1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Diet for building muscle mass?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 23 Mar 2011.

1. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Another unusual subject for a forum but maybe somebody can give me a tip

I eat like a horse, literally my diet sucks

Im thin and have little or no fat on my body its just one of those things for me i guess some people say im lucky what meat i have is muscle (not as good as it sounds) but my arms are small and are starting to piss me off

I've started lifting weights but i've seen no physical size improvements, im toned but im not thicker around the arms and seeming one day within 6 months (maybe a year) i plan on my first tattoo i want to be a fair size to put it on

I have no idea on carbs and stuff but im pretty sure to build physical mass i need more protein in my diet, im not an expirienced lifter or have any ambition to get into body building so its not something i have done deep research on.

Im not sure what to do im getting fitter and stronger but not bigger :sigh:

Nealieboyee likes this.
  2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

If your one of those people that dont put weight on easy make sure you train right less reps more weight I did bodybuilding for a lot of years and that was the only way I could gain weight and I tried many different systems but the best was 3 times a week.

Apophis54 and Nealieboyee like this.
  3. Psycho

Psycho Average

Steroids. Tons of 'em.

4. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

P90X
    Try it and you'll s**t yourself! Its a 90 day program and is made for toning, ripping or bulking, dependant on which diet you choose. I'm not usually into this kind of thing, but it kicked me silly mate. You'll start to see results in about 2 weeks.

Also, as Teelzebub mentioned, less reps more weight for bulking. Eat lots of protein. I used protein shakes to supplement, as i couldn't eat enough on my own. This helped a lot.

Apophis54 likes this.
  5. Nealieboyee

Sorry - Double post. It will happen again...

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I have the exact same problem Pixels, I can eat basically anything in any quantity and not see anything bad come of it.

I want some bulk damn it!

7. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Some good points in this thread... except for the most important one!!!11111

8. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

DP, from what you've said before you're not a huge guy structurally (I.e. Bone Mass) so you might want to listen to the Teel with this one chap.

DP, you touch these and I will force a bottle up your backside and drop kick you...

9. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

If you are going to take protein, get it cheap from somewhere like myprotein.co.uk. no fancy packaging (plastic bag) but the quality is top-notch, and they have tons of flavours.

Get small pouches the first time though, some people react badly (get the squits/stomach aches) to some kinds, usually the whey protein if any.

10. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

Oh and what they said ^^ heavy weight, low reps. If you can get 10 reps out without failure, it's too light.

11. Nealieboyee

This is true. I was using whey protein and it gave me really bad gas for the first few weeks.

12. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

6 raw eggs in a glass, down in one then run up some stairs /thread

13. Fishlock

Fishlock .o0o.

Subscribe to Mens health or Mens fitness for a year. Once you've read a handful of them you'll have a much better idea of what food to eat, what supplements are good and bad and what exercises you should be doing to fit with what body you want. It isn't as simple as downing a protein shake and throwing around some heavy weights.

14. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Tragically. Wish it was lol.

I've just started a whole new work out myself... which I know is going to make me a grouchy mo'fo for at least two weeks. I have a gym kit setup at home that has the weight go upto 115Kilo's... so doing alot on that, then I also live on the sixth floor of my appartment building. Up and down those stairs 5 times, maybe more.

Oh I am going to be a sh*t to put up with...

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Ah some good stuff in this thread :thumb:

I expected maybe one troll but not this time, i might go checkout some stuff for protein inna sec will watch out for what to get though as TSDadam said, for a head start and start doing what Tell said i heard it once before less reps more weight probebly the best way to go

I used to walk alot when i was younger so my legs are pretty damn nice if i do say so myself tons thicker than my arms also done alot of cycling when i was younger, long distance and all that, i had one of the hardest volleys in the school (when i could strike the ball right :duh:) so much so when it hit my friend in the head he blacked out for like 10 seconds

Im thinking i might get some new weights next payday i have a barbell with 35lb which is'nt really enough and i made a makeshift dumbell for using the weights from the barbell to do arm focused could do with two really but as i only have the one set of weights

16. mkb

mkb Minimodder

I've seen this advertised somewhere and just shrugged it off as one of those stupid diet programs. So you say you've tried it and it works?

Personally, I'm in the same category as you, I'm a hard gainer. I started the gym about 2yrs ago maybe, put on about 1.5 stone but i've reached a plateau and cant shift through it. I used to go to the gym at uni on and off with a guy that really knew wat he was doing and I'd say I was pretty handy in the gym. I'm still skinny but much more defined. I used to go 3 times/week for about 90 mins ea (10 min run then free weights - high weight low rep). I've cut it down to twice a week now as I play 5 hours of badminton on a Thurs night and trying to get into the gym the day after was too much to ask :p

Atm I'm taking Creatine and Optimum Nutrition's Mass Gainer after workouts. Might take a look at this p90x for the bant.

17. wst

wst Minimodder

No personal experience, but I heard GOMAD is quite good. Just remember that's a US gallon, not a UK gallon!

18. phenoptix

phenoptix What's a Dremel?

When I was really into my fitness, weights and was a protein monster I used this site more than any other for routines and dietary advice. http://www.oo-rah.com/store/gen/pt.asp it might be worth a look.

19. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

You sound very similar to me deadpixel, i.e. you probably are a true ectomorph.

I have been doing weights on and off for few years, which was wasted time, as I really had no motivation and was lazy, all it did was maybe tone me and get me used to lifting weight (which is positive I guess).

I am now following a workout plan:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-mass-building-routine-for-ectomorphs.html

Been doing couple weeks now, not following it exact, but what i feel is good for me. (i also add in forearm and abs in addition to whats there). I also use a little notepad as like a diary for the exercise I did, how much weight i am lifting for each exercise, and my actual weight, this is so I can see the improvement (if any) that is occuring, and change the workout accordingly if ncecessary.
    I don't use any machines either, free weights are the best, they work more muscle groups
    Scales wise I have not seen a difference, (but thats due to my diet which i need to improve) but I have seen slight difference visually and mentally I feel better about myself as well, which is good.

Everyone recommends different plans, but what they all seem to agree on is the diet. We need to take in a lot more calories than we currently consume, it is difficult but I am slowly increasing my calorie count.
    Unlike before I have also started taking a pre-workout shake mainly for energy to do the workout, and then a post-workout shake.
    Also sleep is important because that is when your body builds the muscle, getting more sleep during working weekdays is something i also need to work on

One thing to remember is that lot of all that crap you see in advertising is not geared towards very hard gainers like us

I get my protein from bulkpowders.co.uk, it's cheap and does the job (similar to myprotein.co.uk)

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  20. mkb

mkb Minimodder

Going to try this next week, 4 litres of milk a day is a hell of a lot though lol. I was drinking 1litre per day thinking that was quite a bit lol. Can't wait!