1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards ZIF Connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buzzons, 1 Aug 2011.

1. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

So...

A mate has managed to lose a ZIF connector on their laptop (Connecting the keyboard to the motherboard) and even though i've spent all evening searching I can't find a shop that sells them. It's a Virgin Media Freedom netbook (rebranded Zoostorm 10.1) that uses THIS keyboard.

It seems to be ~1-1.2" inches long so the 1.8" ZIF connectors are too large.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

2. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Those keyboards usually just plug straight into the board?

3. grritsshawn

grritsshawn I'm not insane I'm a modder

to start ask him how the hell he lost it and where!!!. and its a net book so just toss it out

4. techhead

techhead Minimodder

zoostorm did use mitac chaissis when i worked for them .but now they may have change surplier

5. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

The keyboard deffo has a ZIF connector on it, and someone F**** moved the laptop when it was in bits and didn't think to check for small parts.

6. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

The connectors I'm used to have the connector itself on the motherboard, and the keyboard just has a thin plastic-y film with the traces on. Plastic goes into connector, connector locks on, job done. Are you sure there was another part involved?

7. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

yes, it's a zif connector.. the top plastic part of the zif connector fell off and is now lost. Hence, i need to find a zif connector for sale to get the plastic bit off it :)

8. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

Isn't that plastic hinge bit just to lock and apply pressure to the ribbon? If so you could probably make one out of something random. A few pieces of paper layered for thickness just taped down over it?

9. Kemp

Kemp Minimodder

It has to lock down pretty tight though, the inserted plastic is relatively stiff (compared to paper, say), so if it's trying to straighten out or if something nearby pushes on it then it'll slip out of the connector rather than give way.

10. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

I think a wide enough strip of selotape would hold the connector in place. Once the keyboard has been put back on I think it would be fine. If you want to find a new zif connector, look for an adapter from ZIF to IDE or something like that. I can see some online for less than £10.