1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Using an Xbox 360 connect to track head movements in games?

Discussion in 'Software' started by adzc1987, 7 Apr 2013.

1. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Question is in the title really, specifically i would like to do this in Arma 2, has anyone heard of anyway to do this?

2. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

There was a head tracking software thing for Flight Simulator X, it used a couple of IR LED's attached to a baseball cap. Those were tracked by a simple web cam; there must be something better by now.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The issue with the Kinect sensor is it's designed to capture someone stood up, stood a metre or so away. There was supposed to be a PC version to go with the SDK which was adjusted for close-up tracking.

But as Steveo_mcg pointed out head-tracking things have been around a while so there must be something that fits the bill.

4. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

there is its called track IR, but i dont want to but it when i already have one :S

Apparently someone developed one that can use a regular webcam, afaik there is a way of turning the kinetic into one

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

there is a Kinect for windows, that allows you to use the separately downloadable sdk.

in the new sdk, there is a 3d scan capability :) , it has face tracking as well

the xbox Kinect is no longer licensed for use on a pc

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

oops double post

Last edited: 8 Apr 2013
  7. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

Actually it still works, installing the newest SDK for the Kinect (1.7) i can get it to work as a camera via the SDK no problem.

I managed to find a program by some guy which can turn the kinect into an actual webcam. Using a program i was shown from the Bohemia Forums i managed to get the webcam tracking software working in game :) i just need to adjust camera postion etc. :clap:

Ill post full details when im home.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it may work, but the license prohibits the use of the xbox Kinect.

9. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

I have managed to get something to work here (copying from my arma clan forums)

"Ok here goes as a guide.

Using an Xbox 360 Kinect (do not connect to comp until told.) If you want to use a regular webcam go to step 7.
    1. Make sure you have the correct Kinect, you need to have the power adaptor that looks a bit like this to be able to plug it into a PC.
    2. Download the SDK and Tool Kit for Kinect from Windows and install.
    3. Now plug in the kinect, windows should install all the drivers (may take few mins)
    4. Test the kinect, start the "Developer Toolkit Browser" this will be in your start menu under SDK For kinect.
    5. Goto the tools and run one of the Kinect Explorers (not the studio) this will let you see if its working and adjust the angle of the camera.
    6. close it all down and install this this is what will allow the Kinect to be used as a webcam. You will probably need to restart the comp first and it normally starts by default on startup.

7. Now that you have a webcam goto this nifty wee thing you also need this the demo will do and i just put bollocks in the name address etc
    8. Now start your webcam, launch Facetracker demo, you will see how it works here. Then when ready start the FaceTrackNoIR, from this you can adjust all sorts of settings.
    9. Testing- Click start on the FaceTrackNoIR, you should see a little picture of your self with the facial tracking. Start Arma and just create a editor with a single man. Once in game you can goto options, controls, and controllers you will see 2 regarding a joystick controller already enabled. Enable the one called Track IR, the Freetrack dont seem to work well.
    Start a Mission and mess around!"

Tags: