1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Is Red Dead Redemption the best sandbox ever?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Warrior24_7, 22 May 2010.

1. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

Is Read Dead Redemption the best open-world game ever made? If unanimous critical and public praise is to be believed, it probably is.

Rockstar's very excellent Western has so far managed a stunning Metacritic score of 95 on Xbox 360, not only putting it above other big-hitting sandbox games such as Red Faction: Guerrilla (85), both Saints Rows (81, 82), both GTA IV episodes (89, 90), Crackdown (83) and PS3 exclusive InFamous (85).

Admittedly, Red Dead hasn't quite made it up to GTA IV's heights yet (98) after - to be fair - just one day of reviews, but it seems to be the opinion of CVG's man that the Western sandbox takes the crown.

"In a way, Red Dead Redemption works better than GTA because it's based on naturally sparser environments," reads our Red Dead Redemption review. "Niko Bellic was constantly bombarded with stressful, urgent urban surroundings. John Marston roams in simpler times, which house simpler lives.

"In a densely populated modern day metropolis, the limitations of the AI are exposed - simply because there are so many more examples of them.

"Red Dead Redemption may not necessarily be a technological leap when it comes to imitating a working society, then. But this is the Wild West; where cowboys hunched on bar stools playing five finger fillet or outlaws watching the world go by on a terrace are all that's needed to create a really authentic and believable world."

The game's already out in the States and lands in Europe this Friday. Are there any Americans or early copy-snatchers among us who'd like to share an opinion?

*snip*

It recieved a 97 from IGN. This is the sleeper hit of the year so far. Who would've thought, a "western" could even be good let alone great?!! The game is selling better than every big title released so far this year including Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy XIII, and Battlefield and other big time 2010 releases. I picked this up and was surpised. This is definitely a game to check out.

Bindi Edit: Please dont report this thread any more! It's only being left open because of the continued and much better discussion further down the page

Last edited by a moderator: 22 May 2010
  2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Is Warrior24_7 Bit-Tech's biggest troll ever?

Having seen several of your posts before, let me read between the lines here and spell out for everybody what you're trying to say:

CONSOLITES LIKE RED DEAD REDEMPTION, BUT IT'S NOT YET AVAILABLE ON PC.

Is it really as good as the console players are making out? Or are they simply grateful for a merely-OK game that shines like a diamond in the goat's arse of Madden titles? Hopefully, this game will shortly be released for PC (like other Rockstar games like GTA: IV) so we can judge for ourselves.

We done here? Oh, except obviously Mankz is BiT's biggest troll. Hard luck!

3. Edge102030

Edge102030 Son, i am disappoint.

+rep for making me laugh :D.

4. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Solid 8/10 on Eurogamer who I trust a huge amount, so probably not the best thing since sliced GTA bread. I'll recommend to a more cash-splashing friend and borrow it when he gets bored after 3hrs, like I do with most new games :lol:

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I'm actually stating to think Warrior works for CVG. Because all of his posts are just links to news articles on that site. It's actually bordering on spam at the moment. If you're going to post a new topic, at least put the effort into discussing it instead of just copying and pasting the article with a link and never come back. What do you intend to gain from that?

If I wanted to read CVG, I would. But I don't want their articles clogging up the gaming forum when I'm trying to browse for interesting topics. I've added Warrior to my ignore list, but his threads still show up. Is there any way I can make them invisible? What else can I do? Please help.

6. Warrior24_7

Warrior24_7 What's a Dremel?

I see that I'm being "censored"...again. I'm being called a "troll" (like that actually matters), but have to put up with constant "trolling"... from the same people. Since the mods don't have the balls to say it, I will. THIS THREAD IS CLEARLY, CLEARLY, MARKED XBOX 360. THE XBOX 360 IS A CONSOLE, THE GAME RED DEAD REDEMPTION IS AN XBOX 360/PS3 GAME. SOOOO, IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE GAME, OR DON'T LIKE CONSOLES, DON'T RESPOND! Now I figured a few of you to be dumb as door knobs already (but damn), so if you "NEED HELP" in "NOT RESPONDING", OR "IGNORING", then simply do this.

Step 1. Find a thread clearly marked Xbox 360, PS3, or Warrior24_7
    Step 2. Make sure the thread is clearly visible on you're 15" monitor.
    Step 3. Now turn and face the nearest wall.
    Step 4. Bend neck slightly so that you can see your toes. If you "can't" see your toes, or groin area (you know who you are) then look back up at the wall.
    Step 5. Do nothing else.
    Step 6. You are now ignoring!

I hope this helps. Good day!!

Last edited: 23 May 2010
  7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Regardless of the subject or thread marking, your mannerism is offensive, arrogant, rude and insulting.

until you learn to behave like a normal human being and talk to other forum users on an equal level then you will never earn thier respect.

you've got a lot of work ahead of you to make up for being an arse. I suggest you start with your next post.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Erm, so you didn't explain why you decided to post a new topic (along with several others) which was mere copypasta from another site, instead of posting in one of the existing threads. Do you not understand forum etiquette? Or do you just want attention?

9. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

OK, fed up with this now.

Aren't you all glad you worked out what the report button's for.

Gunsmith and smc8788 like this.
  10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Gunsmith likes this.
  11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

12. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

*Dances*

:lol:

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am not interested at all by this game regardless of the platform it's on. When i first saw the commercial it didn't even tell me what kind of freaking game it was besides the far west part. There was no way of knowing if it's an FPS, an RTS, a TPS, an RPG or whatever. How the hell am I supposed to be interested in a game if I don't even know what it is ?!?!?!

14. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I have it on PS3...I'd have preferred a PC version, but I'm sure that will come in time, better looking than ever before. I did the same with GTA4 - played it on the PS3 first then bought it again on the PC. So far so good, but I haven't had much time to play it yet.

15. October

October Mariachi Style

I just noticed warrior is unreppable... I lold :hehe:

And yes, forgetting about your previous trolling, if you want to actually start a proper discussion that goes somewhere useful, come up with the content yourself.

Edit: guess I'm a little late to the party... And unreppable = banned :duh:

Last edited: 23 May 2010
  16. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Same could be said of the GTA ads, even more so for the GTA ads actually.

17. ripmax

ripmax Minimodder

It might be the best 360/PS3 sandbox game, but Garrys Mod (PC) will always be the best.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Uhh Gmod is not a sandbox game, it's a sandbox, period. Apples to oranges really.

19. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Yes of course.What I said actually applies to the majority of video game commercials and game trailers

20. October

October Mariachi Style

I think with a lot of advertised games being sequels these days, ad watchers are expected to know a lot about any given game already. Or in Red Dead's case, you know the developers style.