1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cyclohexane, 30 Jul 2011.

1. Cyclohexane

Cyclohexane What's a Dremel?

So this is probably a stupid question, but, I've got this case and PSU:
    Fractal Design Define R3 Black Pearl Case
    Corsair Professional Series AX850

The PSU is located in the bottom of this case. In all my previous builds it has been at the top. Should the fan on the PSU be facing up into the case or down into the floor vent? Going by the label writing being the right way up it should be facing down, but the fan was always pointing into the case when the PSU's were at the top of the case.

Thanks!

2. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

Towards the floor. It's arranged so that the PSU pulls air from outside and dumps it straight back outside again.

3. Haawkz

Haawkz What's a Dremel?

Yes, facing so the fan is towards the floor.

4. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

In all honesty dude with such a quality PSU as the AX 850, it makes MINIMAL difference, if I had your case I would put it with the fan pointing up, so it's drawing air from inside the case, it may be warm air, but that psu's (so I've heard) fan doesn't even spin when the computer's at idle, oh and the reason I would put the psu like that, is just because, to me it looks better, but yeah basically put it whichever way you like :)

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Just remember if it's facing up, cover it if your screwing stuff, as it'd be a nightmare to drop a screw into it...

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Face down. there is a space at the bottom. The PSU does not touch flush at the bottom. It's well designed, so you don't should not worry. The only time you should worry is if your hot a 10$ one, or those that comes with a free case. These one are crazy hot, in fact usually doesn't even come to the mentioned rating.

Beside, with this PSU, the fan only kicks in when you play a game.... it's THAT efficient (I have the AX750, and like yours, it is at the bottom of the case.)

7. Cyclohexane

Cyclohexane What's a Dremel?

Many thanks to all for your replies. I've got another couple of "stupid" questions now but they're not related to the PSU so I'll start another thread.