1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eidos: 'Deus Ex bosses were our fault'

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Nov 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Deders

Deders Modder

I'm still not too sure what all the fuss was about, Even if you had come with a stealth character they were easy to defeat once you started to think outside the box. Did seem a bit consoley and I much preferred the DX1 bosses for immersiveness, and come to think of it they will never be anywhere near the all time greatest bosses hall of fame but they really made me take more note of my surroundings and think about the way I approached them.

3. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

The boss fights didn't bother me... although when they happened my reaction was more like "Oh a boss fight... haven't had one of these in ages!" :p

4. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

I had no problem with the boss fights whatsoever. They certainly weren't nearly as bad as some people make out. Yes, a non-combat solution might have been good but it if that's the biggest complaint then they should be glad.
    Some of the comments on various gaming websites are ridiculous, like that the boss fights ruined the game. Nonsense.

5. zelloxy

zelloxy What's a Dremel?

The bosses sucked that much that when I came to the 3rd boss (I think) I gave up. The game became horrible just because I had to redo the bosses ~10-30 times to figure out a technique that would work as stealth.

6. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

Controversial boss fights? Since when did controversial become a synonym for crap?

7. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

The only boss that really annoyed me was the first one, mainly because I had to tackle him with just a pistol and a decided lack of upgrades and there just wasn't really much in the way of cover to take advantage of since he persisted in throwing grenades to flush me out after only a few seconds. By the time I got to Boss #2 I had a rocket launcher and Boss #3 went down in seconds thanks to the grenade launcher I found, so they weren't really hard so much as they were annoying distractions from being a fun sneaky stealth person.

If there was any real problem with HR it was the ending, or more accurately the lack thereof. I know the fact that it's a prequel means they're somewhat limited in where they can take the story, but it felt way too much like Fallout 3's ending with the total lack of resolution or relevance to how you decided to play the game.

8. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

at least they got it right in the Missing Link DLC, Apex Predator Cheesecake

9. roosauce

roosauce Looking for xmas projects??

The boss fights may have been a bit forced, but not enough to destroy the experience by any means. The first one was pretty tough mind you, given my relatively weak character at that point.

I thought the game was rubbish at first, but it really grew on me after a bit of dedicated play. All up it was a solid & interesting game IMO.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

Gas Cannisters near the wall pretty much stopped him in his tracks when I threw them at him, making him an easy target.

11. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

Have to agree that the 1st boss was the hardest of all four. Grenades + Not dying to clips emptied in his face. I found that his reload time was too short as well. Very harsh encounter for those playing stealth. (don't know about those playing non stealth).

Think the endings + bosses were the weakest element, but it remains my favourite game this year. Have to admit, it's been a long long time since I had a good game ending though. I guess they'll fill the blanks in between DxHR and DX 1 with DLCs though maybe?

12. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

I didn't really have a problem with the boss fights, I was playing on the Deus Ex setting and they didn't take long without any real combat enhancements provided you picked up on the clues. The cut scenes screamed there will be a boss fight soon and placed supper weapons in not very well hidden locations.

The first guy fell to rockets and gas that I had been carrying around for a rainy day, the second to a fully upgraded sniper rifle and the third to my giant freaking laser.

What disappointed me was the point at the end where it basically said forget everything you have been doing because it's time for ... ZOMBIES!
    Oh yeah and Press button one for ending 1, Press button 2 for ending 2, Press button 3 for ending 3 and Press button 4 for ending 4.

13. ProAken

ProAken What's a Dremel?

completely agree, well besides the zombie part I just culled all of them that stood in my way, nothing more enjoyable than chugging down on cyberboost and holding Q, i was hoping for a part where i could do mindless killing and it was granted, but again the ending part of the game was absolutely dire at least let me kill all the other choices sheesh....

14. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

Well, I really enjoyed HR. And surelly it is one of the best games this year so far. I had some hard time with the first boss too, but that´s part of the game, right?

This and when to save backups. Never played the original one (my bad), and still think this is a great game.

15. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

I typhoon'd the first boss the rest was a peace of cake...

16. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

played on the hardest difficulty with a stealth character, the first boss probably took a good 30 minutes and multiple retries to beat but it was possible.

As mentioned they do feel really out of place and force, I don't recall the original having much in the way of boss fights, there was times when you fought major characters but save for the end most of them didn't feel "bossy" in that you were in a room and they had a bunch of skills and health compared to you.

I could be wrong haven't played it in years. Point is seems like they dropped the ball on the boss fights, it is a sore spot in an otherwise very awsome game, it doesn't ruin it, it's like eating the crust to get to pizza.

17. Aragon Speed

Aragon Speed Busily modding X3: Terran Conflict

+1

Nice analogy. :)

18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

<pedant mode>
    "Controversial" is apt. Just because you have pronounced the bosses to be "crap" doesn't automatically make them so. Your opinion is that they were crap, other gamers either didn't much care, didn't care at all or actually liked them. With a wide range of opinions, of which yours is only one, "controversial" is entirely appropriate.
    </pedant mode>

I thought they were inappropriate but I didn't much care. The game was great fun and they didn't sour me on the whole. In fact they presented a bit of a challenge and a bit of active relief from all the sneaking, the waiting and the "taking burly men from behind".

19. Anneon

Anneon What's a Dremel?

Only thing I found annoying was the number of restarts and having to skip a stoopid cutscence at every retry. Still they did seem a bit out of place.

20. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

He was referring to
    Ie 'controversial boss fights were crap' in technical English. It's true - controversial is totally over-used nowadays. Controversial for me means a marmite situation - not crap without meaning to sound too judgemental.

Tags: Add Tags