1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education Anyone got advice on cat litter.

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 15 Jun 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Recently took home a rescued cat and obviously it needs to do its business. This will be indoors for a while until she is settled. Then hopefully she can go and wreak havoc on the outside world and of course take care of her toiletry needs.

I picked up a large bag of Thomas cat litter and if you will forgive the pun it is crap. I have been looking at Okoplus and Worlds Best as they both seem to get decent reviews.

Wondered if you guys with cats might be able to offer advice?

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I used to live in a council flat with my mom and day and we had two cats (rip).

My mom had some delivery set up with a girl who was stronger than she looked that would deliver it to the door. A big bag.

Just have to say, cats are the best and for you to be enjoying the company of a cat, you really have to understand you are lucky to be doing that and please put as much care as possible towards that engine of joy.

cats are awesome and only get better, our female cat seemed to have been doctored already? or was just the most misses of miss cats ever, and the male black cat we had like a puma had to be doctored.

Well done for looking after a cat, they will rewards you in ways you don't even know exist.

3. andreinuk

andreinuk Minimodder

I've got 4 of them but all from kittens.

I never bothered using cat litter as they were not going to be indoor cats. Just used soil from the garden in a litter tray to get them used to it. Just changed it regularly and never had a problem with odours from it.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I use Morrisons Anti-Bacterial Cat Litter Lightweight 8L for my kitten, seems to work fine...

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Oko is the best but a bit pricy. Use soil from the garden if the cat is going outside eventually.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

We use cheap-ass clumping cat litter from Aldi. Does the trick, and there's not much odour at all.

We tried recycled/recyclable wood/paper pulp based cat litter, but our cat did not like it. She's a fastidious little thing, which is good in that she will absolutely not to her business anywhere else than in her tray, but bad in that she will absolutely not to her business anywhere else than in her tray, even when she's been outdoors all day.

How fastidious? She once was caught short due to a bladder infection, and for the lack of a litter tray within reach, peed in one of my shoes rather than letting go on the floor.

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

In my 32 years experience, wood pellet based litter is the least stinky and relatively easy to clean up. The downside is that a decent sized piss will saturate a modest portion of litter, so it has to be completely changed most days. Personally I'd recommend changing daily whatever you use, but some litters are designed to keep a dry layer.

EDIT: This is my "crazy 8s" post. You're a seasoned geek if you get that reference.

8. Yorkie

Yorkie Minimodder

For the stupid amount of cats I have, I use Catsan and it seems to do alright.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Interesting suggestions, I think I should have been a little clearer as it is the odour I am more concerned with as the Thomas stuff does not seem to be very effective against that. It might well be that Millie will not want to go outside, I once had a cat who hated grass, so I need to sort out the cat litter issue in case she remains indoors.

As I said she is new to my home and I really got her because I have mouse problem, had killed three of the little blighters but still they came. Anyway Millie is proving to have a few odd behaviour characteristics, my partner, bless her, bought a load of toys but Millie prefers a bit of paper or a long bit of string which she will play 'fetch' with. She will fight her way behind the curtains over the window behind my monitor and sit and stare at the world, but will not go anywhere near the living room window which had a table in front of it and easily accessed. She seems to eat anything including smoked cheese spread off a wafer. And she is super friendly, loves human contact and being stroked to bits. .

10. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I use silica crystals. Absorbs the urine and desiccates the solids. People are always surprised to find out we have a cat, since they can smell her. She's indoors only and it doesn't track. Even when we had 2, it was one bag, once a month. Just scoop the poop.

Basically, it's this.

11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks, will see how the Okoplus goes then perhaps try the silica crystals if it is ineffective. And bought a pooper scooper for the solids.

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

brand totally doesnt matter - the only thing ive noticed is woodchip is better than gravel or absorbent clay stuff

The woodchip is slightly more expensive than the good gravel stuff but it doesnt smell anywhere near as bad, even the odour capture gravels smell awful compared with the woodchip

think we pay about £10 per 15kg bag

Just a note of caution though do not overfill the box with woodchip as it waste it. Any water contact causes the pellets to puff up and become useless.

13. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The price seems reasonable so will add woodchip to the stuff to try.

I took her out into the back garden today as we have a rare sighting of the sun up here in Edinburgh. She was not impressed and only stayed a couple of minutes.