1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Watermod Desk ! COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sassanou, 22 Jul 2014.

1. Sassanou

Sassanou What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

It's summer vacation, so we decided to take a bit of relaxation to do something a little different and that can serve as an example ! ^^

So what then?

We always hear the same comments about our mods as that they are not villains but cost too much money, that only high-end parts could be attractive, and so on. :)

Another thing : you, as we, are fans for most mods desk or office that also serves as a "container" for a host PC (in the style of Red Harbinger desk or L3P desk by Peter Brands).

Well we decided during the summer to make a Watermod one but TOTALLY affordable with a low budget!

Our goal is to try to show that with "normal" hardware, but not high-end, not expensive materials, and with just some ideas and "elbow grease", we can do a dream desk (well, we hope lol ^^)

We'll show you everything like that if you want to redo the same at home, you can, and we will told you even price + the cost of manufacturing so that you can judge yourself the low budget to do this desk !

Are you interested ? :)

First photos tomorrow !

Thanks to all my sponsors on this project ! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jan 2015
  2. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Good luck Matt!

3. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

4. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

If there is no pictures of work in progress, it is not a build log.

There is nothing more disappointing than going into a worklog only to see a wall of text.

Please read up on the rules.

B NEGATIVE likes this.
  5. Sassanou

Thnaks mate ! ;)

You're welcome ! :)

There is nothing more disappointing than having a comment of one person who never comes in my other worklog but comes to teach me rules when I make here my first "mistake" :)

Anyway, here is a picture of the first hardware parts that will be in this desk !

A good old SLI of GTX 580 Direct CU2 with Waterblock which cost me 150eur ;)
    This picture was made by the seller, the package is on the way to my house ^^

[​IMG]

6. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I am sorry if it offended you. But when you see a nickname you recognize start a new worklog, it is a bit sad and frustrating when there is no pictures to see, as you expect it to be great.

I have done it too, and someone reminded me about this. Just as I try to remind you about it now.

I know that something crazy will come, but it is always better to wait and then post when you have the first progress. That way people are also prone to come back easier, and hit the f5 key to it break.

7. Sassanou

Ok, said like that I understand ;)

Next time I will therefore do more attention :thumb:

8. Sassanou

It's done !
    Start of the work :)

So after a ride in my DIY store, I am left with a plate of 22mm thick MDF for the modest sum of 70EUR.

A few cuts later and we have all panels needed to make the office.

I took the opportunity to attack the achievement of the 1st foot office (side plate) giving him enough forms "aggressive" and dynamic, but on your side, you can leave the rectangular plates, refer to forms you want (rounded, zig-zag, etc etc).

You can see (on the upper part) the rectangular box where all the hardware will be set.

FYI, I'm working with only a jigsaw and cuts are finished with one lime (metal and not wood, to less "attack" the MDF, but it is matter of taste).

Tomorrow I will finished this panel with drilling + fixing a grid which will set a 360 radiator and I'll start the creation of the second panel (the same for the other side) !

Voila, you know everything :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sassanou

Hi !

Update of the day :)

The front of the desk has been cut to be consistent with the style of feet and refine the silhouette !

The tray was placed below and tomorrow you will see the centerpiece that take place over and allow you to mount the hardware parts cleanly and without breaking the bank :)

I also fix the back plate and now I must cut two plates : a reinforcement that will be between both feet and also the plate above where I will put a large smoked glass.

After this, the woodwork is finished :)

[​IMG]

10. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Not bad Matt!

11. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

He doesn't need luck Tim you n00b. :lol:

Looks sweet Sass :)

12. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

haha that is so true. I am just trying to bring him down to my level ;) :p

13. dodge63

dodge63 What's a Dremel?

Good job Mat !!!

14. Sassanou

Thanks !!

lol
    And thanks too :D

huhuhu, stop saying foolery :D

Thanks, my faithful assistant :thumb:

And update !

And here is one of the biggest tricks of this desk! ^^

Can not find the "motherboard tray" that suit you? You have an old box that you want to disassemble it, but are afraid of the final report? You do not know how to arrange the components in the desk?

Nothing more simple and economical than using a benchtable Banchetto K by MICROCOOL!

This way, no need to break your head, everything is on the benchtable, nothing behind, this makes ultra-clean layout ;)

And cost level, it is the same as buying a motherboard tray or you will build everything around.

For the rest, one of my clients sold a couple of two pumps and two rads for 140EUR And here is one of the biggest tricks of this desk!

Can not find the "motherboard tray" that suit you? You have an old box that you want to disassemble it, but are afraid of the final report? You do not know how to arrange the components in the desk?

Nothing more simple and economical than using a benchtable Banchetto K by MICROCOOL!

This way, no need to break your head, everything is on the table bench, nothing behind, this makes ultra-clean layout.
    And cost level, it is the same as buying a motherboard tray or you will build everything around.

For the rest, one of my clients sold a couple of two pumps and two rads for 140EUR (some work to do with it, painting rads, etc., but the base is healthy).

There will be two completely identical and symmetrical circuits with one for GPU and one for CPU ! It will be nice I think :)

The next time I will mount the rear plate with etched for a grid / fan to eject the hot air from the PSU and then we'll see for the rest, one thing at a time ^^

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Sassanou

The top is done ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Sassanou

Some update !

And first of all, thanks Microcool, Asus and Corsair for their help :)

Here are new pics of the work done !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So :

- I listened to the comments and I reinforced the legs by adding a second plate, put on cleats to provide relief, and dynamism, and these will be painted black while the rest of the office will be full white: it will make a interesting contrast

- I created the etched on the bottom of the desktop to install the 140mm fan that will be used to extract hot air expelled directly from the diet.

- I also did the cable management on MicroCool Banchetto K: frankly, this table bench is a killer so we can do something super clean as mounting type !!!

- I have mod the power supply to make the colors of my brand/mod ^^

17. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Looking good so far Matt.

18. jojoharalds

jojoharalds Minimodder

Very nice work(altough i would think it had been a better idea to take out the testbench and put a thinner plate as a motherboard tray(since the testbench is 35mm thick,
    And believe me when i say 35mm lower arm possition Does madder quite alot.

And again very clean work keep it up.

19. Sassanou

Thanks mate !!

Thanks !
    In fact, for my morphology and the chair I use, the desk is really perfect :)
    But I admit it could be different regarding other peoples ;)

Update !
    And first, thanks to Bitspower for helping me in this project !!!

I've add the watercooling parts just to see if it's fit or not, and I'm happy with the result :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Sassanou

Thanks !!

It won't be the Desk of the year but I hope it will have a good looking ;)