1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Thermalright Archon SB-E X2 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 3 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

What a brilliant performance... but it's MASSIVE!

For those who don't need the few degrees Celsius premium I'd still recommend a Corsair Hydro at a similar price point.

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Thermalright cooler reviews are boring, because the name alone says it all. They just don't produce crap, do they?

4. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Is it me or is the cooler VERY close to the back of the GPU in your photo of the 2011 rig?

Any GPU's with backplates will clash won't they?

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Great review and a great performance, but why does it have to be such an awful colour? Why can't they at least offer plain black fans if they don't want to get in to the various colour ranges?
    Even without a case with a window it would bug the hell out of me knowing that was in there.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Impressive, so aircooling isn't as dead as often said :clap:

Shame the Macho isn't in the testing list, would have been nice to see it compared to this one

Anyway, a question:
    Threy're all thumbscrews, what wrench?

7. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I think Matthew was referring to Thermalright's Pressure Vault Bracket System:

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

After having tested some AIO watercoolers I'm aswell back to good old aircooling, as a good aircooler is allmost as good and in most cases more silent actually.

Other badass-aircoolers that can compete with a Corsair H100 are the Phanteks PH-TC14PE or the Silverstone Heligon HE01 for example.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Speaking of which, why wasn't the Phanteks PH-TC14PE in the test when it is mentioned in the conclusion? I know you can't compare every cooler but it does offer better performance while offering the colour options as mentioned. If you needed to cut down the table surely we do not need to see all 3 settings for the water coolers.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2013
  10. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Bleh, not enough of a difference to make me change out my Tranquillo. I'll keep saving for a Kraken then I guess.

11. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

+1

Consistently outstanding design and build quality.

12. enciem

enciem Minimodder

I reckon horrible coloured fans have been adopted as a mark of quality in the cooler market. The fan colours and the clips they're using here look a lot like the Noctua coolers I had

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Yup, which has a thumbscrew right smack in the middle of it, firdt page, last picture. ;)

AHa, the central pressure thingy is a thumbscrew, but the plate holding it has bolts.

14. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Seriously? It's been a little while since I've needed to get into my case, and I couldn't even tell you what color fans I have in there at all, HSF or case fans.

I'm not arguing your main point, though - they are pretty heinous. Slightly better than than the weird fleshy tones of Noctua fans, but not much.

15. Kasius

Kasius Bringin' the dremolition

Even with its vast enormity it still looks smaller than my Frio, might be time to trade the ole' dog out.

16. pbryanw

pbryanw Minimodder

Ah, thought it might be too obvious. So the plate holding the new Pressure System down is what BT were on about re: the wrench - mystery solved :)

17. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Still using my IFX-14 with 2 x TY140 fans running at minimum speed. Keeps my Q9650 in the low 50's while running BF3. If I had to replace it it would be with another Thermalright product.

18. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

i have a silver arrow, so does this one slot above it or below it in terms of performance? can't really tell.
    Anyway thermalright do indeed make quality producs, but i'm going to echo others in that i don't understand why they can't just make black fans? i actually replaced the TY on my cooler with corsair SP fans just because of that.

19. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

I pick my products based on performance and not on aesthetics.

20. WALKYRIE

WALKYRIE What's a Dremel?

I agree, another awful beige fan

Tags: Add Tags