1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Boss or "The Boss"

Discussion in 'Serious' started by C-Sniper, 4 Feb 2012.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

This is an interesting question that I have for many members of the forum. I am keeping this in SD since it has the chance to be "stop being a *****" type thread.

Tonight I was at a dive bar with my friends dancing and having a good time. All my friends, except for me, end up dancing and making out with a couple girls. I danced with a couple that I knew and 1 that I didn't and nothing happened.

The one thing that was different tonight was that I realized that I prefer being in charge from a distance without anyone knowing who I am or who I am with (except for the friends of course) and just acting like a lone spectator. Pretty much the less the people know about me the better. So instead of being "The Boss" on the dancefloor, I make sure that everyone gets home safe and that if there is an altercation; I can quickly cool off my friends or break up the ensuing altercation. I have never been one to meet and greet with random girls at the bar or club and have never been one to ever get a number other than someone I was either A) truly interested in or B) could see a potential business/academic gain for myself in the future with.

So now I am wondering how you like to be? Do you prefer to be in control of the situation from afar, getting tipsy but not drunk to ensure a safe night; or are you the one who goes all out and knows that someone will make sure that you get home safe at night?

And also why for each one...

Just curious.

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

If I'm out with my sister, and only my sister, I can go all out because shes very responsible and more than happy to look out for me.

If not, I'm the one handling things and being careful.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Congratulations. Your aptitude and personality test reveals that you are most suited to a career in social, health, policing or emergency services or the helping professions. You also would make an excellent manager. :)

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Unfortunately I have chosen the path of engineering. So Nexxo, what about you? Who are you in these type situations?

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Coincidentally, there was a story on NPR just the other day about the introvert personality. I don't know how much weight the introvert/extrovert personality types carry within the psychology community, but one of the themes of the article (and the book on which the article is based) seems to follow what Nexxo was saying about your aptitude for management.

Given what I learned in the article, combined with all the personality-type stuff I've been fed over the years, I would say I lean heavily toward the introvert end of the scale.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I suspect most of us on these forums do. We're geeks. :)

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Simple. I go to places where there's no music, no girls who want to dance with me (don't need it, got a girlfriend already), and where I know enough of the staff and all the bouncers so that fights for me or my friends aren't a concern.

Getting drunk the point of not being able to get home is just lame, and I say that as a Scot who's serious about (read: dedicated to) his booze. I'll quite happily go well beyond tipsy though. Gotta let your hair down sometimes.

8. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

Never dance (can't), never get more than tipsy, have a hard time opening up to people (weird), trusts very few people(leery), actually enjoys serious talks (boring), and generally way too kind as I have a tendency to help everyone else but me (friend zone).

Yea I am weird, nice guy that never get a girl.

Did I miss something :wallbash:

9. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Don't worry. I have similar personality traits, but I'm married with a child. The key is hanging out with like-minded people - there are bound to be women there (as opposed to there being bound women, not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive).

10. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Everything your not makes you everything you are.

Concentrate on doing what makes you happy. Be yourself, have fun and the rest will take care of itself.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I take care of my friends more often than they need to look after me. I don't think I've ever had problems getting home from bar, so I guess I know my limits despite being a heavy drinker.

I've also stopped caring too much what the others think and how crap the music is and just enjoy myself. Next step will be to learn how to communicate with all the lovely girls without actually hearing what they say in the first place :duh:

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I used to like to drink but when you have a tolerance.. noone really knows

hard to say anymore.. lately I've lost my sense of humor.. I think I'm regaining it though when I saw supermonkey's avatar- that image of him on the couch checking his watch after getting a face full (ass to mouth resuscitation) popped into my head- there's hope yet

http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn....why-there-are-so-many-drunk-brits-on-facebook

13. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

I adapt, that's pretty much it. Generally I don't get out a lot much anymore but when I do I just go with whatever the situation is as it arises. Overall I tend to be quiet and confident and will engage anyone who I think will provide a pleasant conversation. Sounds a bit boring but hasn't failed me yet for a nice night. The main reason for being that way was, I think, so that I didn't miss anything which was going on and, not exactly making sure that everyone got home safely, but whilst everyone is out together I was always sure to be sober enough in case anything kicked off (t'was a rough town).

As far as the ladies go, I haven't has cause to put my skills to the test for many years and foresee no reason to anytime soon since I'm very happy with my fiancé. I was rather successful in my day though, even if I'm having a great deal of trouble remembering how or why. Primarily I just wasn't afraid to look like a tit for their benefit, the amount of women I've pulled because I know a lot of the stupid cheesy dances (e.g. Summer Lovin' from Grease no one will ever let me forget that now *sigh*). If you're up dancing with them and all the other guys are sat at tables or standing at the bar then 90% of the work is done. I'm really struggling to remember other than that though, apart from having quite stupendous hair :rock: and a couple of decent magic tricks :lol: I'm serious about that by the way.

Go back 10 years it felt awesome to be able to almost guarantee some action every weekend, now it feels awesome to have one person with whom I have almost everything in common. It's funny how things change, huh.

14. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I can be either really, but I never get really drunk as I don't like to not be in control of myself and possible situations. But I'll gladly be a 'Bouse' on the dancefloor. Luckily I have a diamond of a missus, so girl attention is only superficial for me, and it's just about having a prat about with mates.

Saying that I haven't been out on a night out for quite a long time due to being a working professional and being incredibly boring now! :lol:

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

thehippoz, I'm not really sure why you continue to target me like that, but I think you might have taken it a little far this time. Just sayin'.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

thehippoz, I'm not sure what your issue is with Supermonkey, but this is going too far.

Take a break for a week to think about it.

17. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Very much the quiet one in the background. Never been to a bar/club (just turned 21) but at house parties, assuming I even go in the first place, you'll find me relaxing somewhere quiet sipping on a soda. Most of the time I take things a step further: don't go out in the first place. No worries about getting home safe when you're already there, afterall. Maybe that's squandering my prime years, but it's not likely to change.

Definitely an introvert according to their quick test, and according to all other tests of varying intensity. What really caught my eye about article, though, was the distinction between being introverted and shy. I'm very shy. Most of these tests and quizzes have the "do you prefer to work in groups or one on one?" question. To be honest, both sound terrifying. It's this aspect which I always feel is left out. Might have to toss that book on my wishlist.

18. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

This has always been an interesting topic for me. I'm definitely a guy who prefers a pub with some mates and a good bit of chat/banter over a club with music so loud I can't hear for days. I'm not a dancer really...

I suspect that my musicality has something to do with my introverted personality aside from personal history, and if that quick quiz is anything to go by! The phrase 'personal prayer and private practice' has always been a favourite way of describing the way I feel in a lot of situations, especially as music practice for me is intensely personal and private! When the need arises, however I can be more extrovert, though it usually drains me completely when I get home.

I'd love to do another personality/aptitude test sometime and see how different the result is to the last one I did in 2008. :)

19. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm definitely an introvert but somehow I seem to spend a good portion of my time talking about the most mundane things.

20. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

It does depend on my mood, as to what I'll do and where I'll go, but basically I'm:

Introvert(slight) iNtuitive(s) Feeling(distinctive) Perceiving(d) (as in Myers-Briggs)

But you change over time, I used to be an INTP.

(Make of that what you will, Nexxo ;))