1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Steam Controller... Should I throw in the towel?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IamJudd, 11 Nov 2015.

1. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I'm just wondering whether to keep trying with it. Have not touched my PC recently because the controller just doesn't feel right to me and I don't have the time to team through the different options available!

What are other people's experience with it? Trying to use the right track pad as mouse look is too disjointed for me...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Ian

2. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

what games are you using it with? have you tried downloading some community made profiles for said game?

3. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

I have... Tried Alien Isolation (default or community), hit man and ark survival. GTA, custom... They all leave me feeling "meh"

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Prefer the Xbox controller it's just simply a lot better.

Has better feel on the buttons makes it a lot easier to use.

5. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I'm all for the 360 controller. I love PC gaming but can't cope with keyboard and mouse after years of console gaming (heresy, I know).

Having said that, I'm digging out my older stuff like Far Cry 1 so might have to relearn K/M if it doesn't support the 360 pad.

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

I don't know for how long you've been trying out the Steam controller, and I don't have one myself, but don't forget that an entirely new control scheme takes a while getting used to. I'm sure you didn't become a pro at playing with a regular controller or mouse and keyboard right away, or even in a few weeks.

I say give it another shot. Have you tried playing an RTS or grand strategy game or [any game where regular controllers just don't work] yet?

7. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I got mine earlier this week and have been playing some games with it. My impressions:

- I'm not that used to an Xbox 360 controller. This doesn't feel as different as other people led me to believe.
    - I wouldn't use this for any game where a 360 controller already works well. Just use the 360 controller (unless you don't have one). I don't see it as "better" if the game was designed around the 360 controller. There's just no point or benefit.
    - The controller essentially emulates a really fancy mouse. It can be used as a mouse in Windows with zero setup. That's been cool on my HTPC.
    - I need to try some games that were designed with mouse and keyboard in mind, like Cities: Skylines or a point-and-click adventure. I think the controller will shine in those situations.
    - I now don't feel like I'm limited to certain games on my HTPC w/ an Xbox 360 controller. I can now play anything. Some games may take some tweaking, but at least now I have a solid option.
    - The trackpad on the controller is the best I've ever used. I tend to really hate track pads, but this one responds in a really intuitive way. It just feels right.

8. bsp

bsp Minimodder

I tried a logitech controller with the walking dead games. Worked well IMO.