1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 4K vs 1440p

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 21 May 2015.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Guys, this may be a stupid question, but I'm lost a bit in that resolution race...
    What are advantages of having 4K screen?
    I mean, does it add more field in gaming vs 1440p?
    Am I going to see more field for example in strategic games than playing on 1440p res screen?
    Or is this only going to make all more "sharp" and detailed..?

Last edited: 21 May 2015
  2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

More sharp and detailed - it's the same aspect ratio so you won't see any more than before but it'll all be nicer to look at. Incredibly hard to run the top end games at 4k though

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That's what I suspected..:/
    I found 1440P res a sweet spot, never saw 4K but I presume it's not that much more to justify the costs of hardware upgrade.

So to get more field in games, would ultra wide screens help? Like 21:9 ones?

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Yeah, that's right.

For me, driving 4K (or even 1440p) monitors is too much of an outlay in GPU horsepower. I’d rather have 2560*1080, 60fps, all the details turned up, a wider field of view and spend slightly less.

Or, you could just forget about monitors entirely and embrace our VR overlords come Xmas.

Last edited by a moderator: 21 May 2015
  5. GeorgeK

Exactly right - a wider resolution would get you more field of view. I like 1440p exactly for what you have said - better resolution that 1080p but much, much easier to drive that 4k

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yeah I know what you mean Tom, but the problem is, I don't really know what to do now - I'll be selling my DK2 as soon as they announce pre-ordering, but then would Vive be better than CV1?
    I have very high hopes in those new lens in CV1, what I smply want from Rift is to play Elite and easily read stuff in game, SDE is a pain for me, I stopped playing on DK2:(

7. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Even when VR arrives I think you'll use a decent monitor for certain games and when you just want to chill and CBA to put a headset on, I still havent got my head around how 3rd person will work in VR.

1440p is a really nice res for the moment I think, unless you want to be spending silly money on Titan's every year, some people like new tech enough or earn enough for that but I have other things I like to spend my money on like beer and holidays, and beer holidays.

8. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It will be game dependent but the higher resolution when matched with an appreciable increase in screen size will allow you to see more even with the same aspect ratio due to being able to run different zoom levels and still see detail so in effect yes a bigger field, also higher the res smaller the GUI so again bigger field, not sure what many are talking about in this thread, can't play many RTS. Similar benefits for CAD and Photo stuff too with more canvas space relative to pallets/menus etc.

These benefits aren't really experienced if you go from 27" 1440p to 27" 4k as you have to scale these things (HUD/UI) to see them but keeping similar pixel pitch the benefits become apparent, so 40-42" 4k for example.

Play your game in 720p without scaling on your 1440p to see what I mean, same aspect ratio but different resolution has impact.

running strategy games on 4K won't be as GPU intensive as say running a big budget first person shooter, big 4k is awesome, and RTS can often be played in very low fps.

VR will not be so hot for RTS without a revolution in GUIs on RTS games, it will also come with detail drop.

Last edited: 21 May 2015
  9. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

But 1440p is getting close the limit of what the naked human human eye can distinguish. 4k is well beyond the point of diminishing returns.

My 1920x1200 monitor is about 550mm wide so that's about 0.286... ~0.3mm pixel width. Assuming you sit about half a meter away from the screen, that's ~ 0.3mm/500mm = 0.006 radians across, or about 0.035 degrees. The absolute hard limit on what you can distinguish, based on the diffraction through a pupil-sized apeture is about 0.007 degrees. So 4k, which would have twice the density as that, is skirting the limit of what it is physically possible to distinguish with flawless eyesight.

So you either need a bigger screen or to sit closer.

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed, I did put

Fleshed it out a bit more above, probably same time as you were writing that :D.

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So is there any monitor I could upgrade to?
    I have Hazro 27" 1440p 60Hz...
    Is there anything worth upgrading?

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

Unless you want a higher refresh rate or a larger physical screen size not really

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The only thing worth upgrading to IMO would be a 30" display, but in some ways it may be considered a downgrade for you because the dot pitch would increase a little. Still, given the choice between 27" and 30" I'd always go for 30".

NRG:IT currently have a refurb U3014 on ebay for £679 which is an incredible bargain, approx half of the Dell retail price for that display, but still with a 3 year warranty (!). If I was buying a nice screen purely for entertainment/gaming/general PC use, it'd be the U3014 hands down.

14. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

I've decided to stick with my 1440p monitor ATM for the reason Parge has mentioned, though I am tempted to grab a 2560x1080 for the wider view etc...

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

But increased number of pixels means a larger view. The view will only be the same size if you scale the image to your original res ie set it to 1080p

16. GeorgeK

Does it? I thought that as it was the same aspect ratio you'd get the same view but with more pixels in each area (for example in a shooting game, the gun would be made up of more pixels and so would look sharper). I could very well be wrong - I was just applying my common sense rather than any actual technical know-how.

17. theshadow2001

change your desktop to the lowest setting with the same aspect ratio and see.

18. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

FOV is going to be determined by the game you are running, the settings it allows you to put in, how that game engine handles projection (almost certainly 3 point projection), and the aspect ratio of your monitor.

I've run my three 1920x1200 monitors in landscape and portrait eyefinity modes. For most games landscape is dumb since the left and right monitors just have a bunch of really stretched geometry. The video below shows some possible solutions, although this isn't going to work for most games, especially not modern games.

My current personal debate is between a single 4k screen or a 21:9 3440x1400 monitor. I love ultra-wide screens, but wish that there were a 5120x2160 option. I know it's probably a long way off, so the debate is between 4k and 21:9 3440x1400.

What I will do for now is keep my current monitors in eyefinity and then see what plays nice with VR later. If VR is dependent on having a "normal" monitor somwhere in the mix, then I might change up my system a little bit to accommodate.

19. GeorgeK

Fair point - do all games scale the same way?

20. theshadow2001

No they don't it seems you are correct