1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Monitor Recommendation £200 budget max

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gilljoy, 20 Jan 2014.

1. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Hi all,

I've managed to get a nasty deep scratch in my U2311h screen :(

I'm going to have to replace it as its too deep to try and fix.

Anyone have any recommendations for a good monitor for gaming for around £200

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Though I can't recommend any specific monitor, why not set a price limit on scan, search from most expensive to least (generally IPS monitors are more expensive) and go through the list backwards. Try and find a 24" IPS monitor from a decent brand, then just google the specific model for reviews. I'd say anything from Dell, LG or Asus would be pretty decent, just a matter of what bonus features they really have.

3. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Thanks for the tip I'll have a look.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Hmm...
    There is the Dell P2414H - http://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-d...playport-hdmi-dvi-vga-1920x1080-250cd-m2-2m1-
    In depth review: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_p2414h.htm

The monitor is 1920x1080, like yours now. There is a 23inch version (but no in depth review... but should be very similar), that is the P2314H. Same resolution.

Sadly, the newer Dell monitors build quality, while still good and very competitive, it's not like what you have now.

The P2414H features:
    -> 1920x1080 IPS panel - 6-bit with FRC to emulate 8-bit colors, like yours.
    -> Fully adjustable stand. Metal mechanical systems
    -> Non-glossy, of course
    -> Has DVI, VGA and DisplayPort
    -> The same warranty coverage including the 6 or more dead pixel, and 0 or more bright or stuck pixels for 3 years, despite not being the UltraSharp series.
    -> White LEDs, so the whites will have a bit of blue tint to them.., they don't made CFL anymore. And GB-LED (the step up with better whites), is sadly too expensive for your budget.
    -> USB ports are on the back though, still 2.0.

Check it out.

5. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Brilliant thanks for the advice :)

I'm debating emailing dell and trying to see how much it would cost to get this fixed as I really like this monitor.

Anything specific as to why the new dell monitors are worse quality?

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well, the stand, while contains metal structure inside (or really strong plastic), is no longer this solid arm stand like the U2311H that you have. And small things like that. It's still a solid product, but not over the top as it used to be.

7. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

Could always keep my stand from the U2311H since I most likely wouldn't get much money for it since its damaged

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Maybe swap the stands and use the old dell as a 2nd monitor? If you aren't looking at it as often you may be able to live with it.

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Have you looked at 2nd hand monitors, NRG-IT do some good deals on monitors without stands so you could use the one you have.

10. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder