1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Smartphones outsell feature phones for first time

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 12 Sep 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Even my mother has a smartphone, and she hates mobile phones... using touch screen was the best thing that could happen to a phone :D

3. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

I have a feature phone, as I can not afford a smart phone :(

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I use a "feature Phone" regularly due to high cost of using the smartphone here in Germany.
    Also, use of the internet connection is not covered by usual "pre-paid" conditions here.
    So people buy a Phone, load up 10€, use the net and get a bill over 1000€.
    Legislation is slowly changing though, so we might get some interesting tariffs.

Also, roaming is ridiculously expensive.

5. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Work provide me with a cheap nasty Nokia that does calls and txt. in monochrome...

What else do I need ?

dunx

6. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

honestly my new smartphone (issued by the office) based on android, was better as a GPS device than the old handheld unit we had, and actually helped us better on our long range radio communications on getting the damn things aligned, and I couldn't ever think before that I would find such an awesome use for a smartphone,lol

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

no, it isn't. the keyboard on phones is much more practical. keyboards are so much faster to use, so much more responsive, and neither the keyboard nor your fingers get in the way of the screen. touch screens are good for navigation but otherwise they're just gimmicky and inefficient.

8. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

In your opinion.

I would say a capacitative touchscreen allows a user to type faster than on a mechanical keyboard simply by virtue of little to no resistance when registering the keypress.

9. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

I use a smartphone on PASYG because thats all I need, I could do with a simple phone , calls and text, plus a decent camera, but I cannot find one foe PASYG

10. Taffy

Taffy Folding for Margaret 17/3/2011 RIP

OOps that should read a simple Nokia NOT a smartphone

11. Xir

Xir Modder

Are there any smartphones out there that have a decent standby-and-call time?
    Like a week standbytime@10 mins calls a day and some texts?

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I sit in front of a computer at work all day and have one in almost every room of my house - I have not found any need for a smart phone. Besides that, Canada has some of the highest cost plans in the world (link1) (link 2). I'm not giving those greedy people any more money than I have to.

Occasionally I'd like to be able to look something up while on the road or in a restaurant but I can live with a bit of delay in looking up things - especially since waiting just a little is a lot more cost effective.

Last edited: 12 Sep 2011
  13. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

I have an LG Optimus GT540 and pay £10 a month for 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

Giff Gaff rock.

14. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

Probably because Stephen Elop (CEO of Nokia - previously the biggest feature, and smart, phone maker) is doing everything he can to stop people buying Nokia phones. Since really Nokia were the only people who still made feature phones and now no-one makes featurephones anymore nobody can buy them.

15. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

She hated the buttons, she's very old, and using the touchscreen she can even send me messages, something that she didn't care about when she had old phones.

It's easier to use than old phones...

16. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Where did all these smartphone-hating luddites suddenly crawled from?

Go back to burning looms or something, this site is for tech enthusiasts.

17. malcolm

malcolm What's a Dremel?

Nah, no tactile feedback is crap.

Same, and the answer is of course nothing.

Which is totally negated by actually having to look every time you try and press a virtual button to see if it worked. Tactile feedback > touch screen buttons every time a coconut. Shouldn't be too long before touch screens with tactile feedback get here though.

No. I think my 1 yo Nokia still does 10 days though.

Ah huh... I'm guessing you're probably a pron enthusiast, but I bet you're not into interracial goat pron?

You can be enthusiastic about some techs and not others.

FWIW I have had them since things like the PPC2002 HTCs, as we develop for them. For their primary purpose they're all just varying degrees of crap compared to the trusty do nothing Nokia. For everything else I use a little foresight about my day, a netbook, and a life.

18. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

My Droid Bionic approves of this message :) I got it on launch day and have been happy since. Before that I had the OG Droid and the performance was night and day.

19. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

ive got a "feature" phone...if you can call it that. its a pay-as-you-go no-contract motorola with basic text and calls. the only thing i wish it had was T9...as typing out every letter on a 10-key is a bit time consuming.

20. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Which I don't have a problem and isn't an issue for many people that I know.

It sounds like you're justifying your own inability to type fluidly on a touchscreen as a problem with the hardware as a whole.

I don't like mechanical keyboards but I'm not about to dress it up as anything other than personal preference.

Last edited: 13 Sep 2011