1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Acer launches AMD-based netbooks

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 17 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

It's overkill for a netbook and underkill for a notebook. What is it?

And that GPU, it's a rebrand of which GPU?

3. hyper_somniac

hyper_somniac What's a Dremel?

As long as the price stays within netbooks prices, I'd say its a very good netbook.

4. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

5. HTPCJunkie

HTPCJunkie Love My Home Theater!

The HD4225 is the standard IGP for the 880G chipset, it's not a "rebrand" of anything. The BS at Lilliputing is pathetic. I can play 720P Flash full screen on my 3 yr old 14" Acer with the old Mobile Radeon 1250 IGP, any issue the HD4225 has will be driver/browser related. They didn't even say what browser or OS they were using. There were known issues with Adobe Flash with Win 7 / Firefox 3.x because of a missing plugin. The HD 4225 has the capability to run 1080p video no problem, you just have to make sure everything is setup correctly.

I hate reviewers that only do a half-a**ed job.

6. Lockon Stratos

Lockon Stratos I Will Snipe You!

crysis is a very poor example of mainsteam gaming purely for the fact that not everyone can run it & those that can probably struggle to run it at decent frames & the only people that can run it are probably those with significantly more cash then your average working class citizen probably between the ranges of 35-50k+ a year that can afford 4 GTX480s or 5970's & extreme edition CPUs & £300+ motherboards. that have a room with airconditioning & a drinks machine, 6way eyefinity dedicated to his pc/technology with a wife that actually does as shes told & stays in the kitchen....

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

if its better than my atom netbook i might "upgrade" that depends on 6+ hr batter life min and the actual ability to play films smoothly. ATM the ion is still a more attractive option.

8. knownballer

knownballer What's a Dremel?

Well, considering the dv2 with the older processors and similar gpu performed really well I imagine this will be just as powerful, minus the heat and power issues of the old neo cpu. My lil bro has the dv2 only with the dual core neo and yeah you can watch hd movies and play light games on it, it just never leaves his cooling pad.

With a better marketing and more oems buying in and amd will definitely have a real gem in their hands.

9. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

if the price stays around the $400 mark and can get around 8-9hrs of battery life then its worth it, if not then I will pass.

10. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

As others have said, I'm awaiting a proper set of testing (basically a bit-tech review :) ) and some proper battery life and pricing figures. May well be tempted though if it can run flash sites etc properly.

11. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

:duh: Next time read the whole comment...... the following line said

"all kidding aside" as in the crysis line was not to be taken seriously.....

Any way Crysis plays quite decently on a 8800GTX card (22" TFT) not at the highest setting but high enough to enjoy some of the "new" graphics.

Besides the set up you claim is needed to play Crysis is complete overkill as one 5970 or 480 GTX can play Crysis and I quote CPM "like a Pixar Movie"

Tags: Add Tags