1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Am I an internet Luddite?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete J, 21 Oct 2014.

1. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Not a rant as such but it seemed the most appropriate prefix.

I just want to know how much my fellow Bit-Techers use the intertubes nowadays. Personally, I like to just read web pages on stuff I find interesting. I have a Facebook page but only log in on average about once a year as I would rather be doing anything than seeing what a distant friend has done for lunch. I've no idea how Twitter works.

In a nutshell, I suppose I only use the internet for emailing, shopping and general interest. I actually get a bit annoyed about how Amazon and the like wants to link to a Facebook account so my friends can see what I bought - who cares?! Don't get me wrong - I like using Amazon but I just want to use it as a shop.

This probably isn't the most coherent of thoughts but hopefully you chaps and chapesses can see what I'm getting at. Anyone care to comment?

2. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I don't understand twitter.

Any of it.

So I guess I'm somewhat a luddite.

3. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Luddite is completely the wrong term. Don't feel like you're missing out on something by not using social media. About the only things I post on Facebook nowadays are photos, and by photos I mean proper photos on a decent camera, and not of my damned face or a plate of food.

Don't change, you don't need to, and especially don't think you're being archaic in thinking what you think.

4. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I'm a fellow Luddite.
    I don't have any social media accounts neither twitter or Facebook. That might be an age thing though, as I'm 40+ :eeek:

I only read sites I have an interest in and I like shopping on line.

I do spend many hours on the tinternet tho

5. jebk

jebk What's a Dremel?

I use facebook semi regularly, but I only see value in twitter as a curated content aggregator rather than a communication mechanism. As far as 'social media' go, I much prefer forums as well as other more structured stuff like reddit.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I only have a linked in. That's it.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

I've recently started using twitter / linkedin but usually I only use forums and blogs and stuff.

And yes, the constant befriend-us-on-facebook/give-us-your-facebook-account is going on my nerves.

I knof missed the social media thing, but I can see the addiction.
    In the late 90's, I used chatrooms and mIRC a lot, and it was fun and you get used to thinking that people you don't physically know are available and your "friends".

BUT

This was before smartphones, we weren't "alway on", no pictures, no uninvited outsiders, no shouting to the world.

ah well.

8. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I hate twitter and how a lot of people now think the '#' is actually called a hashtag. F hashtags. Right in the ass. Hard. With a cricket bat handle.....

9. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

If you're an internet Luddite then so am I - and proudly so.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I do have a Facebook account but use it only to access groups I am interested in. As for Twitter I just don't get it.

A rather pompous acquaintance justified his having a Twitter account by saying he followed scientists though what they can say in 140 characters is beyond me. The rest of it just seems so called 'celebs' twittering on about nothing, if you will forgive the pun.

Don't get me wrong I love the interweb thingy just certain aspects escape me.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not a user of social media.

As it for being an age thing that's not it, after the 18-24 year old group (30.9%) the 2nd biggest group of users of FB (27%) are those in the 35-54 year old group. The youth groups are also deserting FB. All US figures BTW clicky

Of any social media I can see the point of FB if you live the other side of the world from friends or family.

Twitter, I can see it's use for companies but I don't want to listen to the soundbite thoughts of randoms and anybody/anything I am interested in I would invest more of my time in by reading something more in depth about, or by, them.

12. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

This. My family keep in touch with each other, see photos of the kids growing up etc... so, in that respect it's useful. I don't use it to keep in touch with anyone - misanthrope that I am. I have an account, for those occasional links someone fires out that are facebook only, but it's looked down tight with next to no info stored on there.

Twitter? Well, if you really must know what Kim Kardashian had for breakfast, or how many times your mate has had a poo, crack on - knock yourself out. "OMG, some no mark, Z-list celeb retweeted one of my comments - my life suddenly has meaning!"

Eff right off.

13. creative

creative 500rwhp

and instagram... its just twitter for illiterate people.

I have FB to keep in touch with friends. I have about 30 people on it.. thats it. I hate this whole social media thing even more so when they cry about their latest breakup or breakfast. I dont wish to know about either thanks!

I prefer forums in subjects that interest me. Thats about it!

14. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Ouch. Harsh words there...

15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That's exactly it. I have relatives overseas that I keep in touch with over FB as well as a lot of friends from back in my Yahoo groups days.

Sure you get the monumental amount of crap that goes along with being friends with politically minded tree-hugging types but most of that comes from easily blocked sources so it's only a problem a couple of times.

I use twitter from time to time but the restrictions on post length just annoys me and as for Instagram, meh, it's not too bad I suppose, be selective on your subscriptions (just like anywhere else) and there is some good stuff on there.

I have had a few people that I have worked with try and get me into Linked In and I tried it for a while but it's just so dull and I prefer to do my work, come home and leave all of that behind.

Last edited: 22 Oct 2014
  16. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I had a FB until 2009 when I got married. I deleted it, fully deleted it, which I'm not sure you can even do anymore.

I get irritated by contests that require FB, and hate that Netflix is constantly saying, "hey, connect me up with FB so you can see all the crap other people are watching, and they can see the crap you are watching."

I use Twitter, and have been using it more lately. It's pretty easy to mute users that get retweeted constantly by someone you know, and I like that it's an unfiltered stream (unlike FB which ranks everything and decides for you).

For anyone I actually care about, I keep in touch with email, phone calls, and texts. It works. It's nice. If I don't do these things with you then we're not that close. I don't need to know about all the stupid things that people I don't care about are doing, and I don't want to hear their impossibly stupid stream of consciousness broadcast unfiltered over the internet.

17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Gentlemen - I direct your attention to the title below my username.

No twitfacedit-in for me.

18. creative

creative 500rwhp

haha.. its true!

same rubbish as twitter, just in picture form! I tried it, uploaded this image just to have something on there...

[​IMG]

and subsequently had my account banned for breach of T&C's... like what? that was swiftly uninstalled, never to be used again! Guess I had to be some lame follower junky in a bikini or at the gym in order to keep the account!

19. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

How?

You didn't call it 'two hot rods go dogging' or something did you?

David likes this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Ah, good - it seems several of my fellow forum-goers are of the same ilk!

I do get into some conversations that go like this with my friends though:

'Why did you miss our get together?'
    'You didn't tell me about it!'
    'Yes I did - I put it as an event on Facebook!'
    'Oh - that'll be why'.

And before anyone says 'but you get emails from Facebook', I blocked them as I got fed up of the constant drivel pouring into my inbox.

boiled_elephant likes this.