1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia adds DSR to latest GeForce GTX drivers

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Oct 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is a nice feature for anyone who has a huge amount of GPU horsepower but a small screen – but who are those people? If you’ve spent £1k on GPUs – then not buying a QHD or better panel to go with them makes you a silly billy willy.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, why is rendering big, then downsampling better than rendering at native resolution?

4. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Ehh, it could be that I misunderstood the article, but what exactly makes this different from plain old FSAA?

5. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Sounds backwards, but if doing it that way and removing AA/AF is better than applying AA/AF then so be it.

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

DSR works pretty well, I gave Half Life 2 a quick blast a couple nights ago at 3360x2100 resolution on my 1680x1050 monitor. All the usual AA, AF etc can still be applied so it just makes it all slightly smoother.

I doubt when I upgrade my monitor that the gtx 970 will be able to give me 4k at 2560x1440 it just doesn't have the grunt.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Can't get to several articles once again due to 'Bad Gateway'... Is nothing being done about this?

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Nothing. This entire concept can be described using the word "antialiasing".

That's not to say it's bad, and antialiasing is a very good use of GPU horsepower. Most people can't see the detail in a 4K display most of the time, which is really just another vector for antialiasing. What's annoying about this is that it's another example of a company developing something utterly trivial then promoting it as if it's the second coming of deity-of-choice, because doing that is easier than real, actual achievement.

As if companies like this don't do enough real work on actual electronics development anyway!

P

9. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

@Parge - It's aimed more at those who have excess horsepower in some games (i.e. older or less demanding) but not in all.

@Xir - As others have said, it's essentially antialiasing the entire image. If you render at 4K, then downscale to 1080p, every pixel has been sampled 4 times from the 4K image to produce an "average" value for that pixel, which generally translates to a more convincing, smoother image even though you're still using the same number of pixels as simply rendering to 1080p.

@SchizoFrog - All I know currently is that we know and yes, it is.

@Phil Rodes - I don't think that's entirely accurate. Some games include an FSAA option like this natively (BF4's "resolution scale" but many don't and achieving it in others is not trivial; far from it in fact. Nvidia have essentially made it a universal option that can be accessed in one or two clicks or even automatically implemented for you through GeForce Experience. I think that ease of access is worth commending, even if the tech/concept itself isn't new and it won't be of use to the majority.

10. woods

woods What's a Dremel?

Had problems installing the new driver on my GTX 970, after uninstalling old drivers and installing the new ones I was getting white lines flashing through my screen and any text was unreadable, then when I tried to uninstall display port stopped working completly, had to boot in to safe mode to remove them. Did another clean install and everything has seemed allright. So I don't know what went wrong with the first install, going to check out what DSR is like on my 2560x1080 monitor and what games if any work

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Reminds me a bit of that cartoon of a toothpick factory where entire tree trunks are whittled down to individual toothpicks. :p

12. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I prefer just using a 4k or 5k monitor (once Apple allows them to be sold separately).

4k is so much better there is not even words for it, granted you need 3 Titans, but who cares!?

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

People on 'normal' wages with families care!

14. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

I played World Of Warcraft pre expansion patch using the GF Experience settings and must admit, the improvements using DSR were noticeable without any noticeable performance hit.

I'll try something more taxing over the weekend, but have to say it was impressive.

15. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

Or what about when you're playing an older title on your brand new hardware that, even with everything dialed up, isn't taking advantage of the power on offer? It's useful then.

For example, XCOM isn't a taxing game on PC (to be fair it wasn't when it was released) but cranking it up to 4K resolution on my 1080p monitor makes it look so much smoother - I can literally study any given frame and not detect a single jagged edge. At this resolution it looks pin sharp and still runs buttery smooth.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

:D Fantastic, that should be a tagline

Ooooh...if you have three titan's, will it run Crysis? :lol: