll see but I'm not going to hold my breath or buy into their promises until I see working adoption.

19. campdude

campdude What's a Dremel?

The FX series is pretty powerconsuming for the amount of preformance to start with.
    This new stuff might make it a normal chip.

20. yougotkicked

yougotkicked A.K.A. YGKtech

nice too see something like this finally getting implemented on a large scale. the potential for energy savings in computer design is enormous, and tech like this is a real step forwards in design efficiency, one which i believe intel will soon be forced to follow.

Tags: Add Tags