1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Hardware 27 - The Biology One

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

This week, Clive, Antony, Paul and Harry sit down to diligently cast a pod about the latest goings on in the PC hardware industry.

First on the agenda, rather predictably, is HP's recent announcement that it's pulling out of the computer hardware market; a move that affects not only its PC manufacturing business, but also its printer and tablet lines. It's a move that shocked the industry, but is it a sign of what's to come?

http://www.bit-tech.net/blog/podcasts/2011/09/06/hardware-27-the-biology-one/

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Thermaltake, raise your standard...

"I'M NOT DOING IT AGAIN, I DON'T CARE HOW BORED I SOUND".

I love the HW podcast <3

3. Tokukachi

Tokukachi Minimodder

I regards to GPU upgrades, I'm after a new one for BF3. I'm running a i5-760 @ 4ghz with a 5770, am I really going to gain anything upgrading to a sandy bridge system and a new GFX card as opposed to just sticking a GTX 580 in there?

I'm still using my Lian -Li PC60 from 2001, works great, no issues with cooling. I'm tempted to pick up a fractal design R3, but I'm finally getting somewhere with the design for my scratch build case so it's not worth it.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

The 580 would be a much better upgrade than the system, I switched from a Q9650 @ 3.8ghz with ddr2 to i5-2500k @ 4.5ghz with ddr3 & noticed only the memory was faster so go for the gpu I have the 580 & it plays everything very nicely :thumb: although it might be best to wait until the game is out in case it's another crysis & to play on max you need the next best :D, an upgrade based around a new game is definitely best to hold on & see how demanding the game is :).

5. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Yeah, what he said

6. Ghast

Ghast uh...

I just want a mouse pad that doesn't attract fur. Damn cats are throwing off my mouses laser.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

8. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

It's called a mousepad for a reason?

I'll get my coat...

9. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Hmmm new sound processor from creative soon :) x-fi was awesome & still is but I'd still sooner go with auzentech for sound so hopefully if the new processor is great auzentech will get a license on it :D auzentechs drivers are awesome :) I just find it crazy that most uk shops don't sell auzentech :eeek:.

Oh yeah I can't wait for next gen consoles so pc games should get a whole lot better too :D.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

when Paul was talking about moving to IP based industry, Made in Britain BBC show is good to show that. also, you forgot to mention the biggest IP seller in the world: ARM.

speaking of in the cloud computing: funny how we've came a full circle. :D before microcomputers, everyone used thin-clients where calculation are done on mainframe.

Re casing: p182 been with me since 2007 (where it's been recommended by Bit-tech until end of 2008) not felt the urge to upgrade except to down-size my build to FT03, on my next mobo/CPU change (Ivybridge?)

and it's NOT a fridge! :p

btw, i entered competition with this one and last gaming one as "Gaming 26" and "Hardware 27". hope that can get pass your spam filter.

11. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

You know WebOS isn't pronounced Webos don't you? Its Web OS. Are you guys trolling? :/

I look forward to seeing what creative come up with in the soundcard front but honestly not expecting much. My main use would be games and seeing as NO ONE will support their standard I guess Its going to be more professional based.

Is holly from Red Dwarf doing the Thermaltake advert?

Good podcast by the way :)

12. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Just listened to the podcast. Another piece of hardware in your PC thats worth spending proper money for the long term is your PSU. As you can see from my signature, my rig is top of the range in nearly every way. The only component that has stood the test of time is my trusty Corsair HX620. It has powered a 8800 GTS (320MB), 9800 GX2, 260 GTX, 260 GTX in SLI, 6870 GTX and now a 580 GTX.

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

amen to that.

my Hx620 powered: 8800GTX, gtx260, 5870 with gtx260, 5870 with 8800GT, gtx580. only upgraded because i saw a good deal, and had plans for another slightly less power hungry machine.

Sound card, case, PSU, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers are all really good hardware to spend that little bit more on. i'll also add RAM and HDD, since those two are pretty long lasting if you buy enough of it first time round.

14. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like you need to re-modulate your mouses laser to compensate for your cats furry defenses, perhaps using rotating frequencies might help, lol

15. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Until my MB blew up a few weeks ago, my entire system is circa 2005.
    Athlon 3500+
    Asus A8N-E (nForce 4 Ultra)
    PC4400 DDR
    AC Freezer 64.
    CM Centurion 530.
    Viewsonic VP201b

Tags: Add Tags