1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam STEAM... be careful

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by llah66, 24 Apr 2010.

1. llah66

llah66 What's a Dremel?

Just went to purchase COD4 for my son today as he has now progressed from consoles to pc's to play games on,so used mine and my wife's joined bank account details to purchase said game from steam .
    Four times i was told that the card had been declined so got the wife to ring up and find out why, bank could not understand why the card had been declined so went through what we had purchased today on it,guess what even though steam had said card declines they still took out the £9.99 each time .SO checked sons e-mails and at the moment have received 2 e-mails tell me that the card has been declined so thats the end of me buying anything of steam,bank was good enough to cancel the 4 purchases as we phoned up in time so everyone if a purchase is refused because card is declined check with your bank as they might still take money out of your account:nono:

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Err, try that explaining that again with some punctuation please.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

4. st1x

st1x Surviving on low specs since '86

Thnx for the heads up however...

You bought it 4 times, had a problem with the payment which you investigated and sorted out... and the next bits the kicker :thumb: ...

You deleted it 4 times... so your son could not play the game you just bought for him :wallbash:

Or did you suddenly realise that he is under 16 and didn't want it to lead to :waah:

Karma perhaps? :hehe:

Nic

5. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

+1

6. reggie50

reggie50 Minimodder

I had a similar problem once with my credit card, it kept getting declined by Steam, the CC company said they were authorising it. It didn't charge each time though , just pre-authed the money (reserved it in case the transaction went through)

BTW, I would strongly advise against using a debit card for internet purchases, always use a credit card. That way if there is any issue you can leave it to the card company to recover from the seller not have to try it yourself.

7. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

^this

Whenever you make an purchase online using a debit card, the funds are pre authorised. If the transaction fails for some reason, you will find that your bank account will still be minus the amount you tried to spend. Usually after a day or two it sorts itself automatically. Calling your bank can have the pre-allocation cancelled.

The OP would have been in this situation. If the money was taken from the card then the bank would have asked you to speak to the retailer for a refund, unless you did not make the transactions (which it would then cancel your card and start a fraud investigation).

It's annoying but it's not as bad as people make out. Steam aren't taking your money for failed orders.. it's just how card payments work online thats the problem.

8. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I use paypal with steam never had a problem with them.

9. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

+1

10. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I have bought a ridiculous number of games on Steam, using a debit card, and can honestly say I have never had any problems with them, I guess it's just the luck of the draw.

11. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

+1

12. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

If you think this is in any way specific to buying with Steam then all I can say is uhh... welcome to shopping online? :eyebrow:

Also, punctuation is one problem, but please try to put your post into paragraphs in future. I could barely bring myself to read that wall of text.

13. Akava

Akava Lurking...

+1 (to both points), bad punctuation isn't such a problem when it's in small chunks.

14. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Ack, double post :sigh:

15. Green-Hornet

Green-Hornet I am Green and I Sting

I am amazed that any of you can spell, never mind call anyone for punctuation.
    Rather than call for bad grammar why not answer the question? Or do you have to impose a superiority complex to make you all look important?
    I guess if you had a full knowledge of Latin you would transpose what I have said as (just answer the question if you know the answer if not shut the proverbial up).

Back to the OP.
    I have not had this problem, I would guess this would be a problem with all types of on-line type of transactions.
    For you who think grammar is more important than an answer, then consider this nec aspera terrent.

SazBard likes this.
  16. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

1. The OP never asked a question, so there is nothing to answer.
    2. Several posters gave feedback anyway.
    3. If you feel strongly enough to start a topic on a public forum, it's common courtesy to have it be somewhat readable.

17. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

Really Hornet? There's a difference between using short-hand and completely foregoing any type of formatting. Trying to sort through what someone said with what is literally a WALL of text is incredibly more difficult than trying to determine what someone is trying to say in short-hand typing.

I've gotten to the point that I can manage to read 95% of short-hand type without any hesitation. Trying to analyze sixteen lines of text in a block still proves much more difficult. When more than two people are having a difficult time in reading a post, regardless if it's short-hand or lack of any formatting, something WILL be said about it.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

What question, smartarse?

19. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

If you want to be that much of a nazi about it, go to the spelling and grammar thread and pick us apart there. Understand that not everyone has a 100% perfect grasp of the English language, and as such there will be errors, like others have said, reading a wall of text is difficult to put it softly.

As for the OP, I haven't had any problems with it, I guess there could have just been an error with their system and you were the unlucky one who found it. I wouldn't cast Steam off to the side just because of that. **** happens, and you have to deal with it, nothing bad come of this error. So I wouldn't worry too much :thumb:

20. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Don't care about the spelling but I disagree with the OP using a debit card for the internet, it'll never be that secure for me - I use a credit card for all my internet shopping, if there's any kind of fraud I want more rights than having to deal with just my bank and hoping they're in a good mood that day.

In fact Nationwide called me up during a Steam sale because one midweek-discounted game cost £3, but L4D2 cost £27 or so pre-ordered - they said that it fitted a fraudulent pattern to have a small transaction go through followed by a large one, so called me up to make sure they were genuine! So I've kept that credit card knowing their fraud department's keeping an eye out!