1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress OPTERON PRIME - Supermicro 4P folding mayham - folding numbers

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 25 Jul 2013.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

[​IMG]

Hi everyone, my name is Tim but on forums I am better known under the name Hukkel. You may have seen more work from me in my almost finished buildlog of "GAME HARD, FOLD HARDER" ( http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=254768 ). That build is designated to be a great overall gaming pc but when not occupied it is a desktop system dedicated to non-stop Folding@home. Over time I have had many talks with people who fold 24/7 and invested time and effort to research the best number crunching hardware for its initial investing amount and even better for its power conservation. There seemed to be one specific hardware solution that scored high on both points. That is a 4 processor AMD Opteron™ system from Supermicro’s A+ branded (AMD) product line (http://www.supermicro.com/aplus/). Initially I wanted to build an Opteron 6100 system with 8 core CPUs, then upgrade in the future to 12 core 6100 series Opterons. To build this, the ideal solution pointed to a Supermicro G34 motherboard. With good timing and a bit of luck I got in touch with Supermicro to see if they would be up to sponsor this project. After discussing my ideas we found common ground in the high-performance, energy-efficient aim of this project along with support for Folding@home research. However, initial reaction was when they commit to something, they do it right. No cutting corners and nothing less than a perfect solution. :) My contact who understood the nature and goal of this F@h project helped me acquire the ultimate combination of components to accelerate this build. With sponsorship from Supermicro I was provided a base platform of an A+ H8QGL-iF quad socket G34 motherboard, populated with four AMD Opteron 6300 series 16 core processors and a compatible SuperChassis CSE-748TQ-R1K43B.

I was completely blown away by this turn of events. This is exactly what I really wanted to do. Build a big casemod resulting in an extremely strong folding setup that could run on 100% 24/7 easily yet still be as energy efficient possible...

Over time we’ve bounced back and forth ideas, concept sketches, hardware options and deadlines. Eventually the nickname for the build has come to the surface. Sometimes the best names come from what you don't make up yourself. My friend Ole dropped the name "Opteron prime" and I instantly knew it was right for this build. It will be server-grade and the highest-end build I’ve taken on in terms hardware. In addition, it will only be used for "the good" contributing to Stanford University’s Folding@home project to simulate the molecular dynamics of protein folding and help scientists find a cure for Alzheimer’s, Huntington’s, Parkinson’s and many forms of cancers.

After a few weeks the following two enormous boxes landed on my doorstep:

[​IMG]

From here on the project started. I’ve contacted a few other companies to partner up as well. And I have managed to gather an impressive small group of companies that will be making this project possible in the desired timeframe with only the best hardware.

Now what I COULD do is place a few pictures from Sketchup to give you an idea. And then give you a list of the hardware I am going to use...but I rather not as that would leave no surprises. I would like this buildlog to be an “unfolding” for you as a reader as much as it will be for me building it. Don't worry, a lot of exciting updates and performance stats will be shown very soon. But how the build will end up looking like you will only know by keeping up to date on this buildlog.

For now I want to thank Supermicro in particular for making this project possible in its current form. It has presented me with an amazing opportunity and I will give it my all to try and make this a very powerful yet efficient, green folding machine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jan 2015
  2. Appleby

Appleby What's a Dremel?

Now this is my kind of build! Congratulations on the sponsorship, that is awesome! Looking forward to this one, Subbed.

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

You lucky ******* :) Looking forward to this.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

where the hell did I leave the popcorn, I'll miss the show at this rate! :)

Waiting with a grin for an update

5. NoobNeb

NoobNeb Enthusiastic Lurker

Should be very interesting, pretty awesome of Supermicro too.

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

Supermicro for sponsor not bad.So when the next big update ???

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you very much. :)

hahaha I am aren't I? :D
    I am really happy with this opportunity.

I won't dissappoint you :thumb:

I agree. Awesome of them to go for such a project. I hope it will inspire others to start folding as well.

I hope to give you a big update on monday.

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

I look forward to this also. I really liked Game hard etc...

If you speak to Supermicro (or if they are reading) then tell them to make their hardware more available.

