1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Two pumps or not two pumps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law99, 9 Dec 2013.

1. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Not much of a question really is it?

I may be going crossfire in the new year (dependent on redundancy cash, new job, new washing machine) as I'm running eyefinity with 1280x1024 monitors.

I have a cpu block, a 120.3 rad, a 120 rad, a gpu block, single res... I'm currently running only 2 angled fitting also, both at 45 degrees. Pump is the ek dcp 4.o Obviously with another gpu block in the equation there will be. And, do I go parallel or series... ? (I'm going ot use the hd adapter method to connect them as I fancy using some copper pipe in the future, so may as well get used to it in the present. These and the requisite pipe.)

Would it be overkill to put another ek dcp 4.0 pump in series? And if it is overkill, is it the good sort of overkill or the bad sort?

I read loads on watercooling when I first fitted it altogether to make sure I made no serious faux pas, or killed myself or something, but I've lost interest in learning now... :duh: I just want to whack it all together and forget about it.

Preferably I'll make the decision after not distinctly ungentlemanly guidance. :dremel:

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Single pump will be fine. Dual pump would be a bit overkill for a CPU + dual GPU rig. Could make it look cool, but functionally it would be a waste of cash.

law99 likes this.
  3. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Adding another pump won't increase your flow rate, it will only increase your head pressure, when running in serial, you have to run parallel for increased flow rate.

You would only really need to increase the head pressure when running a very large loop, I use a dual pump setup with my chiller, cpu, motherboard, 4 X gpu blocks and a 15 litre reservoir.

In a standard loop like you are running there would be no need for it, if you want a better flow rate with more head pressure you'd be better off selling the ek and picking up a laing d5 it's a single pump, higher flow less mess solution

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: 9 Dec 2013
    law99 likes this.
  4. law99

law99 Custom User Title

This hidden option C is one of the things I was thinking.

Yeah, evidently from EK's own website it should be ok as they, in some of their marketing shots, are using a single dcp 4.0.

TBH, part of it is that I've had the pump for a year or so now and I think it might be time to retire it to someone more willing to risk further service. (so series would have been stupid anyway.)

D5 and a top I think is the way for me... I like the res combo tops also... not sure how I'd put it in my case though... (there is plenty of space, just not enough imagination in my head at the moment.)

although at the same time, I see no reason why I couldn't run two in pumps in parallel. But then I'd probably want to get some wider hosing... and that sounds like effort as I'd have to get more god damn fittings. (I have loads... I don't want to make them all redundant.)

Another reason why another pump is good is I'd like to quieten my server build... and watercooling the hdds may be the way I go so I can remove all the fans, or at least turn them down to low as they go. I need one on full to get reasonable airflow across the 3 drives. Not sure how much I want a pump blasting away 24/7 either though.

5. sandys

sandys Multimodder

second pump in series for failover is not a bad idea.

6. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I quite like that idea, but not having to bloody check the critters. Would an extra pump add a lot of resistance if it dies? And what is the easiest way of checking? Touch?

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Yes probably but only having one dead pump is and no backup is not ideal, that said I have been running a pump for nearly 10 year with no problems, so could be superfluous.

law99 likes this.
  8. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

I run two pumps to increase head pressure and just in case one pump fails. I have a Koolance RP-401 x2 reservoir that can accommodate all of this into a single drive bay (DDC pumps).

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Are their flow monitors that can shut your PC down? That might make more sense as if the pump dies with me present I can visually tell from the res on startup and from temp alarms, but if I leave it running... and I ain't there...

Then I'll stick with a new d5 plus top.

How do you check if a pump has gone down? Monitor flow rate and pressure? Would the pressure be high enough to make an analogue display twitch? (I like the idea of an analogue one showing bar or psi or whatever...

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You can control some pumps with fans headers and use them to set flow rates based on temperature and of course shut down yes, using the likes of speedfan for this.

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

My dcp is molex with fan header I believe... must be as it is plugged into my fan controller. Perhaps I should buy a proper controller... **** sake, I'm spending in my head now.

Is this just a faceplate? Why soooo cheap?

12. dead beat

dead beat Rippin six 4 life

My fan controller runs my pumps and it reports back the RPM of each pump, so I can see they are both working ok.

law99 likes this.
  13. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Oh yeah. Forgot about that. Maybe it is time to buy a better controller then.