1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics bored so modded evga 570 with h40

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jizwizard, 28 Feb 2012.

1. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

as title suggests i was bored after work and i had a spare corsair h40 (yes the baby of the bunch) doing nothing. decided to strap it to one of my 570's for a laugh see what the temps would be like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not bad really. was tested on extreme burn in for 5 mins. temps platoed out at about 60c. considering with the standard cooling it hits 80c+ not bad at all. would i suggest doing this? if your on a really tight bugget yes i would as the gains are pretty good. will i be staying like this? no full watercool for me, but there are gains to be had by doing this. not bad for £30

Sloth, Picarro, Guest-44432 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bladesingerz

Bladesingerz Minimodder

Lol nicely done, I would have expected worse temps tbh

3. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

naice

4. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Rep'd for ballsiness

5. feathers

feathers Minimodder

20c drop is good for a 2 piece water loop sucking room air. My 560ti's were also hitting 80c on air and sounded awful. 45c max load in the heat of summer and 30c winter full load on liquid. Rad sits on window ledge sucking in outside air.

I will be interested to see what temps u get when u go for a full liquid loop.

6. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

so there's no pump? just the rad and tubes?

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Pump is attached to the waterblock on the H40 iirc

8. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

Any chance of any more pics showing how you attached it to the GPU?

9. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Will post up tomorrow mate. Took 5 mins lol

10. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

i want to see this as i could do something like this with my gtx 580

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Isn't it a real shame there is no standard agreed for heatsinks to allow switching to liquid. DFI made some mobos u could unscrew the top half of the heatsink and fit a waterblock. Foxconn blackops U could change the top part of the NB block to make it air, liquid or LN2.

They could agree a standard by which a GPU could be switched to liquid easily. Hybrid heatsinks. Remember the OCZ liquid cooled ram? It had air heatsink and was also a waterblock.

It's a shame because we are forced to fit rather expensive full cover waterblocks to GPU's or GPU core only blocks which usually means faffing about with mosfet and ram heatsinks.

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

And the origional Rampage Extreme had that too...

13. JoeK

JoeK Minimodder

oh, i have a h50 and the pump is massive, didn't think the h40 was that small.

14. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Aha!

[​IMG]

My old Asus Max extreme had it. The waterblock/heatsink was utter crap though.

[​IMG]

15. feathers

feathers Minimodder

Jizwizard:

It's just occured to me that the H40 you modded of course has the pump in the CPU block... It's quite a bulky block but u appear to have the original heatsink assembly on the GPU... Does the central part of the GPU heatsink detach?

16. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

Heat sink and fan have been removed, but I left the fan shroud on. Dismantled it now but will post some pics tonight on how to do this. Piece of cake to do and only took 5 mins

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

So how hot are the memory chips/mosfets getting?

18. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I own both of those boards. BTW the Formula came in 2 models. SE and Non SE. 1 had the waterblock, the other didn't.

My wallet still hurts from forking out £220 for '2GB OCZ 1600Mhz DDR3' on top of the £220 Maximus Extreme...

EDIT; On topic! Nice work Jizwizard! Have a Rep Bomb from me. ;)

19. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

I imagine you'll leave a few layers of skin if you ever touch them. This is why you really need a GPU block designed for that specific card, because unlike a CPU where everything around the CPU itslf can be cooled quite easily with case airflow and the basic heatsinks, a GPU you need direct airflow over the whole lot or it'll fry after a while.

I wish someone made an all-in-1 WC for GPU's like corsiar and Antec do for CPU's. Im not dedicated enough to build a whole WC system, but i would be seriously tempted to buy an H60-esque cooler if it had a way of cooling the memory and mosfets as well.

20. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I was lucky with my MSI 560Ti's because the air cooler they came with only cooled the GPU core. It did not touch the mosfets or ram and thus I am able to cool those parts with a 120mm fan on the side of the GPU's.

The bigger GPU's have heatsink cooling of PWM and GDDR so you would be forced to add mosfet and ram heatsinks. The mosfets can be a problem to add sinks to because they are small and a mosfet heatsink will often cover several mosfets and if they are at different heights... contact will be bad.