1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable What Android Tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spraduke, 23 Jan 2015.

1. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Simple question. If you were going buy an android tablet today, what would you get?

Not sure what I should buy. Only real requirement is to be able to play Hearthstone.

2. flame696

flame696 Terminating People Since 1980....

What size tablet are you looking to get? 7,8,10 or 12 inch?

3. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Minimodder

You've not really listed much info but I came across this today.

http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/xperia-tablet-z/sgp611-sgp612-sgp621

I own the Z1 compact phone and it is the best phone I've ever had to use.

From the phone I get 2-4 days battery life depending on how many calls I make etc.

The screen is great and whenever it gets dirty I just stick it under the tap :jawdrop:

The walkman app is great as well. The sound quality is actually better than that of my iPod.

Theres an independant review of it here:
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/sony-xperia-z3-tablet-compact-1263326/review

Alternatively you could always get the Nexus 7 from amazon, great product although it is discontinued now.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00EANTELE?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

For a 9inch device there is always the Nexus 9 although in my opinon it is overpriced:
    https://www.google.co.uk/nexus/9/

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Not fixed on any size in particular, probably max of 10" as I hope to use it when travelling with work. Quite like the idea of a nexus so as to avoid manufacturer software but not quite convinced that the nexus 9 is value for money.

5. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The Samsung Tab S 8.4 is the one I went with, as the screen is miles better than the Nexus 9 and it's more solidly built too. The disadvantage is Touchwiz, which I hate, but it's mostly mitigated by using Google's own launcher instead of the Samsung one.

I'd look at the new Dell too, the Venue 8 7000. Same screen as the Samsung (pretty sure it's exactly the same panel) but really nice design and an aluminium body.

The Nexus 7, IMO, is very old hat now. Looks very dated sat next to a newer tablet, in terms of screen size, brightness, contrast etc.

6. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Just went and had a quick play with some. The Samsung inbuilt speakers sounded like a tin can in the shop (and not front facing). The Sony z2 definitely sounds nicer and the waterproof side is kind of nice. Need to get hands on with the nexus 9

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

To be honest, for the price, you can't go far wrong with the Tesco Hudl2.

8. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

Has anyone got the shield tablet. Looks well priced for the specs. Not too fussed by all the gaming features but if it's a good tablet for normal use to it might be an option.

9. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

I own the Hudl2 from Tesco and it is fantastic - 1080 screen is beautiful, the quad core Atom CPU is speedy, the only negative is the speakers (which are dolby optimized and actually sound really good) are facing backwards which muffles the sound somewhat, and the battery life is a bit on the low side. But for the price it can not be beaten.