1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HTPC Project... Use for an old amp(FINISHED)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by UnkleRosco, 12 Jul 2006.

1. UnkleRosco

UnkleRosco What's a Dremel?

While im waiting for parts for my other project i've decided to start this one..

Currentyl in the process of moving out and figure i'd like to have something i could use to stream movies n music about the apt.. Figured id build a HTPC, wont be using it as a pvr or anything.. Its main uses will be movies n mp3 along with pic slideshows..

Will be storing allot of tv series that myself n the missus watch, red-dward, bottom, father ted, sex n the city etc.. Want to have them all in the one place instead of having to go through a load of dvds..

Anyways, picked up a AMD xp2000 system for cheap n just need a case.. While down the shed looking for something i found this..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perfect!! Wanted a case that really looked like it was part of an av system but didn't want to spend a fortune on one... What could be more perfect than builing a htpc inside an old amp/reciever.. Really like the look of the old amps, elsecially the warm glow from the lighting..

First things first, open it up n strip it out..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 mins ltr n a few cuts..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan is quite simple... Cut out internal frame.. Reinforce the case, mount mobo, psu n hard drives.. done n done

Will be using the internals from an old case to mount the mobo n make backplate.. have a few hd cages that i can use.. Wont be installing a cd/dvd rom as i've no need for one..

Will be trying to hook up the signal n tuning dials to someting.. possible hd access n voltage or sound..

Will also be trying to keep the original lighting if no i'll be replacing with leds... :D :D

Last edited: 10 Aug 2006
  2. OldY

OldY What's a Dremel?

Love the look of it!!! We need more recycling on bit-tech :D

3. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

I remember my parents having one of those old Toshiba Amps and the tape deck to boot... what year was that released, just springs to mind when I look at the old thing....
    Looks like a good mod, keep us posted and how big is your budget? and what hardware will you be using?

Last edited: 16 Jul 2006
  4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Keep hold of the front indicators, they may make nice UV readouts.

5. UnkleRosco

Budget is minimal... Got no cash as its all gone into my other project..

Spec..
    This is the system i picked up, €60.. cheap as chips..
    -AMD XP2000
    -TwinMos 512Mb DDR Ram
    -Chieftec Dragon Tower
    -PSU: Chieftec ATX 12V, Max Load 360W
    -Asus A7V333 Socket A Motherboard
    -GeForce 4 440
    -40x CDRW Samsung
    -Ethernet Network Card

Have a spare 80gb HD to use in it and have an ati 9600se with a passive HS that i'll be using.. Will need to get a HSF for the cpu n thats it..

May get a large IDE drive for it or else use the 600gigs in my main system to store everything...

6. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

try and keep the functionality of the dials. Volume, treble, bass, balance should all be possible with a bit of software coding. Power swtich maybe not as you need a momentary, i spose you could spring it so you start it like you start a car. Other buttons could be changed for play, rewind etc. If your feeling really adventurous then try and make that frequency display into a progress bar

7. UnkleRosco

At a later date i may try these but for now its just getting it together n into the apt.. Everything will be done by remote using a mce keyb n rem..

Will be sticking a power button at the rear for now as it'll be rarely used(the button that is)

It will most likely be used 24/7 n left in running in MCE.. Will prob use a remote desktop so i can set it to download etc overnight from bed... Yes, i am that lazy

8. UnkleRosco

Few more pics..

[​IMG]
    Here u can see how the front is lit up.. Light enters the plexi n lights up everything on the front pannel..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The strip that the orig bulbs where conected to.. most of them where blown so the plan is to use leds instead, will mount them to the strip using modeling clay or similar...

[​IMG]
    Ideally i'd mount the motherboard like this n the hds under it with the psu to the far side... The chances of the GFX card fitting within that space r slim tho..

[​IMG]
    Rear of the tuning and signal dials

[​IMG]
    The rear of the case.. hope to cut this up as little as poss.. Just a hole for the vga, power n usb ports will do

9. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

So pretty... *heart*

I love those old cases. Good luck with this one! :D

10. simon_C

simon_C Minimodder

*tear* :waah:

it hurts to see a piece of vintage stereo equipment torn apart!!

11. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sweet, I'm keeping an eye on this one.

12. UnkleRosco

Its not that vintage..

This one is, was m grandads.. Go knows how old it is n its still in mint condition.. Real warm sound off it.. would never touch it, although a mate of mine was pleading with me to turn it into a sff pc.. Not a chance..

[​IMG]

13. CrazyModder

CrazyModder What's a Dremel?

Retro look...nice...subscribe

14. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Don't cut any holes in it at all, For power and VGA have them inside and have the cables come out existing holes.
    Set the motherboard back a little and have the S-Video/Composite Breakout cable/box run out through say the black box thing that says protection fused.
    And the ower cable through the power supply hole (dissassemble the plug so the lead can be passed through)
    As for the USB, pass the lead for a USB hub through another hole and intergrate it on the back panel.
    Also what are you using as USB devices? Is it possible to have the completely inside? Wireless keyboard/mouse/remote.
    And you will also need an RJ45 jack somewherefor the LAN unless you use wireless

Looks good BTW

15. UnkleRosco

Was planning to have it all internall but im no sure if it'll fit.. will wait till i pick up the bits that i'll be using.. That mobo in the pics isn't full atx size.. Will find out tomorrow..

As for usb, should be able to fit the wireless keyb reciever in the case.. not sure about networking.. depends on weather the movies n mp3's are to be stored on this or another pc on the network..

Will be using a vga cable as all my other inputs on the plasma are in use..

16. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Love antique technology. My dad has a 1920's tube radio he bought when he was 14 (1972) for $2 from an auction. Had one dead tube, but he replaced it and it still works great. Sounds amazing, those tubes were incredible for audio.

Try and make use of those nice analogue gauges! That would look awesome displaying the 5+ and 12+ lines or something.

17. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Since you will be using VGA, may I suggest taking the little box thing off and putting the VGA cable through there and then put a cut in the box and fit it around th cable, So no obvious cuts?

18. mattthegamer463

That would make it difficult to disconnect the monitor/television from the motherboard though. A few ports will look fine, just make a nice backplate for them to make it look like a stock job.

19. UnkleRosco

[​IMG]

Well thats the way im gonna be keeping the layout.. The gfx card will fit in there easily so i can mount one r two HDs under the mobo n the psu to the right. Will post pics of the pc i'll be gutting ltr.. Think i have an amd 2600 xp in the shed somewhere.. if so the 2100 will be coming out..

Will have to cut the back panel but i should get away with just cutting a hole for the vga..

Might have to make up a new hsf for the gfx card as this one has what looks like a small n whiny fan on it..

Anyways... off to get some dinner n will post pics n that ltr..

20. mattthegamer463

Does that motherboard have 4 IDE channels? So could you get 8 hard drives on that motherboard without having to buy any IDE cards? What model is that board, I want to get one.