1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling i7-4790K stock cooler unsafe?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by james-milligan, 29 Aug 2014.

1. james-milligan

james-milligan Minimodder

Hi all,

I have just built a computer for my friend in a Corsair SPEC-01 with an i7-4790K and just the stock intel cooler for now as no one recommended me a cooler i could order from scan with the rest of my order on my build advice thread. I thought as we weren't going to overclock yet, the stock cooler should suffice for a while. On first start up, the temperature in the BIOS was 60-65C which I thought was pretty warm. On coretemp whilst idling at the desktop the temperatures stay around 30C which seems pretty good, but once doing anything much the temperatures spike by huge amounts. I ran the windows experience index test and core #1 hit 95C with the others not far behind. That really doesn't seem safe...
    The cooler seemed to be really securely fitted, like I tried pulling on it a bit and it didn't seem to move on the motherboard at all. I did think the 3 strips of TIM on the cooler was a bit odd, compared to putting a think layer on the CPU when applying your own. I think i have some arctic silver 5 somewhere in my house. If i redid it with that, would that help or should I really just get a new cooler straight away? Can someone please recommend one? I hope reaching 95C for a very short period is safe for the CPU and hasn't affected it in any way. I'm scared to do anything else knowing it can easily reach such temperatures.

What should I do?

Thanks

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

That's sounds a bit hot, tbh I never use the Intel stock cooler so I couldn't say if that normal or not I doubt you've done any damage to the CPU.

If that was me I'd have used one of the corsair H80 coolers or the H100 if there's room

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Sounds normal for a stock cooler. My very first 4770K hit 100c at stock under a Thermalright Silver Arrow but that was a fault with the chip and not the cooler.

I wouldn't be too worried but I would look at a replacement soon.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The stock cooler is pretty much designed to keep it from melting - but only just - in the cheapest way possible...

It's a bit like ISP modems/routers, do you *really* have much faith in something they're [essentially] giving away?

Yes it seems a bit hot but it'll be fine as long as you're not thrashing it 24/7...

As for cooler recommendations it depends, like all things, on how much you're prepared to spend [and in the case of some of the bigger air coolers what ram you have]

5. james-milligan

Hmm, okay thanks guys. It is just a little worrying to see such a high temperature! We are looking at overclocking in the future so getting a decent cooler now would be good. There are two adjacent 120mm fan mounts in the roof of the case towards the back, and one 120mm fan mount at the back of the case. I see there are cheaper refurbished H80's and H100's on scan. Is it better to buy new though? The RAM is corsair vengeance LP so I think most coolers should be fine. I'm not sure how much to spend on a cooler to be honest but it sounds like spending a fair amount could be worth it

6. Teelzebub

I personly wouldn't feel comfortable with those temps but that's me.

The ram will be fine whatever cooler you choose, as for referbs some people have had problems with them most people don't you still get a warranty with the referbs .

7. james-milligan

Yeah, I'm not comfortable with those temps! Does anyone have much to say about the H80i? apparently the H100i wouldn't fit in the spec-01. People on scan seem to be complaining about the usb control not working properly for them.
    I've also just read it needs to be powered by a sata power connection, and the only spare one is on the cable going to the optical drive so wouldn't reach...
    Any suggestions? should I just get an air cooler or is there a different water cooler I can use?

edit: it looks like a cable comes from the block and should hopefully reach the remaining sata power connection so maybe I can use the H80i if it is recommended

Last edited: 30 Aug 2014
  8. james-milligan

Should I also be adjusting voltages like here?
    This is the same motherboard as me as well

9. Teelzebub

As you can see in my sig I've got H80i in mine and it works great although I'm using it slightly different from most people, I did find I got better temps using IC diamond paste TIM and I use the small pea size blob in the centre of the CPU and tightened it down.

Bty the referb H80 isn't the i version not that it's a problem imo

As for the volts check in the BIOS and see what it is you won't do any harm trying it lower stress test after and check if it's stable .

Last edited: 30 Aug 2014
  10. james-milligan

Well as long as it wouldn't exceed say 75 under load at stock with the provided TIM then that would be fine for now, and the TIM could be changed if needed for overclocking. I am aware of the difference between the 80 and 80i, and would probably get a new 80i. The software control sounds pretty good. Gone to bed now, but I will look at the voltages tomorrow and maybe change them as the other person has to see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the advice :)

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Neither would I.
    A 4790K running without an overclock, and using the stock Intel HS should be around 70-80c under load, AFAIK it will start throttling around 100c.

12. james-milligan

Ok so I adjusted the voltages the same as was suggested on the thread i linked, with Vcore at 1.15, down from 1.3 something, and the Vrin to 1.71. Windows experience index got the same results but max temp this time was 74C so I'm guessing that is safe. Should I be using something better to test it though? I still think I'm going to get the H80i though

13. james-milligan

Bit of a change of topic but planning to add an R9 270X as well. Looks like the 430W power supply will just be able to take everything!

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. Teelzebub

Definitely get the cooler, windows experience isn't a stress program actually it's pretty usless try this one but keep an eye on it, would be good for the new GPU as well

https://unigine.com/products/heaven/ or http://download.cnet.com/Prime95-64-bit/3000-2053_4-75869492.html

Edit I think you should get the cooler first tbh

15. james-milligan

So it just about reached 100 degrees on prime95 after about 10 mins on the balanced test. Hovered at 80 for the first 10 mins then looked away for like a min, then looked back and it was really high. This is with the H80i by the way, but I think I messed up the installation of it, like I installed the rad and fans first but it was really awkward to fit the plate to the CPU and it probably touched and came off a couple of times so thermal paste is probably messy. Going to redo it properly at some point with fresh paste and hopefully that will do the job...

16. Teelzebub

Maybe a good idea to replace the TIM now, how did you install the rad/fans I assume it's in a push pull config is it mounted to pull air in or push out of the case either should OK but you could try the other way

If it's still to hot it's likely to be to much heat build up in the case or faulty CPU, small cases can be problematic for cooling.