1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V mp3 player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 14 Feb 2015.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

What kind of options do I have for portable music listening?
    I skipped ipod era and don't really know what is the best stuff nowadays to listen music outdoors.
    Please en-light me:)

2. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I guess most people just use their phones now, large amounts of storage, endless different streaming options and podcasts

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I came at the question from a slightly different angle but this might help.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Comes down to what you prioritise; cost, battery life, file format compatibility, sound quality.

When I was looking over a year ago, I wanted something small, decent sound quality, fairly cheap and expandable storage. I settled on the sanDisc Sansa Clip+. You can get one for around £35 and for that it's fantastic value. Of course, your requirements may be different.

Incidentally, I have since lost my Sansa clip + as it was too small.

5. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Either a phone or something like a Sansa clip+. If you're seriously into music, you can find a classic ipod on ebay, but buying an ipod for something you may not use often is just not worth it to most people.

ipod classics have the best capacity with about 120GB of space in most cases, great audio too. You can get a Sansa Clip+ which is an mp3 player with upgradable memory for £35, great value. There are alternatives, like FiiO's lossless mp3 player for the best audio around, but it's kinda pricey at around £80. Or you can use a phone and put a big micro SD in it, unless you use an iphone, then you're stuck with it's small capacity.

I've got a moto G with a 32GB microSD in it. Really good. My library is much bigger, but I can put all of my favourites on it.

6. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I have Sansa Clip+ too. The OS is a little bit annoying, in my opinion, but it gets the job done. It's relatively cheap, and it's light and can clip on somewhere.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Well, I have my samsung galaxy S4 which also using as mp3 player, but thought that there's maybe something better in terms of music quality.
    Thank you all for your suggestions.:thumb:

8. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

I've heard Cowon mentioned a lot for sound quality. Some people use portable headphone amps and stuff like that to boost sound quality too.

9. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

i used to use Sansa Clip+ with a 64GB memory card but after i lost it i started to use my smartphone (with a 64GB memory card)

there's no reason to carry another brick sized device to listen to music imo, since most of the time you'll be hearing a lot of background noise anyway...

10. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I think a phone is the best bet here. If you want quality, use a portable DAC as well.

11. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This.
    If your primary concern is sound quality a small portable DAC and headphone amp combo combined with your S4 via USB OTG is the way to go.
    My mate has a Fiio (this one believe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/FiiO-Portable-Headphone-DAC-Amplifier-black/dp/B003N0XDT4/) that he connects to his S3 and it's nice bit of kit.

That said, I have a Clip+ too and it's a nice thing if you do want something compact and totally independent of your phone.

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I use my 64gb iphone and I don't think I could ever change back.
    Any trips long enough to warrant needing a standalone I just take my battery pack instead.

I also stream spotify to it and follow then download playlists when I want something different.

Finally I stream bbc radio and tune in radio when I'm working.

Finally if I can't find a song on those methods I use YouTube.

I would say though ensure
    a) you have the right phone contract
    b) get a good quality battery pack that you can connect your charger wire to but isn't too large. The direct connection ones seem like a pain.
    c) find some decent headphones. I like buds as they stay in nicely and you don't have to have them too loud to block out public noise.

13. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Using my phone for music is a pain, so I got this Sandisk Zip Clip.
    Brilliant little expandable unit with a standard mini usb connector.
    Also comes with a radio.
    Cracking unit.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gnOgNiO9E8g

14. Zener Diode

Zener Diode User Title

^Thank you! I have changed to rockbox :D So far, I'm liking it a lot better than the original OS.

15. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Thanks for the tip, downloaded some custom UIs, much better!

16. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

I first found Rockbox when I wanted to de-Apple my iPod and I've been using it on my Clip+ ever since. This is also a +1 to the Clip+, I'm using it for work and in the car and it's perfect. It's a great little bit of kit, made all the better by Rockbox.