1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage needing large HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hairyknacker, 26 Oct 2015.

1. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

Guys and gals
    Due to limitations of new office space, I no longer have the space for my external NAS which I keep my large collection of iTunes/mkv/mp4 etc files which will be streamed from the dedicated media pc

I need around 12TB of storage with space for additions and have space in my case for 2 3.5" drives- my NAS is out of bounds due to space- DONT GO THERE :eyebrow:

Would a couple of these Seagate 8TB archive drives be any good for this or are they not meant for anything other than backups?

Thx

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I've been using an 8TB archive for 4-5 months now and its been rock solid (using it in a low power, always on hyper-v server). I still have everything backed up to a stack of old 250-750GB drives, but that's just matter of course.

So long as you only use it for write once, read occasionally (page files are a definite no-no), I doubt the failure likelihood will be any different than a normal drive (maybe even less so).

3. hairyknacker

hairyknacker Minimodder

thanks for that PB- only looking to move all my media files to it once then stream occasionally
    will order a couple of them and see how I go