1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project "AcryCon" Acrylic HPTX/24 Threads Dual CPU and Loop Casecon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ThomasB, 2 Oct 2014.

1. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

First of all a huge thanks to this guys, you're awesome.

Thanks to Mundi Valur from Icemodz, for providing me with high quality cables, LEDS, cable management and other stuff.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Andreas Klassen from Aquatuning, for providing me with watercooling parts that make the dual loop happen.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Lily and Vincent from Bitspower.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Matthias Brömel from Moddingstylez for providing me with awesome films and decals. You were always a person of contact who is there if you need a little help.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Peter from EK Waterblocks for providing me with coolant, ddc housings and an hd tubing kit.

[​IMG]

Thanks to Bundymania for interfering a lots of contacts and providing me with a lot of your knowledge about watercooling.

[​IMG]

Please click the Banners to get transfered to the respective pages.

Index:

1. Foreword.

2. Little introduction

3. The ideas and concept.

4. Hardware planned

5. And its realization

Hello Folks,

1.Foreward:

Im currently working on a custom case, from the scratch and of course i didn't want to withheld it from
    you. This work log will be kept in english, due to sponsors and friends all
    around the globe. It also makes it easier for me to copy it to english forums.
    Please be tolerant if i do any mistakes in language, its not my native one.

Ill answer any questions in German though.
    Ich beantworte natürlich jede eurer Fragen auch in Deutsch.

2. A little introduction:

Some words about myself: Im Thomas, 23, from the centre of Germany and studying
    business economics right now. Since i got all the tools and skills i need for a
    casecon, besides a laser, i wanted to give it a try. Ive modded some classic
    Cases from Lian Li and Thermaltake before, but the idea to build a case on my
    own, is in my head for a long time.

3. The ideas and concept:

The idea was to create a case, which fits to my furniture without having to spare on any feature a
    premium case has. That means in particular, it should be of high quality, with
    a good cable management and lots of space for my watercooling. I was looking
    for a case on the common market, but there weren't any cases that are simple in
    design, with a good cooling and as angular and slim as i’d like to have it. Sounds
    like Caselabs, but it wasn't an option for me, even though superior
    watercooling solutions, the appearance is not what i am looking for. I also
    wanted it to be fitting straight to my needs without any more or less.

Some keyfacts/ideas:

-Using only acrylic and aluminium to keep it lightweight.
    -Inverted HPTX/ATX Layout.
    -Three seperate chambers for the radiators. Every rad gets fresh air from
    the outside, and will exhaust it out oft he case without supply the others with
    warm air.
    -Cooling as quiet and low in temperature as possible, with the option for
    quad SLI. Ill be able to cool my Dual Titan Setup, Dual CPU, Board and Rams
    with less than 35° Watertemperatur under load while remaining whisper quiet.
    -Having no more cable(s) visible than needed.
    -Keep everything as edged and minimalist as possible.
    -Dual Loop Acrylic Tubing, to have each Cpu, Dim, the two parted MB Block
    and each VGA in another color.

[​IMG]

When checking other modding forums, i got in touch with someone selling an EVGA SR-2 including two
    Xeon hexa-cores. Whoever has seen this motherboard, its literally a monster,
    knows that the case had to be appropriate.

[​IMG]

To cut a long story short, i had to create something unique.

4. The hardware planned:

-EVGA SR-2
    -2x Xeon 5649
    -A GTX Titan with very good overclocking results, cooled by Aquacomputer
    Kryographics. Ill either go for a second one soon, or check out how the new GTX
    980 will perform. At 1,21 V, my Titan is as fast as a 780 TI with medium
    overclocking.
    -Temporary 8 GB Ram of Mushkins Silverline 1333. Im open to any suggestions
    what Rams will find ist place in the case. Currently im thinking of Corsair
    Dominator for easy watercooling(holy they are expensive) or Kingstons Hyperx
    Fury in white.
    -A 480, 420 and 360 ST30 Radiator.
    -Custom Reservoir.
    -Two Laings DDC1-T with Phobya Tops.
    -A lot of E-Loops and 3 PK2 by Noiseblocker
    -Aquaero 5 LT to control my fans and pump.
    -Corsair RM 650 Power Supply. Will get something new when i get a new VGA.
    Maybe Superflower?
    -Currently using an Intel M320 SSD, a bid outdated, problably heading for
    Samsungs Evo. Same story here, im open to suggestions.

