1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Suitable Watercooling for spec + Case + Power Supply

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Auxilliary, 16 Sep 2011.

1. Auxilliary

Auxilliary Crashes into space stations

So i have finally managed to get a full time job and I am going to be building a new rig as the one i have is really starting to show its age.

What i would like to know is what watercooling parts are going to be sufficient for this build and also what case would this all fit in.

The Build i have specced up is this:

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z Z68
    RAM: 16Gb Corsair Vengance Racing Red 1600MHz (2x 8Gb Kits)
    Graphics Card: 2x EVGA GTX580
    SSD: 240Gb OCZ Vertex 3

As you can tell from the title of this post I would like to know:

1. What Watercooling setup would be sufficient for all of this?
    2. What case is going to best to house it all?
    3. What power supply would be sufficient to power it all (ie: will my power supply in my sig be enough?)

The power supply in my sig is this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/850w...-80-plus-silver-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-fan-atx

Also, if possible I dont really want people to say what ive specced up is overpowered and such as I want this computer to last for a good few years. bear in mind the one in my sig has lasted me 3 years so im hoping this will last longer.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

If you've not done watercooling before, read my thread.

As for cooling, a RX360 will handle that heat output easily, with a D5 pump and some good waterblocks (EK for the 580's and I go for a Swiftech Apogee XT for the CPU)

My thread should answer any other questions you have :)

As for the case, you'll want something that'll fit a tripple rad, like a HAF 932/X or Xigmatech Elysium, or at the high end a TJ-07.

For PSU I'd go for a 850W or 1KW PSU :)

3. Auxilliary

hey Bloody_Pete reading your thread is actually what made me want to watercool this build :)

Im guessing you can get the RX 360 and the D5 pump from Scan?

I quite like the TJ07, so ill probs get that

and you say a 850W power supply, so im hoping the one linked at the bottom of my first post would be suitable?

4. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

How much noise are you willing to suffer?

This is the most important question you need to answer, because it will define how much radiator estate you're going to need. One RX360 will suffice, but will require more air to be blown through the radiator - which results in more noise. It's very much a personal thing - Pete might be happy to sit next to his GT's blowing near full swing, I don't want to be in the same room with them going anything past 1k rpm.

Same goes with pumps - Laing DDC and it's different versions is probably the most popular pump atm. D5 vario is more quiet.

How much of a factor added bling is to you? Fullcover GPU blocks can look very nice, but are expensive compared to universal GPU blocks, and can only be used with a certain card.

850W is plenty, I have tested my rig with 2 GTX480s and i5 @ 1.4v and it draw 600W from wall socket while running Furmark + Linpack simultaneously. No real world situation will see that level of load, ever. 1kW is for dick-swinging contests.

Also, take a look at LC section of Xtreme Systems forums, if you haven't already .Plenty of gorgeous systems there for your inspiration, even if the userbase is somewhat inclined to exhibit unnecessary amounts of drama. Pete is doing a rad job here but b-t just doesn't have very active watercooling community.

5. Auxilliary

personally i'd like it to be pretty quiet, one reason why im choosing watercooling, and im gonna be using the Fullcover blocks because they just look so much better than the universals.

At least my power supply is powerful enough then, thats good :) and ill take a look over there then, thanks

6. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My GT's are quieter then a Xbox 360 mid gaming, my GF's xbox is way louder than my PC :p And as for a pump, use the foam dampener I linked in my thread, makes my D5 silent even when set to full power :)

7. Auxilliary

looking at cases would the Corsair 600T be able to hold everything, because i really do like that case but im not sure if its big enough?

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I'd think about getting a Swiftech 35X pump. Although a bit louder at full speed than a D5 or DDCs the PWM means you can control the speed so have it running at minimum speed at low load and ramping up to higher speeds with high loads.

Asus boards come with a particularly good PWM controller (Fan Xpert) that has a number of presets and a customisable option e.g. I have mine set to run at 20% until the CPU temps hit around 50ºC when the pump speed increases to 60%. At 20% it's really quiet in that I can't hear it and at 60% it's slightly louder than a D5

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That'll be too small I'm afraid buddy :(

10. Auxilliary

hmmm thats a shame :/, as the case is going to be on my desk i dont really want a huge case, id like to make this quite compact if possible.

its just hard finding a case as im not sure where the radiator could go and how big it actually is.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Big, but then to cool those GPU's you'll need a big rad. So you can get a smaller case and go for a all-in-one WC system for the CPU of a big case and WC the lot.

12. SlowMotionSuicide

This is one fundamental point we differ in opinions. My D5 is becomes loud if set over 2, even when I hold it in my hand. I admit were not using the same top, and there might be individual differences on pumps, but silent? I doubt it.

Also, I can tell you there's lots of people in XS who claim multiple 1850rpm GTs are inaudible one meter from their heads. I'd hate know what they'd call loud. True though, these people are also known to have used industrial grade Deltas for benching sessions.

How one experiences noise is very much a personal thing, so it's pretty dangerous to give absolute statements. Some things you need to find out yourself.

Below are some pointers for noise levels.
    [​IMG]

Not really.
    [​IMG]
    D5 has maximum nominal discharge of 1200 LPH.
    MCP35X has maximum nominal discharge of 1050 LPH.

For what it's worth, MCP35X is probably better choice for since it has way more head ( tightly packed loop will have lots of tight bends which will introduce more restriction, thus dropping the overall flow rate),and small pump is MUCH more easier to place, especially in smaller case. MCP350 and 355 are worth considering, too.

As you have probably already noted, you're in for a lots of studying.

You can fit 240mm rad on top and 200mm on the front, might wanna check this out.. Should suffice for said components. Do mind though, building a loop in midtower will be more complicated and requires very careful and thorough planning. And once you get the bite, you'll be wanting more spacious case soon anyway. There's a very good reason for why both me and Pete sport a ridiculously huge cases for example.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Maybe you had air caught in it or a dodgy bearing, as mine was seriously quiet, when I was leak testing I had to touch it to check if it was working...

And I have very sensitive ears but only to buzzing and vibrating, the sound of rushing air is soothing and pleasing to me, as thats what the GT's produce :)

14. SlowMotionSuicide

Fundamental differences.

It's altogether different kind of sound of blowing I found pleasing ;-)

15. Auxilliary

i have nothing to say to the last comment.... ;) thinking about small builds im wondering if i could manage to stuff it all in my HAF 912, as that would be awesome because I love the case (i know some people hate it, its a bit of a marmite case lol).

Looking at it i can fit a rad that has 2x 120mm fans on the top and a rad that has a single 200mm fan at the front, but are those actual types of rads availiable and would they be good enough?

ill be mega happy if it would

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Not without modding I believe...

17. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

You can always hang a rad off the back. It doesn't look great but it works.