1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Ipmonitor - Similar product - Network Monitor

Discussion in 'Software' started by Margo Baggins, 1 Nov 2011.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello guys,

Trying to find some softwares to use.

Theory is - I am building a load of mITX boxes (currently built 1 - for testing), we want to put these boxes in our customers networks and have them talk back to a central computer we will have here in the office. Ipmonitor does this but it is extremely expensive.

I am hoping to be able to run some kind of Linux on this box, as the whole project will become too expensive if we have to start getting a license for each of these boxes.

Have also been looking at nagios - anyone used this before? can it be run from Linux?

If anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Nagios runs on Linux & would do network monitoring for you using agents & SNMP.

We opted to use Kaseya in the end. It wasn't cheap but worked a lot better for what we needed.

3. Margo Baggins

well unfortunately, I think for the immediate future cheap is the name of the game. Its only a "test" service at the moment, but eventually we want to charge for the service and be more proactive for our customers.

I will have a look at kaseya.

Do you know how good nagios is for multi sites? I mean, viewing the information, ultimately down the line it would be nice if we could have a peep at all of our networks fairly easily and in one place.

The most important features to start with are:

service monitor
    port monitor
    disk space monitor

Last edited: 1 Nov 2011
  4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Nagios can relay information from local collecting stations back to a master system for monitoring etc.

If you want fairly cheap monitoring then look at GFIMAX. It's a per agent license so isn't too bad & has a 15 day free trial.

Kaseya cost us over £165000 so you may need to start off with something like GFIMAX then build up to it.

Margo Baggins likes this.
  5. Margo Baggins

yeah just been mulling gfimax over with my boss. Thanks for your input saspro :)

6. Margo Baggins

I went for a Nagios fork called Icinga - using check_mk because of its amazing integration and multisite/livestatus backend - today finished designing my system, got it up and running, have a multisite distributed monitoring system with a master server at work in the office, now working on building mini-itx systems to put on site to monitor servers and network infrastructure.

Only got it properly working this evening, learnt absolutely loads over the last 2 months I have been working on it. A little bit over the moon I have got it working, happy I can roll it out now to clients and be a bit more proactive with their sites.

been documenting it all quite heavily, will link to my blog when its all up

7. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'll be interested in reading that