5. The realization:

How did i get started?
    Good question. The initial idea, even before i wanted to build a one of a kind
    case, was to modify my old Lian LI 2110A to make it fit HPTX. I ordered a Lian
    LI D8000-3 Mainboard tray which is also the basic for this case.

And thats how things started, from the drawing board. There werent any
    standards given but the size oft he tray.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately i got twice of this kind of „special version“ tray.

[​IMG]

Damaged/bent while shipping from UK to Germany :/

Since this trays arent made of thicker metal, it was quite easy to get it straight again though.

Back to computer work, i had to draw the parts in a standard, that could be used for laser cutting. I
    knew that the fan grid would be to complex do it with common tools.

[​IMG]

The first drawings followed... No Screws should be visible on front and window
    side. A decorative screen was needed and first was also the last brainchild.

[​IMG]

Some samples ordered and after first inspection i was sure, it will be themed
    in a combination of glossy and matt „satinice“ acrylic. Last one is pretty
    impressive, awesome haptic and beeing opaque.

[​IMG]

It felt like there are spreading 300 new Corsair 900d with an ROG Board kept in
    all dark/red every month. Easy decision to use another color :D

Other parts followed the same way. Draw in Illustrator, get them to lasercut in highgloss 6mm acrylic.

[​IMG]

Fillport on top(20 MM to fit the Bitspower Fillport) and holes for a 420 Radiator. To keep everything flush-mount,
    the top got lasered twice. The bottom is made to fit a 360 Radiator, and a 150
    mm hole that the power supply gets the needed fresh air.

[​IMG]

The back was rather complex. Using 8.5 cm for the top radiator, getting his
    fresh air from the rear, and about 16 cm for power supply and bot radiator
    exhaust. Addin’ holes for standard atx supply too.

A forced little pause again...

[​IMG]

The other parts came fine,
    so i had time to make a little trying on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feser 480(which will not be in the build), 4 eloop B12-2 and the front as it will look later. The
    protection film is still on, so the green is not as shiny as it is in real.

To keep the case angular and solid, i decided to use 10 mm aluminium profiles
    as a frame for the top and bottom parts. On miter as good as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Twice the fun for top and bottom. Drilling the holes, and countersink the 4 mm holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Removing the film and thats it, shiny glossy top part.

I could start to combine the rest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Followed by preparing the tray. Had to add a cable lead-through to have an easier connection of front
    panel connectors and graficcards power.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was using the same profiles to keep the tray horizontal, even with at least 5kg in coolers on it.

[​IMG]

A first test with the acrylic.

[​IMG]

Perfect fit...

[​IMG]

Adding holes and connect
    the parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill go for shorter screws
    here probably later.

[​IMG]

Same story for link. Using a 6mm sample to have the right distance.

[​IMG]

Two more L-angles to fixate the trayholders.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Meanwhile the first sleeves arrived, i think it will fit quite well.

[​IMG]

...and Mundis LEDs. Two 60 CM with 15 LEDs each for illumination top and bottom area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats it for now. Will keep you guys updated...

Unfortunately i can post updates only once an hour, so the first impression will be available in 2 hours.

Update 1 : Casefeets

Stainless Steel Casefeets, beautiful. Thanks to Markus at this Point!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 2:

Acrylic Sidepanels.

Used 6mm Smoked Glass with only 20 ± % Transmission. The case will be nearly looking black, if the PC is turned on, its getting transparent.

Have a look from another project...

Turned off:

[​IMG]

Turned on:

[​IMG]

As the pc looks like with the panels and feet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update 3:

Since the exterior is nearly finished, besides from a way to fix the panels without any visible screws and the two vandal switches for power and reset(lol windows user), i continued on working on the interior.

First of all, i added other aluminium profiles that will hold the top- and midplate. Get yourself surprised when i finish the last one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was a bid tricky to fix the front profiles, since there should be no screws visible on the front panel either.

[​IMG]

I decided to cut some transparent holders. They will be covered later, but meanwhile, it works without seeing a single screw.

[​IMG]

I cut some holders for the "rear mount" out of a 15 mm profile. They wont be visible later the build either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive cutted the topplate, out of 5 mm clear acrylic...

[​IMG]

and started to give it a little try on painting an offcut.

[​IMG]

Its white plastic paint, getting very glossy and adding a lot of depth if you paint the acrylic from the backside.

When being sure that the paint doesnt suck, ive painted my topplate too.

[​IMG]

and the same awesome effect...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pictures cant describe how shiny it is, its literally like a mirror.

Added a Moddingstylez and Bitspower Decal too. I have a lot of space on the topplate, since its mainly used for seperating the radiators and providing some space to SSDs and my Aqauero.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting is, that those decals throw a shadow on its own. Looks great imho.

I also used D-C-Fix film to get the motherboard tray white. At this point, i dont know if i want to paint it, not even the color of choice, neither the adornments i want to use. It might be temporary.

[​IMG]

Remember the Board is huge, you dont need to cover more than that :D

[​IMG]

Ill probably change those stripes to anything else later, but i don't know yet, what it will be.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2014
  2. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

New Stuff from Aquatuning and EKWB. Thanks to Andreas and Peter! EKWB Stuff will be updated later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

My both ddc will weigh about 2kg, full nickel

Radiators will get painted white.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Im sure PARVUM are flattered that you copied them.

4. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

You mean cause the second layer for hiding screws is the same shape? Im pretty sure, its a lot more work and ideas in it than reducing the build on the first picture you see.

However, currently working on a third (and more different) layer. It wont end up the way it is right now.

Admins have to approve my other post first...

Last edited: 3 Oct 2014
  5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

I don't get modders like this. What is even worse is I don't get the sponsors of such projects. Last time we had the guy that blatantly copied the Model 01 mod and received a huge amount of sponsorship from big brands. Now this. Seriously man. How can you make this, act like it is your design and have brands sponsor you. The entire front is a stright copy from Parvum right up to the point of the design of the fan grills. And you don't even mention Parvum. That is the worst part. If you would at least tell people you copied their design because you like it so much that is one thing. But this. Sorry but you are completely respectless towards Parvum. :nono:

6. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

copying fan grills? lol

as i said, im going to add another layer. besides from that, it has nothing in common but being mostly acrylic.

7. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the late responses, forum administratives has to confirm my posts first...

just to make sure i dont want to infringe any of parvums copyrights, im uploading some scetches. Ive got around 45 on my computer now(some bad, some worse :D, some i like) and still looking for the one, that i like most.

Please be patient, as i said a couple of times, its not the final front. Its just the easiest way to cover any screws visible.

I actually like some ideas with the 6 sided polygons, maybe its getting one of that when i find out who to randomly spread them on a rectangle. I also rasterized the bp logo, maybe im going for an option based on that too since a lot of the upcoming progress is based on it. (custom reservoir for 2 loops and the midplate with water distribution)

regards.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

p.s. thumbnails are too small for the small lines, but i wont spam you with even more large pictures.

Last edited: 3 Oct 2014
  8. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

9. kuala

kuala What's a Dremel?

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but to not only imitate, but entirely rip off of a very original design with no mention of the original designers is disgusting.

10. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Sigh....

[​IMG]

v

[​IMG]

Seriously?

11. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Feel free to ignore what im writing and be the douchebag you want to be.

12. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Here I was thinking I had overlooked the Parvum involvement and was going to go back and re-read the beginning. Guess I can skip that...

:nono::nono::nono:

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Modding and scratch builds especially are supposed to be all about originality - in this build you show that you have exactly NONE of that, since you've quite obviously ripped off Parvum in your design.

You might think that Bit Techs response has been hostile, but you'll get exactly the same response everywhere you go.

Pathetic.

14. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Only thing pathetic is the hostile reaction. Sure is the screw cover looking similiar. It wont be final though and only transitionally. Feel free to bash and ignore everything written there. Pathetic, right.

If you think the front makes it a parvum case, okay. However, i think everyone should be so fair to not judge a project on the first post made, even when telling several times that it wont be looking that withing the next week. But i might be wrong if im expecting that amount of fairness.

Again, its not intented to stay like that. And i think the build is way more than the one piece of acrylic youre reducing it too.

15. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Did the second Layer for the Front:

[​IMG]

Will use the same matt acrylic as for the green part, in pumpkin orange. Should suit to the Gigabyte's orange from EK/Mayhems.

I want to go for two led stripes behind the (green) vertical cuttings to illuminate the orange acrylic. Theres at least 3 mm space in depth, should be fine with most stripes.

[​IMG]

I actually like those polygons, im still thinking wether i should go for an Aquaero 6 (display) integration on the top or bottom side or if i should make it internally with a second Aquaero 5 Lt. Unfortunately i can't realise the dual loop with two flow sensors and two pumps with a single AE 5 LT.

Probably painting radiators today.

Regards

Last edited: 7 Oct 2014
  16. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Finaly good weather in Germany :)

[​IMG]

Stuff for Lasercutting is also done, hoping it arrives me next week.

17. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Updated:

[​IMG]

thinking of removing the fan grills:

[​IMG]

side view:

[​IMG]

(first and third picture are still with the protection film, second picture shows the real color)

Last edited: 24 Oct 2014
  18. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Started rebuilding my good old used SR-2 with new waterblocks from Bitspower. Im kinda eager to see how it will look filled up with pastel green and orange from EK/Mayhems.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My custom reservoir and some cables covers are finished. However, have to wait for the sun until i can paint them and keep you guys updated. Hoping i can do this soon.

19. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Also demounting heat spreader from Corsairs Dominators and mounting the DIMM 6 Blocks from Bitspower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres a final impression on the board as it is so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thats a lot of cash ...

Update 8:

As i said on the beginning here, Sylvain from Coolermaster sent me a nice V1000 PSU. It might be close with 3 780Tis(250W each) and 2 Xeon 5649 (90 W each) but ill give it a try. I can still upgrade to a V1200 if my PC crashes in benchmarks. Under normal circumstances i wont be ever having full load on 24 threads and 3 Gpus i guess.

Dont want to talk bad about my old Corsair, but its next level quality regarding cables, packaging and haptic. Im glad Coolermaster was so generous.

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Besides from that, i've added some cable covers. I cant paint them at the moment(its too cold) and will be using a decal until spring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately the reservoir plate has a little too much depths. Ill go for a smaller one in cooperation with Markus/Marta (www.stempelhauser.de)

It will get a masked Bitspower logo which will shine in both water colors when filled up.

[​IMG]

Final update so far!, Update 9:

Three Asus 780 TI Matrix Platinum!

[​IMG]

Its seriously hard to get a straight build with mainly vertical or horizontal tubing when using this combination of board and blocks. I decided to use an illuminated midplate (21 mm) with water distribution to get easy from each part to another part.

Measuring all the distances....

[​IMG]

And typing anything to Illustrator for the CAD.

Adding pump and Radiator positions...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And heres why im going such a complex way:

[​IMG]

(click the thumbnail for a large view of the loops)

Thats it for now!

Best regards,
    Thomas

20. ThomasB

ThomasB What's a Dremel?

Update 10:

Hey guys,

Ive got some bigger updates for you!

I started on testing fans and mounting them to the radiators and into the case. In first i had some(16) Noiseblocker B-12-2 eloops but despite the nice apearence of them, i had to swap them since i couldnt get rid of a low frequency noise when mounting them with the front. Ive ordered Noctuas (Industrial PWM) even though they are quite expensive.

Have a look…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks to Mr Dellinger from Noctua who made them at least a little less expensive :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The brown edges need some time to get used to but fortunately i wont see them a lot. Since they are very quiet, and starting from unrecognisable 200 RPM, i can live with that. The noise level is a little less more important than its look.

[​IMG]

Following up by some acrylic work. Whoever is following my facebook page(http://www.facebook.com/acrycon) might have seen some of those spoilers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That CnC is truly magic. Its a very elaborate midplate due to 5 layers, gluing them to have it consistent in addition to a lot of threads. Some picture of the finished played will follow at the end of this post so be patient. Continuing to read might be worth it ;)

Ive also got some new peripherals from Cooler Master. Thanks again to Sylvain for this awesome stuff. The quality is awesome and i dont wanna miss them.

My old keyboard, well, had to get refreshed after years of duty :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also finished the reservoir. After having some doubts, everything is leakproof and im satisfied with the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But as i said before, the actual highlight should be the midplate i was working on. Its illuminated, has water distribution from part to part of the board, 5 layers of acrylic. Its realised by a combination of “endlighten XT” and trueLED Plexiglas® in combination with super bright LEDs to have a very good light distribution. Only thing ill do in future is to add a matt foil to the borders in order to not see any of those ledspots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here we go, just for a small test but i will fix anything when i start with the tubing today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im quite happy with the result and cant wait to see how it will look when filled up with both watercolors!

In the end i want to show you a picture of the new GPUs and the desk. There was and there will be an update soonish. I swapped from my 3 Matrix Platinum to 3 EVGA 780 TI Superclocked since they have a smaller pcb and wont be in conflict with the tubing i had planned. Unfortunately i will have to rma them (again) since they all have coilwhining. Im feeling unlucky here.

Regarding the desk, i wanna swap to a 34” widescreen (probably from AOC) to have more space for the tower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best regards,
    Thomas