1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Which 560Ti - MSI or Asus?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luggs, 22 Oct 2011.

1. Luggs

Luggs What's a Dremel?

Hi, I was just after a quick sanity check before I purchase a new Gfx card. I was all set to buy the 1GB MSI GTX 560Ti OC Twin Frozr II after reading the positive reviews on the bit-tech forum, but then noticed the 1GB Asus GTX 560Ti Direct CU II TOP for the same price. The Asus card has 20MHz faster GPU and 40MHz Shader speeds. Will this be noticeable in practice? Are there other factors I am missing? Cooling capabilities / OC potential / RMI etc?

I know there is a big fan base for the MSI card, but I was wondering why you would chose that card over the faster Asus model selling at the same price?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    Luggs

2. c0sm1c

c0sm1c What's a Dremel?

Personally...I would buy whatever one is the cheapest. I do like the look of the MSI's through...love the cooling system they have on them...abd most TF cards usually overclock pretty well too. I just bought a MSI 580 TF2 last week...havent installed it yet.
    But the Asus is clcked higher out of the box...which is good as you getting the overclock without having to push the card past its warranty speed.

3. moody89

moody89 Minimodder

The MSI Twin Frozr II gets a lot of recommendations on these forums, mostly for it's cooling capabilities - I'm sure someone who knows more than me on this can advise you on the particulars though :)

4. Luggs

Luggs What's a Dremel?

Thanks for replies!

@c0sm1c - aye, the Asus is £2 cheaper and a faster card, hence why is was asking if there is more to consider than the basic stats of cards such as cooling etc. Totally jealous of your 580 :(

@ moody89 - yeah, the MSI seems to be voted 'best-in-class' in the bit-tech reviews and like you say, very highly thought of on the forums. Unfortunately I cannot see a bit-tech review of the Asus to compare...

5. Sexton

Sexton Minimodder

I have a TwinFrozr myself... brilliant thing. Get it. Now.

:) :) :) :)

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Careful, in the latest issue of CPC they say that MSI changed the cooling situation on the TF II, yet kept the same name. And the latest revision of the TF II is noisier than the first revision.

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

8. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

9. ArchType

ArchType What's a Dremel?

Would definitely recommend the MSI over the Asus, they are amaing cards. Also bear in the mind i think the Asus is triple slot whereas the Msi is double

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

An axe to bear with ebuyer then modd1uk! :D

11. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Both are double. It's only on the 570 and 580 where they are triple slot. I'd personally go for the cheapest of the two as there's basically no difference between them cooling wise.

12. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Have you used an ASUS card, Sir? ;)

560s are dual slot, 580s are triple.

13. Luggs

Luggs What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, common sense was telling me the Asus, as a cheaper and slightly faster card, was the one to go for, but MSI is so popular I wanted to ensure I wasn't missing something. Sorry, also didn't want to start a flame on who is best...

This purchase is just to last me 18/24 months until I have budgets for a full system upgrade, so guess for that purpose either card would do. Think I'll try the Asus :)

Thanks again!

14. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

I have the Asus and have no complaints so far.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Personally I find the Asus software to be much better layed out and more useful.

Also bare in mine that a Direct CU2 580 recently got the world record for fastest single GPU, so that must mean something for the design...

I love to Asus card personally, best you can buy in my opinion.

16. McDuff32

McDuff32 Minimodder

I went for the asus because I like bindibadgi's name.

Guest-16 likes this.
  17. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

18. Soniclord

Soniclord What's a Dremel?

This probably won't help as you've specified you're going to pick either MSI or Asus, but I bought this one KFA2 560TI and it's brilliant, runs VERY cool as well :)

19. Bede

Bede Minimodder

I have the MSI 560Ti HAWK, which uses the Twin Frozr III cooler - essentially the same as the TFII. My personal feeling is that the cooler is annoyingly loud at 70% fan speed, which it tends to reach during extended periods of gaming. I haven't been able to compare it with the Direct CU II cooler so I don't know how that sounds.

Essentially they are both excellent cards. If you can get either of them for a reasonable price then go for it - they won't let you down.

20. iknowgungfu

iknowgungfu Minimodder

Makes me think of this :):

[​IMG]