1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Paradox Interactive announces Salem MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Jan 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That sounds incredibly interresting, though the inevitable griefiing is going to suck.

3. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

instantly i think "will the resources used be less than resources gained from pilaging my neighbours village"

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

P4R payment model

(pay for resurrection?)

5. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

sounds very very interesting

6. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Interesting idea. If it is free to play then I will definitely check it out.

7. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

any permadeath mmo will never have a huge fanbase. Basically people want to play a "game" dick around and occasionally run into the enemy base or take on a boss they know they'll never beat. Permadeath mmo's discourage that because there's a huge time investment that can be lost at any second.

There's always gonna be hardcore people who like the thrill of living on the edge. But there will always be a lot of rage quits, when your client locks up and your toon auto runs into an enemy base, or you lag out and log on dead.

Could still be a good game, but I find permadeath annoying. One of my two biggest dislikes of eve (ship death and only mining as the player run economy activity)

8. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

It's probably just as well that they're going f2p.

9. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

The only thing I can think of is how pissed people will be when the inevitable greifing ensues, with people burning down other people's homes, with them inside.... mwaaahaaa

10. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Second though,

I am thinking of just hoarding resources...

11. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

One player who matters, an army of expendable droogs dying by the dozen to gather what they need.

Not saying this isn't a very interesting concept, but I can see it turning into something akin to 28 Days Later as new characters are created merely to murder and swarm the sane.

12. CardJoe

See, my first thought was; 'There's business to be made collecting dead peoples stuff and selling it back to them.'

13. Deadpunkdave

Deadpunkdave ...why you need a 20-sided die

If nothing else, this will be great experiment into the nature of trolls hehheh. More seriously, it's popularity will ask and answer some more basic gaming questions: Do we play MMO's for enjoyment or escapism. With perma-death, is the escapism enhanced or reduced? How much do we define our characters by ourselves and ourselves by our characters?

Well, it seems interesting to me anyway, I'm sure someone can drag a thesis out of it ;)

14. Xir

Xir Modder

They've got to balance it somehow, otherwise I can create an Idiot with a torch in five minutes, and burn down the house someone else built aver the course of months.
    What's my incentive for building a house, or investing playtime at all?

15. CardJoe

The same can be true of Minecraft too, but people still play that.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

...must have missed that part of minecraft...I was single player and bored out of my wits

17. Fenrisphantom

Fenrisphantom What's a Dremel?

For those who have not played HnH (Haven and Hearth) and want a idea of what type of Gameplay will be in store then i suggest you go check it out its free but i warn you if you play games only for graphics then you will bore quickly of it and should just wait for Salem (also no QQ because you got kill by a boar or bear or a random griefer kills you there no support but that of player that like the role of bounty hunts (they call them self rangers in game))

As to the perma death system this is in HnH as well and heres how it worked

In game players had something called a belief slider that effected stats, exp gain, and the such. One of the slider effected two called "Tradition" and "Change". Now there was plus and negatives no matter what slider you moved but this one effected you the most having full "Tradition" meant players one death would get somewhere around 75% of the full stats when they "ancestored" a character that died but it came at a exp while full change add around a 120% bonus to exp gain but if you died you end up with around 25% of your total stats. There was a second effect but that only effected how long before one could move there slider in one tick in a certain direction with tradition upping the time and change lowering it

Tags: Add Tags