1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Project KOS-MOS

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 23 Sep 2005.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. J-Pepper

J-Pepper Minimodder

where in Kiddi did you get the cnc done?

I've been looking for places around that could do them and i'm near the area, but contacting someone who has had 'experience' in computer modding (!) is a plus.

3. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

Its an ok mod.

I would love to see more paint or some sort of a mod that uses part of the motorcycle on the case.

4. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

5. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It was well enough executed as you say, but I'm not seeing anything other than some paint, stickers and a laser etch (which was done by an outside company)

It does have a clean neat look to it though.

6. Asphix

Asphix What's a Dremel?

What else is needed? Why does someone need to go crazy? Sometimes simple design is just as effective, and in the end case modding is about customization of a case tailored to the creator. Monet wasnt any more of an artist because he used a greater variety of color in his paintings than many other artists of his time. Nor were his paintings any more of "real paintings" due to that. Other artists works werent any less because they didnt incorporate the same style or push the boundaries the same as him. Not all case modders are out to do something new, or be completely unique in style and technique. A lot of times its just the desire to create something custom thats beautiful and has meaning to them while having fun with the process.

But on topic, all i have to say is WOW. The case came together VERY nicely. It has a very nice look that holds true to the design/look/feel of Xenosaga! I'm very impressed!

Last edited: 23 Sep 2005
  7. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Agreeing with Asphix here.

Sometimes, the beauty is in the simple attention to detail, not in the complexity of the mod itself. I am having a hard time coming up with a single part of this that is not excellently executed.

For instance, most people would stop at the vinyl on the side of the case. They wouldn't think to do things such as the little V's by each screw on the watercooling part, or the KOS-MOS labels both up and down on the black part of the front bezel, and I've not seen someone put the effort into labeling each spare drive slot for that industrial look. And then he put more inside on the CCFL cover, etc. Just these little details that really bring it out as a labor of love and not some rush job.

About the only change that I would have considered would maybe be putting 2 thinner windows in, etching the blue parts on one and the white parts on the other, then using LEDs embedded in the window edge to light them. Then the etching would really come alive. Currently, I think it gets a little washed out with such strong blue backlighting, which is a shame for such terrific work.

Overall, I really think that the target "feel" was hit perfectly without being overdone, a delicate balance to walk for sure. It looks nothing like the big, boring steel box that he received, yet he did it without cutting holes or tearing it all apart. Great job and a worthy article.

8. Morpheon

Morpheon What's a Dremel?

Well Done :rock: ...but we are jaded now so thats why me and the others here feel its a bit basic... but for a first timer youre off to a fantastic start.

Keep it up...and next time really let your imagination go wild :dremel: ( <----and use one of those at least once on the next case :thumb: )...just make sure you save the dollars to do it!! :hip:

and oh yes you must simply do the white lazer LED mod to light that etch up....you could do a combination of blue and white but I promise you that its an easy $12 job that would take an afternoon and really set it off !! :hip: :hip: :hip:

9. God_Of_Death

God_Of_Death What's a Dremel?

i am a huge fan of the xenosaga series. the case has nice little details but seeing as how it is named after KOS-MOS i thought it would have been bigger and much more extravagant.

don't get me wrong. the case is great but it falls short of what the KOS-MOS character is.

*i am not bashing the case....just pointing something out.*

10. GigantoR

GigantoR What's a Dremel?

This is a very clean mod. I have done the PSU rewiring before and that is no easy task. Mine looked nowhere near that good, so I give him major props for that.

11. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

PSU rewired, centralised lighting, custom milled case badges, tiny little details everywhere... It's a lovely clean mod that isn't too flashy but could attract your attention for ages trying to find every little mod

12. randOm^whine

randOm^whine What's a Dremel?

Machine Specs.?

Congrats on the amazing work on your KOS-MOs project.
    I was just wondering the specs on the machine.

13. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

a very classy mod, well done :)

14. DarkInferno

DarkInferno Minimodder

I like.

I'd also be interested about the information about the miller :D

15. Evil-Dragon

Evil-Dragon What's a Dremel?

Well done Bill (Gunsmith) i knew you'd finally make the big time. You're probably wondering who this is... i'll give you a clue i went to college with ya mate!

I've split up with the gf after things hit the fan and have moved back to Ward End now. Drop me a line if you read this.

Regards
    Matt :D

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

cheers guys, i know it doesnt seem like much but i kinda went for the style over excess approach, my next case will be a little more adventurious. im trying to dig up the info on the miller to pass on to you guys as it was ages ago when i got the badges made.

as for the specs

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ "Clawhammer"
    Gigabyte GA-K8VNXP ultra motherboard
    1024 Crucial BallistiX DDR 3200 @ 2-2-2-5
    Asus V9999ultra @ 475/1200
    Aeropower Aerocool II 520w PSU modded
    2x Western Digital Caviar 120gig HDD
    1x Western Digital Caviar 160gig HDD
    1x Western Digital Caviar 180gig HDD
    Koolance PC3-720SL chassis (
    Koolance CPU-300-le06 waterblock
    Koolance GPU 180 waterblock
    Koolance VID-NV2-L06 waterblock
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2

ok shes showing age but with some TLC she still belts a lot of new titles about ^_^

i will post the details of the miller

17. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

OMG EVIL-DRAGON! HOLY **** I HAVENT SEEN YOU IN YEARS!
    i dont have you're number tho. pm it me and ill give you a call.

18. Evil-Dragon

Evil-Dragon What's a Dremel?

PM'ed :D

Good to see you're still alive and doing good work, i found some of your artwork the other day from ages ago... I see your photoshopping skills have got even better :)

19. Brassfinz

Brassfinz What's a Dremel?

This mod is Gorgeous! That etching is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen on a computer. I've always thought that etchings did little more than get in the way of the view, but this one has changed my mind. I think it'd look even better all lit up by some white/blue LEDs.

Also, wonderful job on rewiring the PSU. It's takes some ballz to open those things up (especially for a 1st timer).

Ralphie got an A+++++++++++++++++++++++++, and so do you! :rock:

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

for those of you who wanted to know who my miller is give John a call at CB Patterns and tools on 01299 832 042

Tags: Add Tags