1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Another Car Advice Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Xye, 30 May 2013.

1. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Hi, I know I'm not much of a regular face around here but I'm hoping you guys can help me.

I got a job back in December and am now travelling 70-75 miles a day. Problem is I still use the family car and that recently had to have head gasket and timing and all that other good stuff done leaving me kind of in the lurch as to how to get to work.

So yes it is time for me to get my own car.

Now I have a reasonable amount saved and have no real outgoings other than fuel so I estimate I have around 10-11k available for car + insurance (26 years 10 months, no accidents or claims)

My main concern is actually size as it needs to fit in a garage. I've not actually measured the garage but the current car (Citroen C2) fits fine although wider wouldn't be good.

My current thoughts are:

Alfa Romeo - Mito

Citroen - DS3

Volvo - C30

VW - Polo

90 to 95% of my commute is on free flowing the motorway so I'm thinking Diesel.

This is the first car I'll ever properly own so I'm kind of excited but I want to pick the right one so advice is gratefully welcomed.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

How enthusiastically do you drive when not commuting in a queue? If fun is a priority then have a drive of the DS3 and the MiTo - both are good cars and quite respectable steers for a bit of fun, even with a boat anchor in the front.

I'd have a look at this spec of MiTo and probably this DS3.

If you just want a nice cabin and as many mpg as possible, Polo Bluemotion would be a good starter for 10.

Not to pry beyond my business, but I would spend something like £8k on the car (if it fits with what you want) and a warranty, then keep 5 bags for an awesome holiday.

Oh, and given the choice I'd go for a larger rather than smaller engine in this class - they will be more economical in real-world driving rather than the laughable NEDC test suggests.

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

I admit I am quite an enthusiastic driver when not commuting and I do enjoy driving.

My problem I guess is that I was struggling to find the DS3 or MiTo at a main dealer for the money. Is there much advantage to buying from a main dealer or just a used car dealer? This being first time and all I actually have no idea.

Also Should I look at Fiesta's?

Last edited: 31 May 2013
  4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Fiestas are bulletproof.
    And at risk of sounding like a complete broken record, I'd go for the 1.4 Turbo petrol MiTo. the 114kw one.
    I've not driven the diesel one, but I have had a blast or two in the Turbo Petrol option.
    It's also the same engine used in the Fiat Bravo I own, and that car is more fun in Petrol than in Diesel.

The C30s are great cars, and if you can get a bigger engined one (i.e. try to not get the 1.6), they get better. The big drawback here is the crappy rear window, which allows insight into the trunk.

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I got a skoda fabia vrs. They are stupidly cheap to tax and insure and very good fun to drive. They only come in diesel and being skoda you get very good VAG build quality. I'm more than happy with mine. You should easily get one within your budget.

6. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If it's not too big to fit in the garage, this times 1.21 gajillion

And you can make up for it being a diesel by getting it in ASBO Green

7. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

I do like the DS3, much prefer the styling to the mini coopers of late. I had the petrol sport version as a hire car for a day and was pretty impressed despite the bizarre interior :) pretty sure there's a diesel sport version too.

Despite owning an alfa myself and usually recommending them, I'm not really that taken by the mito. I've not driven one mind. But as always, test drive a few and see what you like best, some good recommendations so far (I'd be tempted by the fabia :D)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Yes, the VRS is great fun to drive... :hehe: @ ASBO

9. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Thanks Guys.

Honestly I'm not sure about the Fabia, though maybe I'm being a bit biased against skoda because of their bad rep from years ago. But also I don't need the extra two doors and it is a bit wider than the alfa and the DS3

The Volvo, after looking it up is even wider 2.03m so I think that is off the cards now as well.

The Fiesta, May be a good fall back option.

My Main concern is where to get it from, there is a large car supermarket nearby but it gets poor reviews and the main dealers seem rather more pricey...

10. Krikkit

With dealers you pay extra for the idea that they will honour their requirement to provide a decent car. You might also be able to buy an extended warranty from them (worth doing imo).

Most car supermarkets are alright, although they're usually interested in selling on finance (they make huge sums from that) and with an aftermarket warranty.

Have a look at the Fiesta as well (they're a cracking car too), and see if you can test drive them all for comparison.

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I do this all the time. Just walk into a Manufacturer dealer and tell them you are looking to buy an XXX car in the next couple of months and would like to test drive one. Just make sure you tell them you don't live far away and they are your preffered dealer. Test drive and walk away.

I do it all the time. It's fun.

12. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

No mention of the polo again either (there is quite a large VW dealer nearby) although from what I can see they are pretty basic compared to the other cars I'm looking at.

13. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

The Polos we get here are quite basic. You pretty much need to spec them up, and they then become expensive.

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If you're contemplating getting a Polo, you should really consider the Skoda Fabia - they're basically the same car, but the Fabia is cheaper. I know you mentioned that you're against Skoda based on their past reputation, but all VAG cars are reliable these days. If you're looking for a "hot hatch" then the vRS is great fun to drive, cheap to insure and comes with decent kit (certainly a lot better than the equivalent price Polo).

15. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

+1 for the Fabia. Had a drive of the Monte Carlo spec with the 1.6TDI engine and it packed a punch, but I've yet to have a go in the 1.2TSI version which I've heard is ace.

The Polo's nice, it feels like a bigger car and it feels more expensive. The trouble is, it is more expensive and the 1.2 3-cylinder engines are completely gutless.

The Fiesta is a hoot to drive, even with the relatively low powered 1.25 petrol, but it handles like a dream. My biggest bug bear was that there was almost zero legroom behind me when I was in the driver's seat.

I also tried the now-previous generation Clio with the 1.2 turbo (I think it was that?) and didn't like it all that much. The steering was very light (a trademark of Renaults apparently) and the clutch biting point was right at the top (again, apparently another Renault trademark). They come with a tonne of kit though which may be a deciding factor for you.

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm just throwing my advice in there: Don't buy a Clio. Of any year. Not even the MKIV 2013 model. I love mine to bits and despite minor niggling issues remaining from the accident in November it's serving me well, but they're just not built with the quality I expect in something like a car. They're not bad, but they're not exactly "engineered" if you know what I mean. The Skoda or the DS3 would be my choice, probably take the DS3 over the Skoda because I like the shape.

17. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Yeah I know what you mean my dad has one. I also find the turning circle of clio's ridiculously big for what is supposedly a small car.

18. Krikkit

Interestingly, the JDPower 2013 survey reckons the 4th most satisfying car you can buy is a DS3. That's direct from consumers as well, not just fawning mag hacks.

19. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Interesting, and the Alfa performs pretty poorly it would appear, at least in terms of satisfaction.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

There is little more than 5% percent between the best and the worst brands pretty much meaning that there isn't a lot of bad cars anymore, they are all pretty good, just lots of people who read a 7/10 as end of the world and get all sensationalist. :p the best cars are only 8/10 ;)

DS3 is a pretty good shout for being small and comfortable.

Mito is OK but you really want the QV for motorway with the active suspension as other wise it is a bit firm and jiggly, unfortunately that is a petrol, good for 40mpg at motorway speeds though. a Koni FSD suspension setup would do wonders to a stock diesel Mito though so long as they alloys aren't too big.

Fabia pure barf, which suits the green in comes in IMO that thing is not styled well, its just a good price for what you get and quick, I'd still get the Polo over it personally.

lower spec clios are pretty comfortable cruisers and surprisingly so is the little Twingo.

Not tried a new Fiesta but can't imagine its a bad call.