1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News UK government calls time on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 May 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I may work at a company, and at this company, maybe we have loads of customers in say, some sort of National Health Service. These companies may have made great progress migrating to Windows 7.

*Starts a slow clap*

Maybe it is going really well until 2020?

I tell you what did make me laugh recently was seeing that some of the departure boards at Gatwick were running XP. Also the country I went to, all of the PCs I saw in action not belonging to holiday makers, were XP.

3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You work for a high tech industry there mate. I work for an extremely large private company, the largest in fact, yet I get to work with operating systems that wouldn't look out of place on the screens of the Nostromo, right down to the single instruction at a time keyboard inputs.

I would probably have to kill to get XP.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I work for one of the five biggest websites in Australia. We run W7 and W8.1 (and Ubuntu LTS and OSX10.10 of course), and have test machines going for W10.

Just to make you jealous!

Last edited by a moderator: 27 May 2015
  5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

There are times I have to put people on hold or mute just to sigh. XP machines you have to dial into... on the flip side, no such issue with where I actually work. They are aware that at the end of the day it is up to the customer, & ultimately, whatever risk it creates is their decision. It's just really annoying when they ring up and say "this doesn't work anymore" and try and make it your problem that their 8.1 machine can't run software designed for XP when it was brand spanking new futuristic stuff, and no one was bored of those freaking hills.

6. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i work for a bank that is owned by a man with a beard. We still run XP. Office 97 is standard and in some instances we've even got visio 2003 installed.