1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Alienware M17x Gaming Laptop Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

Loving that the GTX 260M is secretly a 8800GT, nice rebranding by nvidia. Oh and you should've done a Street Fighter 4 benchmark! It's in the screenshots and I bet it could have achieved 60fps in that.

3. droitwichdosser

droitwichdosser What's a Dremel?

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit...

Vista... It comes with Vista!?

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

This refers to the O/S the laptop was tested with. Obviously as 7 is out now, Alienware will be selling it with that instead.

5. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Lol....

£2000 for the privelege of running Crysis at 20fps.....

'More money than sense'....comes to mind, if you buy one of these.

6. Radical_Monkey

Radical_Monkey Dremel > Lightsabre

Perhaps but you have to admit it looks damn sexy, reminds me of that new Lamborghini Murcielago or the F-22 Raptor

7. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

The link to the CustomPC benchmarks goes to the bit-tech.net homepage, with a little CustomPC announcement box. Not to a download.

Just thought I'd let you know.

8. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Already seen the custom pc review of this a while back. Personally i don't see the point in these types of laptops and for the price i would rather get a i7 desktop rig and then with the change get the new i7 dell studio 15 or something for on the move. Though i guess the alienware looks cool in the asthetics department.

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Why-o-why havn't we seen more 'gaming' laptops with the mobility HD48xx series GPUS?

The HD4850m in my Advent 6555 is superior to the GPU in this laptop yet I paid under £950 for the entire laptop. My screen resolution is lower but, crucially, as its a gaming laptop with a relatively underpowered gpu (by desktop standards) it actually makes sense (as games like Crysis are playable with decent detail settings).

The Alienware looks ok (although its considerably fatter than my MSI based Advent) but the price is just ridiculous.

10. duc

duc What's a Dremel?

Just shy of £2000 you should at least expect to have Ultimate rather than Home Premium

I think more Audi R8

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

"HDD: 2 x 7,200rpm Seagate Momentus 7200.4 (in RAID 0)"

Is that an error or am i reading it wrong ?

Laptop looks a bit too square for me.

12. putiikki

putiikki What's a Dremel?

"The power brick is enormous. Click to enlarge"
    :D

13. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Cheers, changed the URL.

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I hardly see the worth or the point.

15. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

I don't see the point either, but perhaps the tests was a little few... I mean crysis is a sucker for power on any system, how about testing left 4 dead 2 (or 1 since the demo of 2 is delayed until oblivion), counterstrike source, red alert 3 and similar games people will actually play. I mean, nobody EVER bought a laptop to play crysis? (Edit: and testing crysis on this machine doesnt give a clear picture of what power this machine has, test nfs:shift and some never titles)

16. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

excuse me i dont want to waste cash on a OLD graphics card the 260M is just a renamed 9800 GTX series that is also a renamed 8800 GTX series :p

Geforce GTX 260M = not a GT200 chip
    Geforce GTX 280M = not a GT200 chip

17. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I hate to be the one to do this but why oh why do you give the custom pc benchmark scores in points? It's just completely useless in my opinion and doesn't give an indication how much better at something one piece of hardware is, I used to love bit-techs hardware reviews and could never say a bad word but this is happening a lot more often and just doesn't give an idea of real world performance. I know this is marketed at a gaming laptop and IMO the gaming benchmarks were fine but giving stuff like points for video encoding, image editing and multitasking just seems completely useless to me :(

Benchmarks with points aren't a good way to show performance, look at 3DMark, just because one card scores higher than the other doesn't mean it's gonna perform better so I always skip those parts of reviews. I get the feeling I'm gonna end up skipping parts of upcoming reviews if it's always like this T_T

18. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Yup they are all G92 based, hence my post above querying why we don't see more of the HD48XXm series in these class laptops.

Of course I could go into how retarted the mobile lineup is from nVidia but I can't be bothered.

All I will say is:

9800mGT - 96 shaders
    9800mGTS - 64 shaders

19. wiak

wiak What's a Dremel?

there are many laptops with Moblity HD 4800 series cards, just that some OEMs are just stupid to put old tech (or got paid)

20. jake9891

jake9891 Loves Internet Shopping

One thing, why Vista??

Tags: Add Tags