1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra pictured

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Feb 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

We have just come across some pictures of the latest 512MB GeForce 6800 Ultra that we talked about at the end of last week. You can find that discussion in this thread.

It appears that the video card is not just a Gainward-only technology - from the looks of the pictures it seems to be an NVIDIA reference board, however this is just our speculation. It is also worth noting that there is a new power layout at the end of the board, much different to previous versions of the GeForce 6800 series on both AGP and PCI-Express.

There is also memory on the back as we discussed last week - interestingly this is not cooled. There are some fancy heatsinks added to the card; the one close to the power connector on the front of the card looks to be cooling the warmest part of the new power regulation layout. At the moment, we are unsure what the ones on the back are cooling right now - we can only guess that it is related to power circuitry again. Notice that there are less capcitors, less chance of them breaking off, or being broken off in the post. ;)

We'll bring you more information when we get hold of it - for now, enjoy the pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UPDATE: I was actually shown these images in an MSN conversation, but not linked to their source. For more pictures, please check this thread on Guru3D

Last edited: 28 Feb 2005
  2. planki

planki ...

very nice indeedy!!

3. Rufus-Seal

Rufus-Seal Guest

I want a card like that:( .. But who is better?:
    the 6800ULTRA 512MB ore Ati x850xt (PE?) 512 MB? :eyebrow:

4. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

You need to get two......in SLI....and barracade your house while you're at it.

5. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yep, because I'll be dropping by, that's for sure :D

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

heh :D

7. automagsrock

automagsrock What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or is the NVIDIA board longer then the ATi board?? :confused:

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes, NVIDIA's boards are typically longer than ATI's - this one is no exception, it actually looks longer than a 256MB GeForce 6800 Ultra.

9. blknoel

blknoel What's a Dremel?

10. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

aught to have seen a voodoo 6000 that thing is so big (with 4gpus) that is so big that the hard disk rack has to be removed. /off topic when nvidia bought voodoo up they aquired some working voodoo 6000's which aparently they keep in their headquarters *drool*

11. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

12. bynary

bynary What's a Dremel?

What's so special is...

That card was specifically designed to run the Apple 30" Cinema Display. Here's the link to Apple's site. Here's a Google search on it too. The 30" Cinema Display requires dual GPUs: one to run the top half of the screen, and one to run the bottom half. See a 30" in person, it's quite impressive.

13. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

14. insanarchist

insanarchist What's a Dremel?

Hmmm, that's interesting. I call shenannigans! :worried:

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Item Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota

I may have to drop by this guys humble abode and...examine that card :hehe:.

I don't believe it requires dual GPU's, just two DVI outputs. Note it says that the 30" display will run on the Mac version of the ATi 9700 for G4 sytems, plus I know of a few people that run that display on single-GPU desktop systems. Still, was looking at this beast about a month ago. If only I had a couple thousand dollars to throw at this thing :sigh:.

16. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

No it most certainly doesn't :hehe:

What it does need is a dual-link DVI socket, i.e one with two TDMS links providing effectively double the bandwidth of a single 165MHz TDMS link. The word you are looking for is expensive.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I think he meant dual DVI's that were able to run as a pair, rather than dual GPU's. All of this SLI and multi tasking does get a bit confusing from time to time ;)

18. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Impressive technology, but holy shlimoly thats a bigass card :eeek:

I pity the fool that trys to put than in a SFF case :hehe:

19. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

Hmm, most dodgy stuff. And it does look a lot like the Quadro card. :worried:

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

yes, it does have similarities. If you read through the thread on Guru3D, some of the screenshots show it is either a 512MB Quadro running a modified 6800 Ultra bios, or it is a 512MB 6800 Ultra. It could really be either - we will have to wait and see what they look like at CeBIT. ;)

Tags: Add Tags