A couple of years back I wanted one of their boards (single socket F with PCIE) because I wanted to cut the queue and get a 8 core Magny Cours and their board (so I didn't have to wait for Bulldozer). I spent over a month trying to source one before contacting SM and they weren't very helpful and I ended up shopping elsewhere.

Whilst I understand that they don't really want to bother with 'normal' users such as myself it left quite a bad taste in my mouth.

9. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Congrats for the sponsors and for the future noble purpose of the project
    but this is the modding section and I don't see no modding at all... :worried:

Last edited: 29 Jul 2013
  10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

That is odd :(
    I have other folding friends who are just as normal people as you and I who received and still receive very decent support. I hope you were just an incident. Sorry to hear it.

Good things come to those who wait my good sir :)
    A build like this requires a lot of planning and gathering parts.
    The following updates will contain more and more of the build and the modding, because sir....there will be modding. Oh yes, there will be LOTS of modding.

-----------------------------------

This is to show you guys what is in the boxes. I will make better pictures and comment on them when I will actually use them.

4*Opteron 6383SEs - the current top of the line retail AMD Opterons
    16*Hynix 1866 4 GB ram sticks
    1 Seagate SSD 100GB
    1 Supermicro G34 motherboard that supports 1866 Mhz memory - Supermicro technology at its finest.
    1 4U Supermicro server rack. The only 19 inch rack that also has feet to stand upright.

More unboxing in a few days when other stuff comes in (and the battery of my camera is done charging xD )

Hold on to your pants, here is a LOAD of pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Supermicro was kind enough to sponsor me with the motherboard and the chassis (including the 2 PSUs). I ordered the SSD and the RAM at them as well. It is quite easy when you choose a solution for your needs to just click a link that takes you to the tested hardware that will work guaranteed with the hardware you have chosen. It is what I did. I am kind of new to the server hardware world and especially with the RAM knowing exactly what brand and type 1866mhz ram will work with the motherboard and CPUs is very big pro.

Again thank you very much Supermicro for the hardware and the opportunity!

[​IMG]

More updates incoming soon.

Last edited: 10 Jul 2014
  11. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

nice toys!!!

12. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I worked with server hardware for a LONG time. I still have a quad socket F here, and a pair of Istanbul hexacores looking for a home. If you needs to know something, let me know. Good call on filling all RAM slots, you can use NUMA now for increased memory bandwidth.

13. Reiep

Reiep What's a Dremel?

I can sense some epicness in this build...

14. dream1

dream1 What's a Dremel?

So much power in one case :)

15. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

You dont need to fill all the slots to use NUMA,just as long as the is a DIMM in each bank it will work.
    Personally i turn it off as it isnt OC friendly but this isnt an issue with this SM board as it doesnt support OC'ing ( to any great degree).

Tim,great score on the SM kit,they are a very polished product,it would be my first choice if i wanted a rock solid work rig,if i didnt have my SR2 already.

16. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

This is going to be a gooooooood build :)

Looking forward to the results! :)

17. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Is it different with the newer stuff? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was.

18. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks and indeed they are :clap:

Thank you for your offer :thumb:

Thank you master :thumb:

I hope there will be even more power in the future :)

Thanks B. SR-2 is amazing stuff. But for folding a 4P will be on another level probably. But for overall use less practical.

Thank you Votick, does the Gigabyte shirt fit well? ;)

----------------------------------------------------

A small update and unfolding of the project (CWUTIDIDTHAR)

The Supermicro chassis is amazing for being an aircooled server case. But I plan on doing something more so needed a bit more room. Since Caselabs doesn't make cases for this motherboard form (SWTX) I decided to go the scratch build route for the first time.

A good friend of me (Django) helped me out for weeks to draw up a pedestal and arch to fit around the Supermicro case. I then sent it to a local metalshop for them to make and paint it. It will be made from 1,5mm thick steel. Perhaps by the shape you guys can already try and discover what goes where.

[​IMG]

Very soon many more updates. At first a lot of unboxings, later on more building.

Enjoy :thumb:

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014
  19. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

20. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

Not enough large server case? I like it

send from Deathstar via HAL9000