1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress RIVALRY - BitFenix Phenom - GIGABYTE GIVE AWAY

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Hukkel, 11 Jul 2014.

1. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

[​IMG]

Welcome everyone to a new project.

I am in the closing stages of Game Hard, Fold Harder and Opteron Prime. I am waiting for some stuff and in the meantime I am starting this project.

I can only confess I have gotten the idea from my nametwin (Tim Longroadtrip). He started his Ying and Yang project log a long time ago now. Due to a flood in his workshop and other reasons of his own the air + watercooled projects never got side to side. But I liked the idea right away. When Bitfenix launched the Phenom ITX case I was instantly in love. It is such a clean and fluid case. (Ian; strak en kaal!) It just has something special about it that keeps grabbing my attention.

Therefore I present to you project Rivalry. Like Ying and Yang they are are two builds. I am personally using a black and a white Bitfenix Phenom case. (after Opteron Prime I wanted to do something smaller xD)
    They will be similar but also different. One will be watercooled and one will be aircooled. One will have a black theme and one will have a white theme. They will both use differend brands hardware, fans and a different modified Bitfenix logo. Yet both will be ITX, both will have a single gfx card, both will be using a raid setup and custom box for 4 SSDs, both will have 16GB ram (same brand and type). And both will be modified by me :lol:

Here is a quick overlook of the hardware being used.

Black build:

- Bitfenix Phenom ITX in black
    - Bitfenix black fancontroller with touchscreen
    - i7-4770k
    - Gigabyte Z97N
    - HyperX Beast 2*8GB 1600 mhz
    - 4*HyperX 3k SSDs
    - BeQuiet Dark Rock pro 3 cooler
    - BeQuiet 140 and 120mm fans
    - BeQuiet POWER 850W PSU
    - Gigabyte GTX770 OC Windforce 3
    - MDPC-X sleeving

White build:

- Bitfenix Phenom ITX in white
    - i7-4770k
    - Gigabyte Z87N
    - HyperX Beast 2*8GB 1600 mhz
    - 4*HyperX 3k SSDs
    - Diamond Cooling CPU waterblock
    - Diamond Cooling custom GPU waterblock
    - Diamond Cooling custom reservoir
    - Diamond Cooling hardline tube fittings
    - Enermax white LED Vegas fans in 120 and 140mm
    - Enermax Platimax 1250 W PSU
    - KFA2 GTX680 Hall Of Fame
    - MDPC-X sleeving

I am still unsure about a few watercooling parts for this one. But I will pick them up along the way :)

I will start on the aircooled build first as I am also waiting for a few parts for the white build.

I need to make a small comment on the sponsoring of this project. It has become quite a heavily sponsored project in terms of hardware. This is due to the fact that I am using remains of projects that didn't went through / got cancelled etc. They weren't even my own, I made an arrangement with one brand to use the hardware that was meant for another ones project that didn't got to it anymore because of things happening in his personal life. Next to this I have been lucky enough to be able to write some reviews for some parts and I am using those review samples in this build as well. I have chosen to use those parts in these two builds as they suited them perfectly and also name the companies that provided those review samples.

I would like to start of by showing a very very rough render / idea / comcept for the black one. I normally don't do this, but I am kinda still searching for the design on some details. But the general idea is present in this render.

[​IMG]

Ian thanks again for all the help with the render and the gfx and banners for this log :rock:

Last edited: 14 Oct 2014
  2. Grrizz

Grrizz What's a Dremel?

Love the logo!

3. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Cool beans,liking the concept.

4. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Me too, render looks good:thumb:

5. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Looking forward to this Tim, are you having the white one and il have the black one?

6. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

This is gonna be good, lets go already! :)

7. skyrip

skyrip What's a Dremel?

what is this diamond cooling? never heard of them.

8. hanssx2

hanssx2 Minimodder

Never stop modding tim :D

9. Ianovski

Ianovski Rawr!

Yay Tim, Strak en kaal!! Just the way we like it don't we? :naughty: :naughty:

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks!
    Ian has a way of reading my mind, when I explain such a logo concept to me he always makes them just as I had them in my head.

Thanks Daniel! Hoping you will like the entire show.

Thanx!

haha sup smexy! You can choose which one you like :)
    I will give it to you as a wedding present :naughty:

Thanks a lot Martijn!

All good things come to those who wait ;)
    I / we will reveal when the white build has its turn.

Thanks a lot man, not preparing to anytime soon ^^

haha indeed! Strak en kaal :lol:

11. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I hope to show all sponsors and hardware in this reply so I can more on with the modding in the next reply. Since I really need to show modding to be allowed in this section I hope my previous projects have given me a little credit so that the moderators will know that in the next updates modding shalt commenceth!

