1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards PC Hanging on start up

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kieran_read, 5 Dec 2014.

1. kieran_read

kieran_read What's a Dremel?

I flagged it as a Motherboard issue... but truth be told.. i have no bloody idea what's causing it.

I Bought a new hard drive a 1TB Samsung Evo SSD and installed it, I used the software that came with the drive the Samsung Migration to cloan my drive.

It worked for a while then just stopped working while I was playing PlanetSide 2 my computer just froze and that's where the fun began :waah:

I forced my computer to shut down, and when I rebooted it just hung, there was nothing just a black screen, (Everything spins up ALL fans kick in, CPU, GPU, Case, but nothing, no beeps nothing going to my monitor/TV)

I force shutdown again and restart, gets a little further to windows and hangs again. I, D/C my SSD and kept my original drive in, and it hangs again so I reset my bios with the jumper, and tried again and eventually it loaded into Windows, everything seemed ok, ignored my SSD for now as it was D/C played PlanetSide 2 again... and after a hour or so computer freezes, reset, and reconnected my SSD, (Boots off HDD) and my computer detects and shows the SSD with all the files there from the clone.

Kept trying to fix it but nothing worked, tried to restore windows but files were missing, so I downloaded Windows 8 restore files on to a USB through the MS website and after several attempts at turning the computer on (10 tries something like that) it eventually booted windows so I tried to restore window it froze at about 86% so I had to force shutdown again.

With several restarts I can get the system to boot but something has gone seriously wrong (and it keeps freezing after a while)

I don't know how to identify the problem nor do I know what the problem is, like I said if I boot it and it hangs there's no beep, nothing, everything spins up like it should but there's no output whatsoever.

Could really use some help.

It's an old computer so here are the specs

Motherboard - Asus Maximus 2 Formula
    Processor - Intel Core2Duo, Q9550
    Graphics - AMD 7790
    RAM - 8gb DDR2
    Hard Drive - Samsung 1tb
    SSD - Samsung 1TB EVO < The ******* that started all of this -.-

2. kieran_read

I just wanted to add a quick note, when i first went to connect my SSD my computer wouldn't recognise it. The SATA and the power just wouldn't pick it up, i had to use the SATA cables from my DVD drive and move them to the SSD to ensure the computer would recognise them.

So i'm guessing it's either a problem with my PSU or my motherboard.

I'm hoping it's the PSU otherwise i will need a new Processor, RAM, and Motherboard rather than just a PSU.

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Have you got AHCI mode enabled in the BIOS for the SSD? If so (and you cloned from an IDE drive) you may not have the AHCI drivers installed. What drive did you clone from?

4. kieran_read

I cloned from a Samsung HD103UJ (Samsing Spingpoint F1 1TB)

SATA is configured as IDE, I'll change it to AHCI, what would i need to do next?

5. kieran_read

I switched my SATA cables around and now I get further each time, so i'm guessing my Mobo has a fault.

I tried switching to AHCI and it just took ages to try and load windows so I switched back to IDE and it loaded me in reasonably quickly in comparison.

What's the best way to switch to AHCI?

6. kieran_read

I would just add, my PC see's the SSD in the BIOS but not in Windows.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

To clear things up.

Is it still booting from the HDD? is it booting from a flash drive properly?

8. kieran_read

Booting from the original HDD, SSD is doesn't show in Windows at all (It did before I switched it to AHCI and then back to IDE, because when i switched to AHCI the computer froze)

I'm just refreshing windows atm, as sfc detected about 1100 missing files, so i'm thinking it could be a combination of 2 of my SATA ports failing and a dodgy clone which perhaps damaged some files.

Usually it crashes when refreshing windows but atm it seems to be working fine. (Refreshing of a USB)

9. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think GeorgeK is on to something.

Clone the HDD back over to the SSD.
    When the cone is done, boot up windows from the HDD in IDE mode

Run the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
    Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)
    Navigate to Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide
    Set the "Start" value to 0 (zero)

Then turn the computer off.

Boot up into the bios
    Change the boot priority to boot from the SSD
    Change sata mode to AHCI

Windows should boot up from the SSD with the correct drivers. If that doesn't work, then we can keep digging.

10. kieran_read

I can't clone the HDD to the SDD, windows doesn't detect it to allow me to.

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

If you go to computer management is there anything?

You could use a program like clonezilla
    http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

12. kieran_read

Nothing in computer management, i'll try clonezilla

13. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Let us know how it goes.

14. silk186

silk186 Derp

Do you have a SATA to USB adapter that you can try? I know some SSD kits come with them.

15. kieran_read

No my SSD only came with a CD with Samsung Software on it.

Couldn't get clonezilla working, now gonna try the regedit then change the boot drive to SSD.

Windows just picked up my SSD, so i will format then reclone it (I moved around some of the SATA cables, seems somehow when I installed the SSD a for of them must have got damaged, which is strange as I haven't changed anything.

Gonna clean up my original, SFC it, format the SSD, recloan then try the regedit and boot into bios to enable AHCI

Last edited: 5 Dec 2014
  16. murraynt

murraynt Modder

:thumb:

17. silk186

silk186 Derp

I recently added a drive to mine, now up to 6 and it wasn't started. Restarted with only the SSD and it booted. Reconnected all drives and went into BIOS and it turned out that the drive boot order changed. Still have 2 drive missing so I will shuffle files and remove a few and add a larger drive. Perhaps your problem is similar.

Secondly, I wouldn't recommend cloning. Put a fresh install in the SSD. i know that windows will change some settings when it recognizes you are using an SSD. Reinstall your programs and transfer saves, documents, your desktop folders ect. Format your previous OS drive to remove windows documents.

18. kieran_read

The "Msahci" registry isn't there on my system, the "Pciide" one is there though.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

20. kieran_read

OK it doesn't work, those registry values were already set to 0

When I changed boot order to SSD first and switched it to AHCI mode it starts loading, but BSOD every time it tries to load into windows.

It works in IDE mode just not AHCI