1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage I'm Confused. HDD Help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bituser, 27 Aug 2011.

1. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

Hi,

While searching for parts for my "Big Build" I noticed that I seem to be able to get a 2tb hdd cheaper than a 1tb equivalent. I'm not sure if I have missed something, but they both appear to have the same specs apart from storage capacity. I was going to buy 2x 1tb HDDs and use one of them as a scratch disk as someone suggested in another of my threads but it appears I could buy 2 x 2tb for a cheaper price. Can you please check and see if I am missing something here?

2TB Greenpower

1TB Black Edition

2. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

The 2Tb is slower than the 1tb, thus costing less money.

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Yeah, it's a 5400rpm drive rather than a 7200rpm one...

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Caviar blacks are a premium (yet still consumer grade) 7K rpm fast drive, whereas the Greens are a 5K RPM, eco friendly low power drive made just for mass storage.

What's your priority? Loads of space, or as fast as poss? That should make your decision for you.

In all honesty, what I would do (assuming a limited budget, so apologies if you have cash falling out of your ass) is get a smaller caviar black for the boot drive.. 500GB or so, and a 1.5TB green for storage. Probably about the same price and you have the best of both.

5. Bituser

Bituser 64 Gigglebytes

I've got a budget of about 1.6k USD. I would like as fast as possible hence why I was going for the WD Black, and therefore going over my budget by $100. I really want both fast and storage, but I know that's not always possible.

6. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

I'd get the 2TB as a tempory system drive and storage drive and add a boot SSD when you can afford to

I prefer the Hitachi's to the WD's