First of all BitFenix with the case. I will start with the black one. The aircooled "dark being". ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks BitFenix and especially Michel for providing it to me for this project :thumb:

[​IMG]

Next up is Gigabyte. This is one of those sponsorings where a previous project that didn't go through changed into a change of hardware and led to this project. Gigabyte BeNeLux provided the project with the new MiniITX Z97N-WiFi motherboard. I bought the Z87N-WiFi myself for the white build. Gigabyte HQ provided this project with a GTX770 OC Windforce3. I am really happy to receive this for the black build. It fits in perfect in every way. From the performance to the shape and colour of the aircooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gigabyte also provided me with 2 sets of in-ear headphones. Well not me personally. They are for giving away to followers of my log in 2 different communities. I can say up front that Bit Tech is one of them. So soon you can obtain one of these :clap:

Thank you Gigabyte for the sponsorship with special thanks to Bernice, Eva and Catherine :rock:

[​IMG]

https://www.facebook.com/GIGABYTE.Benelux

A sponsor special for this project is BeQuiet. The stealthy look and strong performance of their high-end hardware fits the project perfect. They provided me with 2 120mm fans, 2 140mm fans (all silent wings 2), a Powerzone 750W full modular PSU (and I LOVE full modular PSUs) and a Dark Rock 3 CPU cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for wanting to help me with this project BeQuiet! Special thanks goes to Christopher and Armelle :rock:

[​IMG]

And last but certainly not least the fine gentlemen from Kingston HyperX. They were planned on 2 other projects that were cancelled because of reasons outside of me. So I was getting quite nervous about it. I think when you get a sponsorship you need to deliver as well. You need to create a good project and feature those parts in. And I could understand very well that these gentlemen would become rather restless since it was taking ages now. It is a great thing I could use the parts in these builds. They sponsored me with 4 HyperX Beast 8GB 1600 Mhz memory and 4 of their 120GB 3k SSDs. I have a special plan for those babies.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot for believing in me Krys, Edward and J.B. and thank you HyperX for helping out with this build :rock:

[​IMG]

12. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Nice parts! Looking forward to the modding:)

Vetalar likes this.
  13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks a lot!

------------------------------------------------------------

Well I needed to get an idea how big stuff was on and in the case before I could start measuring and make and order stuff. So that is what I started with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have also been busy sketching on the case with a white pencil to see what looks good and what doesn't. haha

[​IMG]

I will show you what I did with the sidepanel in a bit.

First the motherboard. The Z97 is a big up compared to the Z87 because the Z87 socket is waaaaay too close to the PCI-E slot for a normal aircooler.
    It is silimar in specs but boy did they improve on the layout of the mobo. Almost alle connectors have gone to the outside border of the mobo.
    The Z87 has all kinds of connectors under the aircooler in the middle.

Only downside is the placement of the 4 sata connectors. When using ram and a gfx card they will be hard to get to.
    But hey you have to put the stuff somewhere on this tiny mobo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is fixed and installed.
    As you can see the front 140 mm fan hits the ram so I have the option to a) move the fan up like I have did now b)put the fan in pull position only or c) get a 120mm fan instead. I am really toying with the idea of getting a 120mm PWM fan and installing that instead of this one. It should fit exactly. I have tried with one of the fans I was already using for the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next update there will be modding!

14. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Looking good bro.
    :D

15. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thank you hun :blush:

-----------------------------------------------------

One of the things I have been realy struggling with in my hollow skull is the exact shapes and holes for the fans and sidepanels. I had like a concept in my mind, like a flow. But I just couldn't get the right angles on paper. But after a while I just had a go at it. Who doesn't dare....etc etc

So I created a rectangle shaped hole for the front fan to match more the top of the case. There will be a smoked plexi cover over it like the idea in the render. I also created the windows on the sidepanels for a testfit and then made the holes in the doorpanels. And tbh I am rather happy with it. Although it needs to come together with the cover over the case as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What are these holes and drawings? :think:

[​IMG]

ZOMG it almost looks alien-like. It this their landing zone??? :eyebrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What I did not like was the transparency of the plexiglas. It needs to be less transparent / let less light through. So I ordered another 4 samples of various types of grey smoked plexiglass. I chose a better version and have just ordered a big 750mm*750mm sheet from Germany. I will recreate the windows out of it and a shop close to me will laser the front and top end out of it.

Lastly I will need to bend this lasercut piece in the shape of the case myself. That is going to be tricky to say the least. If I screw up it means throwing away an expensive lasercut piece and ordering it again.

16. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Last week Ian helped me finishing the vector that will be sent to the lasercutting shop near where I live.
    An image of it I posted a bit lower.
    I have ordered 4 samples of smoked plexi to help me decide which one to go with.
    The one in the previous pictures was much too transparent.

So I ordered a big sheet of plexiglass in my specific type to be lasercut.
    By now it has arrived.

Thank you very much an for helping me out!
    You are always so friendly and never take credit for your work by adding a logo or your name to a banner or other gfx.

I mean look everybody how modest he is. Don't you just love this guy?

:wallbash: :rolleyes: :D :clap:

[​IMG]

17. -MisterX-

-MisterX- Minimodder

Hahaha:D
    Nice progress btw:thumb:

18. Sassanou

Sassanou What's a Dremel?

Wow, a real good start !!!!

19. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Thanks a lot MrX! :thumb:

Thanks Matt, good to see you here :clap:

20. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

A little teaser of what I took home from the lasershop last tuesday evening.

[​IMG]