1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Lcd monitor vs Led monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by numanoid, 9 May 2012.

1. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Hi guys
    which is the better for gaming, im talking bog standard full HD not ips or expensive Lcd monitors just in general which is better for gaming, thinking of buying a 24" screen and have a choice of Lcd or Led
    thanks guys

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Technically they're both LCD, LED refers to the backlight not the screen :p But that's me being pedantic. I would tend to go with LED, whilst they're not super high grade LEDs I prefer the look of an LED lit screen to a CCFl lit one. Standard LCD I find give dull colours, and whilst LED isn't IPS perfect, I think it looks better.

I'd try and look at whichever ones you're considering in person. Then you can see which looks better to you. The BenQ ones are good, we used to sell them where I work. Very nice colours and brightness for a TN panel.

Fizzban likes this.
  3. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Cheers noiz, appretiate the help there bud

4. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

LED and LCD monitors are based on the same basic technology for image display, but differ in the kind of backlighting used.
    While LCD monitors use cold cathode fluorescent lamps for backlighting, LED monitors use light emitting diodes. This is the prime difference between the two display technologies. So LED monitors are in actuality, a type of LCD monitors, or an improvement over them.

LEDs offer much more gradation in intensity and a larger light wavelength spectrum, giving a truer color quality. These types of monitors offer a better dynamic contrast ratio too. So if you compare LED vs. LCD monitor for gaming and other intensive graphic applications, LED monitors are surely better choices, as they provide vivid and more lifelike colors, with better gradation.

There are two types of LED backlighting techniques used. One is RGB dynamic LED and the other one is edge LED. The former type of backlighting uses LEDs placed behind the LCD TV or monitor screens, while the latter uses LEDs placed around the monitor rim, from where light is made to diffuse behind the screen. Since LEDs are placed around the rim on edge LED monitors, they can be a lot slimmer than conventional LCDs.

LED monitors cure one of the basic problems with LCD TVs, which is the inability to display true black colors. They can produce true black hues, by switching off LEDs entirely, increasing the 'blackness' quotient of black colors, providing better contrast in the process.

One more advantage that LED monitors have over LCD ones is the power consumption factor. LED monitors require a lot less power to operate than cold cathode fluorescent lamps. This property can be attributed to the inherently low energy needs of an LED.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

in this day and age, only reason go to for cold cathode fluorescent backlight is for colour accuracy and wide gamut.

but since you don't want either of that, only want a TN panel for gaming, get a LED backlit monitor.

6. numanoid

numanoid Modder

Cheers guys, sorted now, buying an ips led monitor lol

7. noizdaemon666

Best of both worlds then :hehe:

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

which IPS? if it's got a high quality panel then it's worth going for florescent for the colour accuracy.

if it's a cheaper 23inch or smaller 6-bit panel, then LED suits it well.

9. noizdaemon666

I reckon it won't be U2410 territory or above so unlikely to get a high grade CCFL.

10. numanoid

numanoid Modder

11. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

12. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Nah it aint you being a pedant mate. People mearly associate certain terms with a whole range of products rather than understanding what's what. It is how they are marketed I suppose. I doubt many people (outside of us geeks) know that there are different screen types (tn,mva,ips ect).