1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Codemasters Site and Databases Hacked

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Houndofhell, 10 Jun 2011.

1. Houndofhell

Houndofhell One Particle to Rule Them All

Hi all,

Another gaming company hacked, just received an email from codemasters informing me that their site and databases were hacked on the 3rd of June. According to the email the following were compromised:

I have to admit thats not bad turn around compared to some of the others. Any security personel they have had probably only finished the preliminary examination when this email was released.

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Monimidder

Had the same email too - no mention of coga accounts in that list and fortunately use a different name/pass for the forum/main site (was careful to differentiate these). Seemingly a wise move!

3. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Likewise received an email. Nothing amiss for me as yet, passes changed anyway. Getting a little bit sick of changing all my frikkiin passwords for emails and stuff now. :wallbash:

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

I thought codemasters was anti sony too.. oh well least financial information and passwords were kept safe

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Re-reading through that email again and i'm now pissed.

Once again with a company having its services hacked it takes A WHOLE ****ING WEEK to notify their users! I hadn't noticed the date at first since i was too busy checking what might have been compromised. Seriously, a week, its as bad as Sony in that respect. If any details were taken which could be used to access, say, an xbox live account then that's a full week that the perpetrators have to use those details.

I'm thinking that some legislation should be implemented to ensure that, if this kind of thing happens, companies are bound by law to inform their clients immediately upon discovery of the intrusion.

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Effectively the same as what Sony lost then, except their passwords were encrypted. All of the real world information still lost and ready to be sold telemarketers and junk mail companies!

To think people were so shocked about what could be lost when Sony got hacked, just goes to show this really is the industry norm, unencrypted personal details obviously are commonplace. Hopefully people will realize that the real people to blame are the hackers themselves.

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

This is getting silly. I'm going to have to start having separate passwords for every online account I have.

8. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

I got the email too and don't even remember when I signed up to the codemasters website - passwords encrypted though so I don't have to worry about changing much :)

9. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

So Codies, Sony or any other company has no liability in these matters? At the end of the day, they're in a position of trust. Further, we're the ones who allow them to be in that position.

10. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

When your house is broken into, make sure you blame yourself and not the burglers. Dont waste the police time in calling it in when your to blame.

End of the day we wouldnt need all this stupid security if people were honest and have morals.

Nothing is entirely secure,if acriminal is determined then you have no chance. Hell the USA goverment gets hacked all the time and they have much better security than Codemasters, Sony could ever have.

12. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The point of security is to make it unprofitable to steal something.

Also, the police are part fo your security. If, as you say, anything can be broken into with enough determination then what's stopping burglars stealing if once they've done the deed they know there's no chance of getting caught? If you've left your door unlocked or left your wallet in the sun then yes that is your fault for making yourself an easy target but there's no point in letting a thief go unharassed simply because he could steal the item because, as you say, it's impossible to be 100% secure.

EDIT: I sense you may have been making a sarcastic comment there i which case take my apologies (although it's your own fault, you didn't guard against faulty sarcasm detectors enough!)