1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU What do I need to claim warranty of cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 7 Mar 2017.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

If I buy CPU on ebay, used, no box etc but something happens to it - can I claim warranty directly with Intel?

Using this FPO number?
    Would I need initial proof of purchase?

2. Bazz

Bazz Multimodder

Intel will only honour the original owner, if its a retail product 3 years, OEM is with the seller.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Damit!

OK, thanks for confirming this, I was worried this is the case:duh:

Back to shopping then...

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Intel will honour the warranty of 'Retail' chips with the details from the chip only, you do not need the original receipt or to be the original owner. This is not the case with chips sold as 'OEM'.

5. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Right, I typed this FPO number of the chip on Intel website and it said it is 3 year retail.
    Does it mean if I buy it and sth happens they won't ask where I got it from?

6. TeleKomune1

TeleKomune1 What's a Dremel?

I mean they'll ask where you got it from, but you know ;)

7. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

They have never asked me where I got my CPUs from. It's in warranty, so it shouldn't be questioned. Try to talk to them through the live chat and see where you end up.

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Has anyone ever in history needed to claim against a CPU warranty, other than DOA?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Once, back in Slot 1 days.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I've claimed a 2500k at one point (duff memory channel).

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Just so you know the FPO number they go off for the theoretical warranty also shows up some OEM chips as being in warranty... to the extent they will send you a returns courier FOC.

Even if they don't ask for the heatsink serial to confirm the item is retail they then check the ATPO serial which you need a magnifying glass/microscope to read on some later CPU's. This can then reveal your "retail" chip by FPO number as a OEM.

Ask me how I know this :miffed:

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yep it happens very often in benching circles. There was a guy on OCN (iirc) who bought a 5960X and had it replaced two or three times under warranty because he kept killing it during bench runs. Beats me how he managed to explain that one to Intel, but my guess is that it died within safe voltage spec.

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Intel offer an extra warranty for that.

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Interesting.

I always had a CPU pegged as something where if it works out of the box, it's almost certainly going to work until the end of time, barring blatant abuse.

15. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I had to send a 6700 back to get a replacement - original would boot into BIOS, all temps, cores and voltages were as to be expected, but as soon as I tried to install Windows - infinite boot loop.

But aside from that, CPU's have always been plug'n'play for me too.

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Yeah I remember when that was introduced, but the guy I'm talking about had his chip replaced under the standard warranty, much to everyone's bewilderment.

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

That's probably largely true baring the odd exception. It certainly the last place I expect or look for a failure. I think it's basically because the manufacturing tolerances are necessarily ridiculously tight and it is a discrete first party component.

18. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

He had it replaced under standard warranty because there's no way for them to know it was abused. Your warranty being voided by an overclock is a complete lie. ;)

If you tell them it's unstable and needing more voltage at stock to work or even that you've swapped it out with another processor, you've pretty much got yourself an instant RMA. That is of course if it is still in warranty...

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I suppose the reason they are fairly generous with warranties is that the actual cost of manufacture doesn't make for a particularly large portion of the value of the processor, so as long as you send back the dodgy as proof it doesn't actually cost them too much to replace like for like.
    Combine that with the rarity of failures and they're probably better off keeping customers happy and on side in future.

20. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hmmm.. there is one 7500 on ebay and guys says it's box version however selling without one.
    When used its FPO on Intel's side it showed that it should be boxed...