1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU PSU compatible?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by imperium, 17 Dec 2012.

1. imperium

imperium What's a Dremel?

Hi folks,

Just browsing the forums and it seems everyone is pretty clued-up tech wise and was wondering if I could ask a question.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to PC hardware (and not having the knowledge to build one) recently purchased a new PC: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GINGER6-F...B-WINDOWS-7-GAMING-COMPUTER-PC-/200845435724?

I've noticed the PSU is 500w and was wondering if this is enough? I was perusing amazon and saw a Corsair AX850 and was wondering if it would be compatible with the above PC or whether there would be a small and ungratifying bang if I tried to install it?

Do you think I will also require a cooling system?

Thankyou kindly for reading.

2. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

It looks to me like you should be ok with that setup, however, I think you will be running in the upper end of your power supply's operating capacity. Just the GPU and CPU will be about 400-ish watts. If you want to overclock at all, I would recommend going for the corsair, or something similar, like a seasonic, which is, like corsair, a very well regarded brand. Also, if you plan on upgrading anything, I would recommend a higher capacity power supply.

-Side Note: Modular power supplies are awesome!

Also, as for your question about whether or not the power supply will be compatible; Any mainstream desktop power supply will be compatible with a computer, the only issue that you would have would be if you don't have enough power. All of the connectors are keyed (and usually labeled) so that only the right cable will fit into any given connectors.

3. Sutters

Sutters Silent lurker!

Have a look here - PSU calculator
    Will give you a rough idea of what kind of power you need.

4. imperium

Cheers, guys! :thumb:

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Just adding in, they say they come with XFX pro series psu's. Pretty sure the XFX psu's are just re-branded Seasonic psu's, if that's true than they should be quality units.

6. TeenGeek

TeenGeek Worst touch typing ever.

^yeah, I am pretty sure they are as well, I think I heard that somewhere, and both mine (a seasonic) and the xfx ones should have a little hybrid fan swith on them, which means that the fan in the PSU won't even power up until it is at about 40% capacity.

7. imperium

Thanks again, guys!:)