1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Sugru - Great material for PC Builders and Modders

Discussion in 'Modding' started by JohnHind, 27 Aug 2014.

1. JohnHind

JohnHind What's a Dremel?

I just wanted to put in a shout for this lovely stuff:

www.sugru.com

Not because I get any kickback from doing so, just because I have used it a lot myself and it is invented and made by a young entrepreneur with her own small start-up in my home town who deserves encouragement.

Sugru is a plastacine-like putty that cures to a hard rubber which can be easily trimmed by modelling knife. It is available in a wide range of colours including the vital (for modders) black. It is a good electrical insulator, is waterproof (it even cures under water), and it adheres well to metal and most plastics.

I have sucessfully used it to make custom back-shells for connectors (particularly those internal cable-to-board connectors for front panels and USB2). You can also trim down the original moulded plastic back-shell and patch it over with Sugru to change the cable exit angle, the colour or the physical dimensions. It is also great for patching insulation after you remove or move an insulation displacement connector on PSU cables.

It is also great for making ad-hoc mountings for components inside the case, for blocking unused cable holes and for creating coloured highlights. In my last build I used black Sugru on some Silverstone Air Penetrator fans to replace a tacky label covering an exposed circuit board and to fill a cable trench which had exposed multi-coloured wires spoiling an all-black aesthetic.

Great product, warmly recommended!