1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other New Version of Synology NAS Diskstation

Discussion in 'Software' started by Parge, 6 Sep 2011.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Is out now!

Does it wipe your hard drives if you upgrade?

Last edited: 12 Jan 2012
  2. Matticus

Matticus ...

Speaking from no experience and with no actual evidence to back me up, I would hazard a guess at no, it does not touch your data.

I assume it isn't even going to go near your hard drives, aside from maybe using a small amount of space to download the new firmware/os.

If it were to touch your data I would be very surprised and wouldn't go near a Synology box.

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

OMG, i was actually thinking when can i get 3.2 last night! thanks for heads up.

no it won't touch your data, but it is advised to back up important parts. i upgraded from 2.4 to 3.0 and then to 3.1 all without loosing a single byte of data.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Version 4 is currently in Beta and looking great!

Includes dropbox solution for auto monitoring of folders on external computers and then backing them up automatically.

Looking forward to this one.

5. wyx087

since i've finished uni. i've never put Dropbox to use, so not sure of this new feature's usefulness. however, having said that, i do see myself setting up my personal files to use this CloudStation. stuff that i didn't use Dropbox for security reasons. (eg, passport scans, job applications, CV's)

what i am looking forward to is the antivirus, and hopefully more touch friendly UI. hopefully it won't break my: Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Transmission and Sabnzbd setup.

here's a few more details and a marketing image.
    http://scalewireless.ee/2012/01/coming-soon-synology-dsm-4/

TheStockBroker likes this.
  6. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Good God.

I have a Synology box which I bought last year. Currently it's at capacity; holding what it can of my 6Tb series collection.

I'm a series hoarder. I like to have every episode of all of the shows I've watched and am currently watching.

To date I have painstakingly compiled this library by hand, and am still in the process of doing so.

This application will ease my burden greatly once I figure out how to get it actually running on the NAS box. I've just spent the last few minutes running it through RDP on one of my home PCs, and had it index my collection, ah, how nice it is to see exactly what's missing!

Have rep my friend!

Last edited: 18 Jan 2012
  7. wyx087

installing it is super easy now:
    http://synoblog.superzebulon.org/

i followed a very lengthy tutorial and only worked for a while. found that package and re-installed my library to have found everything working better than before :D. those spk's will install like every other standard Synology package.

Sickbeard is the best application since sliced bread. it auto-finds, auto-downloads, auto-renames and manages all your TV shows with so much ease.

(for auto-download, only works with new episodes, and you must have NZB accounts)

(although unfortunately, American Dad fails to work :( and Futurama it insists on using TV first air dates instead of production date, former makes Futurama episodes loose continuity)