1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Which size tube?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by robump, 24 Apr 2012.

1. robump

robump Minimodder

Just wanting your opinions....

What is the best diameter for water-cooling tube. I used to use 1/2" on barbs, but would like to use compression this time around.

What do you all rate as the best size of tubing to use of compression fittings? 1/2" again?

Thanks

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

There's next to no difference between tubing size in terms of performance between the various sizes in common use so it purely comes down to personal preference. However, there's pretty much the same range of compression fittings available for 1/2in as there is for 3/8in, less so for 7/16in though. Just make sure you get the right fittings for your size of 1/2in tubing depending whether the outside diameter is 16mm (5/8in) or 19mm (3/4in) else the tubing won't be compressed in the fitting and could come loose (or won't fit at all).

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've found that 3/8"ID, 5/8"OD has the best bend radius which is useful if you're working in tight spaces (and looks less 'chunky' than larger sizes) but if you don't plan on having too many bends then whatever you prefer the look of. Although there was a lack of that size fitting a while ago they're getting more common now.

4. robump

robump Minimodder

Ok, thanks for both your help, i will do a bit more investigation