1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SLI and Folding

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Synay, 1 Apr 2010.

1. Synay

Synay What's a Dremel?

I have a short question: Is it possible to fold with SLI enabled or do I still need to disable the SLI and connect another display or dummy plug? I heard some talking on few websites that with the new drivers you don't have to do those things anymore, that just flaging "-gpu 0" "-gpu 1" would do. Could you tell me if that's true? Thanks.

2. Paddy4929

Paddy4929 NangO-Gamer

You have to disable SLI to run folding on more than one GPU at a time. You need another monitor to plug into 2nd GPU but most use dummy plug. Also depends on operating system, I think that XP does not require dummy plugs but vista and win7 do. Someone correct me if i'm wrong. There is a straightforward guide on Folding@home webby for multi-gpu setup.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

With the new (well they're almost a year old now) drivers it is possible to fold whilst sli is enabled, I can't say I've tried though as all my rigs are dedicated

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Will you get more PPD if you've enabled SLI?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

No.

You get no benefit trying to run in SLi. The new drivers just stop you from having to disable SLi to fold on both gpu's (independantly) like you used to have to do.

6. AlchemyFire

AlchemyFire What's a Dremel?

If SLI is enabled, do you still have to run a separate client for each card?

7. NoPrisoners

NoPrisoners I love my dremel

Yes you will have to.

8. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Yes can confirm from drivers 190.xx you can leave SLi on and do not need dummy plugs but you still need to run 2 clients using the -gpu 0 and -gpu 1 flags :)

9. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

not always completely true (and if one video card turns off when SLI is on it tends to take the PC out with it)

SLI can depend if you have 1 gb per card, if you only have 512mb video card or some times 768mb based cards the client will error if the project is using 400mb like both of mine are now(one 438 and other one 400mb SLI is off,if SLI is on it fail soon as i start the folding client on my system and will not fold unless i use dummy plugs or active KVM), SLI copies the data to both cards some of the projects use 100mb so they are ok (still think Nvidia and ATI should be selling cards as usable ram on the Dual gpu cards as 1gb-2gb-4gb cards is not the usable frame buffer on dual gpus)

Some users are lucky and are able to do SLI even thought the project is using more then what the max usable is available (like 9800GX2 is an 512mb card when SLI is turned on GT200 cards is 768 or 1gb depending) may be that the GT200 cards allow this to happen

dummy plugs are hit and miss, as well still that may be related to GT200 cards (i do not own any so unable to test it see if its the GT9x or lower cards that have that issue)

Tags: